PDA

View Full Version : Smarty Jones loses in the Stretch

dg-in-centralpa
06-05-2004, 10:05 PM
The day started out bad. It was raining as I left home for the Belmont. It was cloudy, dreary, windy, and cold. While it didn't rain at the track, everybody's spirits were high in anticipation of what was to come. As with anything, there were vendors selling paintings/prints of horses, tracks, etc. While my wife ,daughter, and I were checking these out, she noticed someone signing autographs. Here it was Ron Turcotte, who rode Secretariat to the Triple Crown. She was so excited. There weren't many people around him, so I got a picture of him with my daughter.
As the race started the roar of 100 thousand plus people was deafening. As Smarty took the lead in the back stretch, the roar went to another level. At that point I knew the race was lost. Whether it was the jockey or the horse, he tried to open too much of a lead too early. As they came down the stretch, I saw Birdstone coming up and knew it would be close. Smarty lost it in the last 70 yards. The racing gods weren't smiling today. Although I think maybe Nick Zito, who had two horses running, may have sacrificed one horse to wear down Smarty , while the other could have a shot at winning. Only speculation. All in all, it is an experience to be there with a triple crown on the line.

DG - sad that Smarty didn't win /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cueball1950
06-05-2004, 10:32 PM
DG.... I totally agree with your assesment of the race. I have been dealing with horse races thru our local OTB parlor for years now and of course i have been to saratoga every year for the last 20 or so. When they hit the back stretch i also knew it over. But i have to give Zito some credit. he sent out a rabbit to keep the pace honest. Nothing against Elliott, but they should have went with a diferent jockey. 1 that is more use to the pressure and 1 that knows belmont alot better..There were alot of good jockeys in the tack room that would have rode him for free...lol.Anyway, i know we won't see him at saratoga this summer,dam Monmouth, they give the trainer 60k just for showing up and NY will never do that. So we lose out another year without a derby winner. I feel that barclay Tagg ruined funny cide last year by shipping him down there into that heat wave on the day of the race. he has not been the same since. Dam that 60k appearance money. and Tagg admitted he only went there cuz of the 60k. they should take funny away from him and give him to a better trainer. Boy did i go off the subject. glad you got to meet ron turcotte. he is a hell of a gentleman. always has time for fans....................................mike

Sid_Vicious
06-06-2004, 08:17 AM
" he tried to open too much of a lead too early"

I am no vintage race gambler mind you, but I saw that sprint from the outside position to gain one of the front spots, and I thought, "That's not how this horse was run in his last two big wins" and that face, I truly feel was what cost Smarty his home stretch lead. Had he run in the middle of the pack until the last turn, as he's done so well, his gas tank woulda had a reserve for another textbook Smarty Jones burst in the home stretch. Yea, the jockey probably lost our race for us. Any horse that could beat the field by 11 lengths in one race, against many of the same horses from yesterday...something had to have been changed in the format of riding that horse Saturday. Oh well, like you I had a blast yesterday, still wasn't hurt($$) all that much when you balance the wins of all three legs I did get off of this horse, BUT BOY WOULD I HAVE ENJOYED SEEING THAT HORSE OPEN UP IN THE STRETCH AGAIN! sid

Voodoo Daddy
06-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Zito has been the brides maid at Belmont 4 times so congrats to him. Smarty needed very little direction {when the jockey crops the horse} to win the first two legs of thr Triple crown. Notice coming outta turn three he turned the crop on a lil early. Pace in the big race is key, I feel he gave the incentive a lil too early. Meanwhile, Purge, a 9-1 horse showed short promise past the 6 furlong...as did Rock Hand Ten, a 6-1 racetime horse.

Smarty Jones was suckersville at the window going off at 1-5. The 8 for 8 win percentage with 7 million in his bankroll was a little decieving for a tract like Belmont, only the strongest survive. Fun non the less to watch Smarty's owner, a man obviously with his best days behind him enjoy a great race knowing a farm is willing to pay 30 million for Smarty, 40 Million if he had won...nice payday!!

Voodoo~~~loves the ponies, loves his money more...HAHAHAHA

Troy
06-06-2004, 12:10 PM
I heard the announcer say the bid was up to $50 million if Smarty won the Belmont. Wow, that was at least a $15 million loss then. Big bucks !!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> .....knowing a farm is willing to pay 30 million for Smarty, 40 Million if he had won...nice payday!!

Voodoo~~~loves the ponies, loves his money more...HAHAHAHA <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
06-06-2004, 01:56 PM
That race was great and man did Smarty do a great job.

Loved it,

C.C.

dg-in-centralpa
06-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Sid you're right. Smarty had the rest of the field by eight lengths except for Birdstone. Not to take anything away from Zito. He's a great trainer and I 'm glad it was him who won rather than Baffert. I can't stand Baffert. I just read today, the final count was 120,139 people. The most ever. Lines for the womens rest rooms was outrageous. Over 200 waiting in line while the mens' was virtually walk right in. Fianlly the women went in the mens room rather than wait in their own lines. With that many people, modesty goes out the door. Nobody really cared or made comments. Anyway, I'll go back again next year.

DG - still trying for derby tickets

catscradle
06-07-2004, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> ... Fianlly the women went in the mens room rather than wait in their own lines. With that many people, modesty goes out the door. Nobody really cared ... <hr /></blockquote>

Unless of course a line had developed at the Men's room door then you would have seen a lot of people caring. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, hated to hear Smarty lost, I didn't see the race even on TV because I was in a tourney. I fell in love with that horse when I saw him shift into an unknown gear at the Preakness. Good thing I'm not a betting man, I would have lost a bundle on him Saturday.

#### leonard
06-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Your buddy Johnny Ervolino was a handicapper bar none in his youth. Did he ever let that go. If I remember correctly people would back him at the NYC tracks.####

Voodoo Daddy
06-07-2004, 07:25 AM
####, he told more than 4500 times he was the best handicapper in the country...we never once went to the track to put his craft to good use. I would think if he was that solid he would have the world by the shorts, wouldnt he?

Voodoo~~~plays speed numbers and workouts to base opinion