PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket break

dontscratch
06-04-2004, 01:52 PM
This might seem a simple question to people who play a lot of one pocket, but here goes.The majority of the time when I break, my cue ball hits my opponents end ball before it gets to the rail.How do I correct this and thanks for your replies.

Rod
06-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Describe your break, english and where from. You need to skim the first ball with fairly heavy inside english. If you don't or hit the second ball fat the end ball moves to fast. Check if the rack is straight and tight, especially on the break side.

Rod

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 02:21 PM
One of the biggest reasons for catching that last ball is often not hitting the break hard enough. Split the front two balls (Favoring the front ball) with inside english and don't be afraid to hit it with a little speed. Where are you breaking from by the way?

dontscratch
06-04-2004, 02:22 PM
I break two balls off the rail with what I think is top right , and I aim to cut the head ball as thin as possible.If I do succeed in not hitting the end ball my cue ball usually ends up at the second diamond instead of closer to the third as desired.

Troy
06-04-2004, 02:38 PM
First, try placing the CB a bit closer to the side rail, maybe one ball width away.
Second, if you're using top, right, I assume you're left handed (Willie Jopling indicates this in his latest tape -- righties break from the right side, lefties break from the left side). Either way, you should be using high, inside english.
Third, if you're only making it up to the scond diamond, try a bit more speed. The ideal break is to leave the CB between the second & third diamond as close to the side rail as possible.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dontscratch:</font><hr> I break two balls off the rail with what I think is top right , and I aim to cut the head ball as thin as possible.If I do succeed in not hitting the end ball my cue ball usually ends up at the second diamond instead of closer to the third as desired. <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
06-04-2004, 02:43 PM
You don't really need any top. Right is ok if you break from the left side. Now you said what I think is top right, which is a puzzle. You have to be accurate and for sure use inside, it skims the rack and it kills the c/b off the end rail. Move the c/b in about 6" and try from there. Tables and conditions are different so there is not just one correct way. You can even break a ball farther down as an alternate.

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 02:59 PM
The third diamond isn't an advantage. The second one is. Ok, I'll give a little 2 1/2 but 2 is better. IMHO I think your opponent's tilting the rack. It could also be your catching too much of the head ball.

Well, the cb sounds like the right place to break from but the high right may be your problem. I use 1 cue tip to the right with 1/2 cue tip above ctr, try it. The speed is a lag stroke as you know already because your landing ok. The cb should be froze or near froze to the side rail.

Also take into concideration what Rod mentioned. He's quite a big guy and he likes to put people in headlocks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~onepocket.org fan.

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Troy,

I thought that's what he meant? About the cb positioning. Anyway, good stuff.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
06-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I like this break... takes a lot of practice which i have yet to do so i am not that great at it. Yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aim for forth diamond or (A) and bank the cue into the rack where some of the balls should spread towards your pocket leaving the cue ball frozen aganst the Rack.
try it out let me know if it works for you.
Wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/preset/8ball.html)

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5R0%DJ5O4%EJ5M0%FL6N2%GK6N9%HL6O5%I M7P1%JK7Q5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6M6%NM7N9%OK6P2%Ph3D7%QT1]6%RL5P8%WN4R1%XV1[1
%]W4Z8%^g8E3%eB4`1
)END

Rod
06-04-2004, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> The third diamond isn't an advantage. The second one is. Ok, I'll give a little 2 1/2 but 2 is better. IMHO I think your opponent's tilting the rack. It could also be your catching too much of the head ball.

Well, the cb sounds like the right place to break from but the high right may be your problem. I use 1 cue tip to the right with 1/2 cue tip above ctr, try it. The speed is a lag stroke as you know already because your landing ok. The cb should be froze or near froze to the side rail.

Also take into concideration what Rod mentioned. He's quite a big guy and he likes to put people in headlocks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~onepocket.org fan.

<hr /></blockquote>

Good reply CC. Yes I tower over you don't I ? I must be a whole 1/2 inch but I'm shrinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I should have mentioned I like more side than top but if you error make it on the high side. New cloth really needs some spin, not to mention sometimes I hit em a tad hard. Where is everyone at onepocket.org, hasn't been a post lately?

Rod

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 03:59 PM
With all due respect, don't ever break like that, It gets you nothing. You will not find a good one pocket player on the planet that uses that break. It would be the equivalent to safe breaking in 9-ball. How can you run out if you safe break. The break is a shot in the game just like any other, it just happens to be the first shot. If the opportunity came up in the course of the game to advance my position as much as the break can in the beginning, I would be an idiot not to shoot it. Your break is a complete waste of what the break can do for you. Even an average player or beginning one pocket player can and should develop a good break. The break is not a survival shot, it is an aggressive shot that will set the tone of the game for you.

BillPorter
06-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Assuming that the balls are racked on the spot (and not an inch or so in front of the spot) and assuming that the rack is straight and assuming that you thin hit the head ball, I'll bet most scratches are the result of a gap in the line of balls on the side you break from. If there is a gap in this line of five balls, the corner ball or the one just before the corner ball can kiss the cue ball into the corner pocket. You'll hear that little double click as this happens. I tried to upload a scan of a page from Eddie Robbin's book that explains and shows this very well, but I'm not sure I succeeded. Just in case I did, this link will take you to the page. http://bfanta0.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/one-pocket-break.jpg

BillPorter
06-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Hey everyone, sorry about upload the world's largest image. To see the part of the image I was writing about in my response, scroll to the right-hand column and down a bit. Hope this helps.

