PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been shooting pool??

irunrax
06-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Just wondering how long you(anyone) have been shooting pool? I understand that alot of people may have had times in their lives where for what ever reason they had to put it on halt. I find it overwhelming to hear the amount of time spent on the tables, and realize the amount of time i have spent may be only a fraction of someone elses.
I am 26 and have been shooting seriously 4 days weekly on average for about 4 years, and by seriously i mean learning and trying to improve upon my weakness'.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2004, 12:28 PM
6 years of serious pool. Banged 'em around years ago.

I started playing at the tender age of 41 /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PoolFool
06-05-2004, 12:32 PM
1st time was in 1957. I was in a pool hall when JFK was shot. I played, and won, my 1st $100.00 game (straight pool to 150)in 1964. I gave up pool for family and job in 1969. I started playing again in 1999 and average 4 nights a week. As soon as I can get rid of this woman I've been married to for 38 years I'll play 6 nights a week.

PoolFool

Tom_In_Cincy
06-05-2004, 03:37 PM
I first played in the 'waiting room' of a bowling alley in 1965.

Got real serious while in the Navy from 1965-1968. Been playing a learning ever since. I've got a very understanding wife that gets half of all my winnings.

Troy
06-05-2004, 03:47 PM
My Dad took me to a Willie Mosconi exhibition in NYC when I was about 12. Started "playing" at age 15. Layed off for a while to raise kids and take care of a job. On and off again since about 1980. More seriously the past 8 years.

Troy...~~~ Getting old, but getting better... Like wine... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frank_Glenn
06-05-2004, 04:36 PM
1957 was the first time I played. There was a little Sears table in my grandfathers basement. I was 10. Joined the Navy in 1965 and played until 1974-1975 time frame and quit (Wife, Kids, etc). In 1994 we went to a party at Christmas and there was a bar box in the basement. Two weeks later we went to another party where there was an 8' table. Both times I got on the table and kept it all night. My oldest had graduated HS and moved out, so I got a 7' table and put it in the basement. In 1997 we moved to another house that had room for a 9'. Still in that house, still play on that table.

PoOn
06-05-2004, 05:29 PM
The first time I played was when I was about 8 or 9 at my aunties house but I would only play if there was 3 people and i had to be the 4th. I started playing seriously when I was 13, my cousins dog had puppies and there was nobody else to take care of them besides me so I went over their house every morning and while the puppies were sleeping I would just practice on their 9' table and I realized that this game was that fun and I was getting pretty good at it so until I was 15 I would play at my cousins or aunties house and sometimes at the pool hall. Now im 16 and my mom bought me and my sister a 8' table so I just play on that everyday.

dg-in-centralpa
06-05-2004, 10:24 PM
I started playing when I was 13, and my parents got a used cheap table with a plywood bed that had a warp in the middle. When I turned 21, I started leagues with my uncle. I've been playing ever since.

DG

cueball1950
06-05-2004, 10:41 PM
i would have to say maybe 40 years or so. but like everybody else i took a 17 year break. i started at the boys club then to cue time where ####leonard worked, thats where i first met him. then on to whiteys and so on. played until i was about24 or so then gave it up to marry the beautiful woman i am now married to. Took up playing again about 15 or so years ago. been having fun ever since.(the real reason i started playing again was i was bored and missed playing 3 cushion)...lol......................mike

Pelican
06-05-2004, 10:52 PM
off and on since '58

Ralph S.
06-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey buddy, your hard work has shown through. Believe me. Maybe we can hook up once things on the homefront are settled.

Popcorn
06-05-2004, 11:33 PM
I started playing in the late 50's. Even though I was hooked right from the start, I have gone years at a time and not played at all and picked it right back up. I am in a non-playing time now. I may pass the table and hit balls for a few minutes but never go to the pool room. I have some projects at the moment. I think this board to a degree keeps me interested a little, other wise I may never even think about playing. I like messing with the cues in my spare time, but that is not playing. Even though I have to humbly say pool is probably one of the things I have been best at in my life, it has always taken the back seat.

Malice
06-05-2004, 11:45 PM
As far back as I can remember. I distinctly recall playing while on a family vacation in AZ when I was 11, and at the time my favorite thing to do was the basic three rail bank shot.

