PDA

View Full Version : Vision and pool

bluewolf
06-06-2004, 06:24 AM
FL and I had this argument. He said the really good players have 20/20 and since I did not have 20/20 could not get but so good. I said yeah the balls are a little fuzzy due to astigmatism but i thought that if I kept playing, I would get better. I thought time on the table and if a person was really determined and played all of the time, they could get good. I know some pretty good pool players without stellar vision.

Well I had laser surgery on Thursday. did not expect anything pool wize because I have not played long enough nor put in the time to be good in pool. While waiting to see Harry Potter yesterday, we went into the pool hall. What I found rather remarkable was that the pool balls were now crystal clear, where before they were fuzzy, almost like an impresssionistic painting, and i could actually see where on the object ball I was aiming, whether the shot went into the pocket or not. Before, I could not really see the aim because by the time I got behind the cue ball to shoot,the OB was fuzzy, I was shooting by appoximation and trying to learn by feel. But never once did I consider vision to be a factor, but inexperience on my part.

I had really good vision when I was young but did not play then and wonder from others who started playing with less than perfect vision, how much is this a factor, really?

Laura

Popcorn
06-06-2004, 10:52 AM
I play looking at the fuzzy balls, but if I put on my glasses and get in a position so I can see through them I can tell the difference right away. I would be defiantly much better easier if I could see. I may get a set of those glasses with the adjustable things for playing pool. It is funny what you can get used to, when I first got glasses, I had needed them for some time, I looked up at the trees and could see leaves. I had just gotten used to seeing the world in a different way, with everything slightly out of focus as though it was normal. I would be afraid of the operation though, I think I will stick with the glasses. I have a friend who got it recently, he is a car mechanic and just could not work under cars with glasses. He is very happy with the results.

Koopa
06-06-2004, 11:29 AM
I've got Myopia and wear hard contact lenses. I've never really thought about it, but I play a lot of shots (especially long angled shots) mostly by feel and tend to miss a lot of them.

I've been thinking about getting laser surgery, but I'm still note sure.

Rod
06-06-2004, 12:01 PM
It's a big factor IMO. I use to have perfect vision and could literally make almost anything even with spin and play position. Now I hesitate to push out leaving certain difficult shots. Where before they would make me take the shot, until of course they didn't want me to have it but were afraid to take it themselves. It was a big advantage since we played push out years ago. Even now it is an advantage and today I feel near the opposite but experience helps a lot.

Just hitting the pocket where intended or shooting past other balls is huge. It comes up all the time and looking at fuzzy objects just isn't the way to go. Without my contacts in it is just a good guess based on years of experience. Even with them it is good but not like it use to be, plus I have 1 cataract in the early stage. I played a few games of 8 ball (8 ball what is that? LOL) yesterday after a meeting. I never gave it much thought other than the balls seemed much clearer, without contacts, and I played with a house cue. I lost a game due to vision or maybe lack of interest, anyway the ball did not fall.

I have a pair of HY-Wide's but I feel like I'm in a bubble plus the script is not correct now for my left eye. Vision you say, yes it makes a difference. I like Popcorn's example of, the trees have leaves. Or how about threading a needle or anywhere inbetween.

Rod

Cueless Joey
06-06-2004, 12:02 PM
I had RK back in 95.
I have monovision. I don't the edges of the balls that well.
I do tend to undercut the ball often.
But, I don't let it bother me.
I concentrate on lining up my right eye, right leg and shoulder and elbow and a good stroke.

bluewolf
06-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Ray, I think, got his about 3 years ago. He had 20-400 corrected but was tired of wearing contacts for pool. I think a big motivation of him getting the surgery was for playing pool.

I thought about it for a long time but would not have gotten it just for pool, but it had become a thing that if I had to take the vision test for driving I would not have passed, so it was time to do something. My overall vision is not so severe, just slightly farsightedness but the astigmatism was so bad, everything was blurry.

But that is just me, I would not have paid $4000 just to be a little better at pool (if it does affect me that way, even), because pool is a hobby for me. I can understand why Tiger Woods did it though LOL.

Laura

Malice
06-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I play pool using a pair of glasses I recently got with a prescription optimized for using a computer. Works better for me than my normal lenses. Stuff really doesn't look fuzzy until several feet further than the distances I encounter playing pool.

ceebee
06-06-2004, 05:20 PM
...first of all, please let me say this. Karen Corr is the only successful Professional Pool Player wearing glasses, that I know of.

It is omnipotent that a person be able to see well, in order to play well. If you can't see what you are aiming at, how can you possibly employ eye-hand coordination to complete the task???? If Pocket billiards were a feely type game, there would be several visually handicapped champions amongst us, but there aren't.

I rest my case... cb

JPB
06-06-2004, 09:58 PM
It is important and it isn't just straight acuity that matters IMO. I got glasses when I was 21 and my game went downhill. Then I stopped playing. Then I started again and tried to figure out how to look through glasses. Nothing was quite right. So I got decot hywyds. Same prescription as my regular glasses. I did a test. I sometimes do the 9 ball q skill test thing. I went from scoring around 1100 on my table to a 1250. Instant progress. Your vision has to orient you in space and allow your body to work. Regular glasses make you put your head in the wrong spot or make you stand funny and I think that makes the whole game harder. Having a more natural field of vision helps. I actually think I have probably hurt my golf game, putting in particular, by having to wear glasses.

Can't comment on lasik. But when they get wavefront lasik going I may do it. Anybody even thinking about it better ask around and find a great place to do it. I don't care if you have to get on a plane, take somebody with you, and shell out for hotels in an expensive city. Eye surgery is something you are an idiot to have done by anybody not the best. I dunno who the best are, but if I get it done, I will look for the best and travel anywhere to have the best do it. No 499 per eye deals here. The risk of anything going bad must be very very very low for me to even consider it. As bad as glasses are, I can live with them.