Fred Agnir
06-04-2004, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dontscratch:</font><hr> This might seem a simple question to people who play a lot of one pocket, but here goes.The majority of the time when I break, my cue ball hits my opponents end ball before it gets to the rail.How do I correct this and thanks for your replies. <hr /></blockquote>Crazy question deserves a crazy response. I'm guessing you're aiming exactly the same way every time. Stop. Change. Observe. Adjust.

Fred

nAz
06-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Popcorn thanks for the thoughts I love all your advice it almost always opens my eyes. I did not think that shot would be considered a safe. I thought that if i left the CB frozen to the rack my opponent would not be able to play a shot without scratching or leaving me a shot. well i guess that is assuming that the lay out looks like this after the break...
START(
%AO4O2%BL7P8%CJ1R1%DI8O4%EH7E6%FM1M9%GK2N6%HL6O5%I N0O7%JK5Q4
%KJ1P7%LD8L8%MK0J0%NN1L6%OK3P2%PN0Q1%R`9_0%eB4`1
)END

Uh wait a min. If i break from the right side of the table do i HAVE to take the left pocket? remember there is no one around me that really plays this game so i do not understand all the rules.

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi nAz,

Yes, I've seen this break and I can nail it quite often but I look at the advantages vs the disadvantages. Advatage, the break IMHO done the normal well, most players way is equal to 1 1/2 ball advantage. It's quite often you'll make the corner ball and have a chance to run out. You might even jar the corner ball in your pocket for a good shot and get the safe to a degree. I'd just kick it in but still you'd get the ball.

The break you suggest is good for playing someone that might not know what to do but you can easily give up the rack too. Like this on many occasions,
START(
%AR6K9%BL7P8%CK7Q4%DJ8R5%EN5O3%FK6P1%GK6N8%HO2M2%I M2N7%JK6M5
%KJ3O4%LI1L2%MJ3M9%NN4E8%OK0F3%PN0Q4%WC9Z9%XJ7S0
)END
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Plus, you have put the opponent in an aggressive mode from the start.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
06-04-2004, 05:47 PM
No. Your pocket is determined by the direction you intend to move the balls. Having said that, if I were to ever break rail first (right after I grow back all my hair for example.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), I would announce it just to be sure everyone knew I had gone mad..... HAHAHA...

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>Uh wait a min. If i break from the right side of the table do i HAVE to take the left pocket? remember there is no one around me that really plays this game so i do not understand all the rules. <hr /></blockquote>

John in NH
06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Dontscratch,

Popcorn is correct if you don't skim the first ball thin with a firm stroke sometimes you will hit the last ball and scratch in the pocket.

I like to break from the right side (right handed) using inside english, position of cuetip on cueball will vary depending on the type of cloth on table:

Example: Simonis 860 cloth I use top left (10 O'clock) english will react much quicker than with 760.
Simonis 760 cloth I use middle or bottom left (9 or 7 O'clock) on the cueball.

Usually after a little experimenting I can get it right.

Regards,

John

NH_Steve
06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>
Good reply CC. Yes I tower over you don't I ? I must be a whole 1/2 inch but I'm shrinking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I should have mentioned I like more side than top but if you error make it on the high side. New cloth really needs some spin, not to mention sometimes I hit em a tad hard. Where is everyone at onepocket.org, hasn't been a post lately?

Rod <hr /></blockquote> Must be lurking here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
06-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Popcorn I would safe break in nineball hitting the oneball and leaving the cueball on the end rail behind the rack. The balls would be spread out in the lower part of the table. Most nineball players couldn't get out with cueball in hand but for a straight pool player it was no trouble navigating the run out.

The only thing was it turned nineball into a slow game of one pocket. ####

piglit
06-07-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Popcorn I would safe break in nineball hitting the oneball and leaving the cueball on the end rail behind the rack. The balls would be spread out in the lower part of the table. Most nineball players couldn't get out with cueball in hand but for a straight pool player it was no trouble navigating the run out.

The only thing was it turned nineball into a slow game of one pocket. #### <hr /></blockquote>

You're not going to beat anyone who can play like that.

-pigy

#### leonard
06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
If I remember I held my own with Toby Sweet playing that way. The advantage was the player always had to push out to hit the oneball. Then he would have to try breaking the balls again if I passed otherwise the balls are all below the spot and nineball players are lost with the balls in a contained area.

Now with ball in hand nineball the advantage would be with the breaker playing a safe off of the players push out. Then getting ball in hand when the player misses the slam.####

Popcorn
06-07-2004, 07:15 PM
I was watching Buddy Hall playing a guy in Bill Stegall's old pool room one night in Tampa. This guy was a high roller called M.B. none of these southern guys have names just initials. Hall is giving him the last four and the break. for like $500. a game and another thousand or two on the side. M.B. would bet with everybody when he played. You just wanted to follow this guy around because he always lost. Anyway, he is losing as usual and all of a sudden he decides to begin safe breaking and going behind the rack. He wins eight or ten games in a row doing this. Hall tells him he can't do that anymore it is not a fair way to play. Being the loser he is, M.B. goes back to breaking the rack and loses about $30,000. I don't know what ever happened to M.B., maybe some Tampa players can say. I hope he isn't reading this.

Popcorn
06-07-2004, 07:22 PM
My wife came home about a month ago and told me I would not believe who she ran into walking in a parking lot, Toby. I don't think he even plays anymore. He could really play though at one time. He liked that push out and when one foul became the norm it hurt him a little. He refused to play it for the longest time. I think he is back living in N.Y.