My best guess is probably since I was about 9 years old.

nhp
06-06-2004, 12:25 AM
I'm 24 and have been playing seriously since I was 16, that's about 37 years. Did I mention I'm great at math too?

sack316
06-06-2004, 02:29 AM
first "played" when I was probably around 12 or so, but that was just fun at a bowling alley when I wasn't bowling. Really seriously for I think close to 2 years now. Wish I was alot better, but most people say my improvement in such a short time is really good. I'm 24 right now, so here's to the next 50 years of hoping to get just that little bit better from day to day.

dr_billiards
06-06-2004, 02:33 AM
I started playing in 1990 at the age of 21. I learned how to play serious pool in 1992,worked in and owned a poolroom around town, so I used to play on average 12-14 hours a day.I have been playing for the cash ever since.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shooter72283
06-06-2004, 02:41 AM
The first time I ever picked up a cue was when I was 8. My great-uncle had a 9' table in his basement and I went over to his house in PA every day for the week that I was up there visiting my grandparents and played 8ball with my mom. His house burned down the following winter due to an ember jumping out of the fireplace. I didn't pick up a cue again until I was 15 when two much older veteran poolplayers, Casper and Danny Winters (whom you may or may not know of), used to pick me up from highschool a few times a week and shoot around with me until I had to go to work. I never got serious about it until this past December, when I moved back close to home after a breif stint at UNC-Asheville. So I guess I have been playing pool for 12 years, but I have been learning how to play pool for 6 months. If you catch my drift.

irunrax
06-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Ralph S.- Thanks. If you can make it out sometime on the weekend you may give me a call, that it is if you still have my phone number. Hope everything is alright at home, family always comes first. Take care, David

Voodoo Daddy
06-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Since '76 in my dads bar on a 7' Box. Went to 8 & 9 footers in the early 80's...played everyday for 2 decades {yeah, X-mas and New Years too}. Recently stopped completely for my other life love {my '88 HD 8-Ball machine, pics on request only} and my Doll, Shannon!!

Voodoo~~~rode Harley's all through my pool playing but missed out on a ton of miles

Rod
06-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Early 60's but I quit at the height of my career, if I dare say such a thing. I didn't have to, I just wanted to. That lasted for 17 years with a very short term of play inbetween. It was never quite the same after but that is what I chose to do at the time. Now, and then, I love the game but I lack desire plus hold (play enough) to maintain a high level of play.

Rod

UTAddb
06-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I started playing serious when I got my own table way back when I was 16. Oh yeah, I'll be turning 18 next month.

UWPoolGod
06-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Been playing for about 7 years now. Started at 18 when I went to college and they had two 9' Brunswick Centennials in the dorm. Then I moved to the union building where they had 15 and better players!! For the first year I played a good 10-12 hrs/day. You can imagine how the grades were but how quickly I got better. A grouo of 6 players loved the game and we fed off each other (watching videos, reading books/magazines, playing tourneys). Then I actually cared about school so I played 5-6 hrs/day for the next two years. And by that time I was a very good player and only needed a few hours of practice time my senior year, which was good since the higher level classes were more time consuming. Since then I have been playing several nights a week in pool tourneys or leagues. Sucks cause they are all 7 footers, rarely get on a 9 footer. Hope to buy a house in the next 6 months to put in a 9.

It is a nice progression through the stages of a pool player. Banger->shotmaker->tablerunner->tourneyloser->tourneywinner->tourloser->tourwinner

I am at the tourloser stage but hope to enter some events next year in the Pechaeur Tour. Have got in the low money of larger non-tour events so far.

Love the game...will always play it.

catscradle
06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm 58 and have been playing seriously only about 4 years. Played three or four times a year since my teens, always loved the game but more important things like raising my family got in the way. Now I've got putting 4 boys through private high school and college behind me and I've got a little time and money for myself and am trying to enjoy the game a little more seriously. I feel my late start in a serious manner puts a cap on the level I can attain, but I've already improved immensely in the last 4 years. (I was pretty bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Scott Lee
06-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Started when I was a freshman in college (1971), after seeing Jack White do an exhibition. Was immediately hooked, took professional lessons, turned pro four years later, and still playing & teaching every day, after 33 years! God, I love this game...

