PDA

View Full Version : Why "shortstop"?

Leviathan
06-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Anybody know how the term "shortstop" came into use in pool--why it's applied to good-but-not-great local players?

Thanks,
AS

Chris Cass
06-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi Alan,

I don't really know but from my thinking it's the road dawg that may have cioned the phrase, with the short stops you make while traveling. You play these local players with gamble.

I tend to think of short stops as strong players too. Take Toby from the Cue Club in Vegas. I would concider him a shortstop but I also concider him a great player too. Then there's Dennis Searing (Fla), Super Mario Cruse (Fla), Jesse and Jamie Bowman (IL), Chad Vilmont (IA), Buggs (IL ?), Lee Heewagon (MN), TY Wilson (MN), Mario Prayno (MN)Steve Lipsky (NY), His protage Nick Schulman, Marco Marquez (IL)Shane McMinn (OK), Tina Larson (IL), Pam Bell(IL ?) and the list goes on. These shortstops don't have to miss either.

Regards,

C.C.~~JMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-06-2004, 02:30 PM
It is almost always meant to be a derogatory term, most often used by people who themselves would fall into the same category.

mike_in_iowa
06-06-2004, 03:48 PM
this is how the money flows in the pool world.

the bangers give the money to other bangers.
the best of the bangers give it to the room champs. There the money makes a short stop before it goes to the road players. I read that somewhere once.

mike-in-iowa (wishes he was a shortstop)

Rod
06-06-2004, 04:34 PM
It must depend on where your from. It's like a shortstop in baseball (if you will) it fills a gap but not effective against a heavy long ball hitter. I first heard the term in the 60's and tend to agree with Popcorn's explanation.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
That's the concept that I've always understood Rod. I suppose any of the other answers have merit also, but what you said is what I'd have stated...sid

Chris Cass
06-06-2004, 11:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr>
mike-in-iowa (wishes he was a shortstop) <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHA You are.

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi Popcorn,

I really have never thought about a shortstop as having a derogatory meaning. I've always looked at it as being a positive. The way I saw it was that someone, isn't publically rated pro. Shooters in this catagory have a wide range of speed. I hope I didn't just insult my friend Mike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Also, the other shooters I mentioned. They must be catchers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~learning something new every day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SteveEllis
06-07-2004, 04:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> this is how the money flows in the pool world.

the bangers give the money to other bangers.
the best of the bangers give it to the room champs. There the money makes a short stop before it goes to the road players. I read that somewhere once.

mike-in-iowa (wishes he was a shortstop) <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea which explaination is right, this or the baseball analogy, but if we're voting I take this one, it is a much more colorful explaination.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
06-07-2004, 06:32 AM
I have to agree with his definition, in my day I always heard it used in this way. He is a good shortstop, I never heard it said he is a bad shortstop. ####

Perk
06-07-2004, 07:28 AM
I think the term shortstop is used both ways. In baseball a shortstop for a local ball team is the local stud. He is a strong player for that level of competition. Move him to regional or state level, and he might not even get an honorable mention, or make the team for that matter. Now toss in a national level, and the local shortstop might just be a "rightfielder" in baseball.....Turn it the other way, and a major league shortstop is pretty much at the top. So it would not be negative in that regards.

Bring the analogy to pool, and its easy to see why the term could be used either way. A shortstop in my area wont tread water in a larger city like Detroit. A Detroit Shortstop might tread water in the regional tourneys, etc.

I personally think that it wouldnt be that bad to be a shortstop, if you only play in your pond. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frank_Glenn
06-07-2004, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> I have to agree with his definition, in my day I always heard it used in this way. He is a good shortstop, I never heard it said he is a bad shortstop. #### <hr /></blockquote>

I think of the shortstop as the "best" player in an area. Like someone else posted, the money goes around in a circle and "stops" at the shortstop, who collects it. Eventually a road player comes through and "relieves" the shortstop. The well is dry for a while, and play is slow. Some guys actually get a job! Then, as money comes back into the pool, it goes around and stops at the shortstop again, and the cycle repeats. The road player doesn't always win, btw, and neither does the shortstop.

mike_in_iowa
06-07-2004, 09:56 AM
come to think of it, I might have heard it on Accu-Stats from Grady.