PDA

View Full Version : Define a Tush hog

sliprock
06-06-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm looking for a good definition for tush hog. Got one?
One of Mine would be, someone that tries to intimidate you physically.

Frank_Glenn
06-06-2004, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sliprock:</font><hr> I'm looking for a good definition for tush hog. Got one?
One of Mine would be, someone that tries to intimidate you physically. <hr /></blockquote>

Tush Hog is just an old southern term for a big hog with "tushes" or tusks coming out of his mouth. The term can also be applied to a mean person that likes to fight. As in, "Don't mess with him, he's a real tush hog". And that concludes this week's redneck grammar lesson.

If you look up "tush" aside from meaning "buttocks" it also means tooth.

Popcorn
06-06-2004, 09:10 PM
A tush hog usually keeps things in line just with their presents and have a track record for not bluffing. They seem to like their status and will go places with you for no apparent reason. They are not on your payroll or anything, but will come to your defense in an instant. I was once in a local bar, kind of a bad place. It was like 5:30 and I'm playing in a challenge game with some construction worker types. I soon get the feeling that I am not leaving with the money by the way they are acting. I call the pool room to see if a guy I know called Sugar Shack Johnny is there. He comes to the phone, I tell him where I am and what is going on, then go back to playing. In like 15 minutes he comes walking in and takes a place at the bar to watch the game. He says hello to me and asks if I am beating this bunch of suckers, there is maybe 10 of them mind you. You could hear a pin drop in the place. The guys began leaving and the main guy I was playing did not challenge any more and left. One look at Sugar Shack and you know he is trouble. He was an ex paratrooper about 6 ft 4 inches with a Clint Eastwood type build and eyes that reminded you of a devil. Tush hogs in many cases serve a genuine purpose. They are almost always reactionary and don't start things. Nor do they pick on people, quite the contrary, they will come to the defense of a total stranger.

ras314
06-06-2004, 10:19 PM
A tush hog is one mean orney good 'ol boy with no back up in him when riled.

dr_billiards
06-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I just call people like this NITS! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-07-2004, 12:43 AM
How so? A nit has nothing to do with being a Tush Hog.

BillPorter
06-07-2004, 06:26 AM
I've been called a nit but I never have and never will be called a tush hog. My history of being a non-gambler or, at best, a small stakes gambler, has led to being called a nit on occasion. But TUSH HOG? Never. Because a tush hog is like the guy Popcorn described, physically intimidating, high pain threshold, and the man you want on your side when it gets dicey. In my youth, when I did gamble a bit, I would sometimes go into some of he rougher redneck bars in Dallas (such as the Barbeque Grill) with a tush hog friend (Billy T. Dyer). He was a bouncer in a double-bad local bar and generally known as a formidable street fighter and all-around tough guy. But as has been pointed out in earlier posts, he didn't go around looking for trouble or looking to start a fight. Anyway, we always left with the money.

SPetty
06-07-2004, 07:10 AM
So is "tush hog" a derogatory term? Just the words make it sound like it is, but the definitions given here make it sound like it's not... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Frank your the man!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~thank you for this weeks lesson. next week is duct tape, hillbilly chrome as I call it. hahaha Well, Jeff Foxworthy, is where I got it from. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
06-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Spetty,

In the place and time I was growing up it was a term of much respect. Had to be earned and was not what is called a bully.

Ever see one of those old piney wood rooters (domestic hogs gone wild a few generations)get cornered up by a pack of dogs and you can understand where the term came from.