Scott Lee

sigep1967
06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I saw my first pool being played by my uncle in a country store/bar that he would take me and my brother too when we were 8 or 9 years old(he was a bad influence ha ha) Talked Santa Claus into bringing me a table the next year it was one off those downsized Sears Jobs with balls about 1 1/2" around. No one would play me but my Grandmother and she cheated ha ha she would wait till I missed then rake all of the balls in with one swipe of her stick and just laugh about it as I fussed at her about cheating. My Dad was a minister and the chuch we moved to when I was 13 had a pool table I spent alot of time on that table. I played all through high school whenever I could find a table ( it was a small town) Paid for most of my beer in college on the bar tables which caused me to flunk out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I spent 2 years playing everynight after work at pool hall in Tupelo MS where I really learned the game from the old guys who played in there. After going back to school I suplemented my income on the bar table tournaments usually wininng or in the top 3 then got married had kids and quit playing for about 10 years unless I ran across a table at a party or a bar. Just recently in the last 6 monthes started back playing bought a 9 foot Diamond Pro and closed in the garage now I play every night after I put th 2 knotheads to bed. I just wish there was a decent pool room around here where I live.

sigep1967
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
HA HA Mr. Lee i too saw Jack White play in college. I was walking through the student union at USM carring my cue headed for the pool room there when I saw a table set up out in the lobby with this big white haired guy talking loud and taking on all comers. He saw my stick and started wolfing me to come and play. Well knowing that I would get beat but too embarassed to not play him I agreed and actually beat him the first game. He let me have a shot and I ran out playing 8 ball. Although on the 8 he stops me and says we are playing last hole so you have to make the 8 in the last pocket you made your last ball. So I fired a 3 rail bank in and he just laughed. I never got to the table again. HA HA He was fun to watch.

Cane
06-09-2004, 02:07 AM
I started playing when I was 8 years old. I played almost daily until I was 32, then took a 14 year layoff... I thought it was time I lead a "normal life". Well, two years ago, I picked up a cue again for the first time in 14 years and I was like an addict in a crack house. I play daily now. I operate a pool room in Southeast Oklahoma 5 nights a week, play tournaments on Sundays in Arkansas and league on Mondays. Never been happier... and have finally found a great lady who doesn't mind if I come in at 5am with chalk stained hands. The way things are progressing, we'll find out this fall how she feels about road trips! LOL

Later,
Bob

Leviathan
06-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Ha! I haven't started yet. Give me another five years and ask again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

AS

dooziexx
06-09-2004, 08:39 AM
I was born and grew up in Malaysia and finished my high school in Singapore. Back in the mid-80's, snooker was the main game there. First time I played snooker, I was 14 and I ran 6 balls. Came to the US in 1988 for college and started playing seriously thruout my six years in college. Played in ACU-I events and my best finish was 4th place in the region. Graduated in 1994, played in leagues til 1997 and by that time I was sick of it. Took 5 years off the get married and have kids. Started playing again in 2002 and got hooked. Now I have a table at home and I play in local tournaments and I dont think I will be quitting again any time soon. Just wished that I could hit all the tourneys during the week, every week.....

Colin
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
About 30 years. Now 38.

I had a 6ft table in my bedroom at age 7 or 8. The next year my dad built a billiard room and put in a 12 foot snooker table.

I played a lot at home, but not many tourneys until 1991 when I took up the game more seriously. I played lots of tourneys and hundreds of pub comps from 1992 until 2000. I still play a few tourneys, but there aren't too many I can get to now that I've moved from Australia to China.

k_town
06-09-2004, 05:40 PM
...........i think about 41/2 years but only lately i started playing 4 $$$$$ easy money on the 7 foot tables
but im pulling out a loan and buying myself a 9 footer
and learning 4 real! might half to sell my bed to fit in my place but it'll be worth it. i live 4 pool...... <font color="black"> </font color>

Dagwood
06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
I guess I started playing when I was about 18 and a freshman at UCONN-AP, there was a 9' table in the student union, and I would sneak in after it was locked up and play until 4 or 5 in the morning. Started going to the local pool hall and pretty much forgot about school. Took me about a year to really get into the serious aspect of it, but once I did, I was in the PH from open to beyond closing some nights. Did that for about 3 years. Kinda had to curtail my pool playing habit the last 5 1/2 years, military doesn't offer the freedom of time that I would like, but still play 5-7 days a week, 4-6 hours a day. Oh yeah, I'm 27, so I guess that makes it about 9 years. Great game...wish more people had a passion for it.

Dags