PDA

View Full Version : #### Leonard

Chris Cass
06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi ####,

I'm curious, can you tell me the thoughts that ran through your mind when you were playing Willie Musconi in the pic I got from you? The exhibition. For that matter Joe Canton or any of those players. I would pm you with this but I think everyone would like to know what was going through your mind and what kept you from falling apart.

What did you think while waiting before your match. During and afterwards? Don't get me wrong I've been there before but not with the best of the best. That had to be earth shattering. Don't think I don't know they didn't think the same of you. Your a world beater too. Did you feel you had them and was stealing? I myself feel like I'm a force to be reakoned with myself but playing with Efren, I just don't know what I'd be thinking? I'd hate to fall apart in that match.

Regards,

C.C.~~cueball 1950 was there...Hey, Steve, you played Alan Hopkins. What did that match feel like?

cueball1950
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
C.C......that particular picture was taken at Cue Time billiards in south Troy. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time. Butch (####LeonARD) should have beaten Willie Mosconi in that exhibition. Willie was traveling as a sponsor of Brunswick Billiards at the time i believe. But somewhere there is an unwritten rule that you never beat the person coming in to do the exhibition. I remember it well. Willie used the same words and phrases in both shows. Everything was just about the same in both shows. But a good time was had by all.................................mike

Chris Cass
06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Mike,

BTW, I know #### had him by the gallunns.(sp) hahaha As you said though, it still isn't what you want to do though. It's the entertainment factor that must be # 1.

I'm thinking #### sat there and while waiting to shoot he said to himself, Hmmmm, I got this guy. I'm not in the least nervous as I probably should be and I know I have to give it up. That has to be one tough choice but to play with someone so well known I'm told is worth one free shot.

Regards,

C.C.

cueball1950
06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
well from what i remember, gosh it has been so long..lol, i don't think he (####) was all that nervous. After all, he had nothing to lose. Just play a few shots and let the "PRO" win. I may be wrong about the nervous part, but i am sure #### will let us know....................mike

#### leonard
06-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Chris I have been giving this post some thought. The first thing that happened with Willie was when I started to hit balls there was a crowd around the table and Willie said after I hit 3 or 4 balls, we are going to play to 200. I didn't want to tell that I was going to let him win no matter what. I have posted before that I always felt that the exhibition player should win and if he ran 150 and out, I would be the loudest clapper. This was based on my thinking that the more great players our customers saw the greater their desire to play pool. They could see me run balls everyday of the week as that was my job description, to play pool as long as I could run the desk and shoot. my best game was a 138 and out with every table going.

Now try this as your mind set. You are going to play Efren and you are going to let him win. Do you really think you would be tense or would you be more relaxed than normal. You would find yourself shooting much better and whoops now you have a chance to win.

In the evening game I had Willie 138 to 31 and I played a bad safe and Willie ran 169 and out. I was never know as a good safe player so it wasn't all that obvious. I was content to show the customers I could play and they got to see a great runout.

He had to be in Philly in the morning or he would have kept shooting. I was sorry to see him end that way.

This I learned having dinner with him that evening. He said "All everyone wants is a 150 and out". It was then I realized the personal pressure he put himself under no matter who he was playing. ####

cueball1950
06-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Great story bitch... keep them coming.....mike

Rod
06-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Leonard,

From my early days of watching Mosconi and I got to play him 3 games of nine ball, interesting huh? I noticed he had the need to perform. Anything less than a stellar performance was not acceptable in his mind. He of course had a few fits along the way. lol

One day playing an exhibition he never went over 40 balls. Mad or very frustrated doesn't really describe how he felt or expressed his feelings. The conditions were very humid and sticky which he eventually mentioned, to put it in moderation.

I know what you mean about pressure. Years later I played Joe Balsis in an Exhibition. It was in front of a rather large crowd with Jimmy Moore present. Practicing I felt rather relaxed and run off a little over 50 and stopped. The match took place with a couple of safeties then Joe made 7 balls, got tied up and kicked at a ball. It hung in the pocket. To this day Iím sure he felt the need to give his opponent a shot. I come back with an 81 and for his reply, run 119 and out. I of course got to watch the way the game should be played. Iím not so sure I would have stopped the run had I not scratched, since I may not be quite the gentleman with your ethics or for that matter even knew they existed at the time.

I believe at the time Balsis was on contract through Brunswick. But back to the topic of mind set or how one feels about playing a champion. I feel much the same as Leonard, what do you have to loose? The pressure, if any is on the champion not yourself. I went in very calm, it even surprised me to an extent. Before hand I was quite hyper but after hitting a few balls it all went away. Now in my later days I canít say it is the same but now I play about 1/20 of what was my norm then.

Now on to another analogy. I use to race a rear engine dragster. I know it has no place here except for a parallel. Race day at a national event I was real hyper, so much my stomach was upset. Once they got me buckled in and I fired the motor, most of my inner emotions went away. It was like being outside (the car) exposed and not in my own little world. Similar to pool in a way because once Iím ready I need the game to put me in my own little world, if you will.

Rod

#### leonard
06-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Rod a great post of course you know how I feel about Joe B.

I wanted you to know that when I was running the Albany Golden Cue which was on Central Ave in Albany ChaCha Muldonney was racing up and down the Ave. The cars would meet at the corner of Colvin and Central at a coffee shop/ice cream parlor.####

eg8r
06-09-2004, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great story bitch... keep them coming.....mike <hr /></blockquote> A bit rude don't you think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (some typo's are hilarious)

eg8r

Chris Cass
06-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi Ed,

You caught that too huh? Well, I know it's a typo too but on the other hand, if I could shoot like ####, you could call me bitch anytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

cueball1950
06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Oh well,,, i did not have my glasses on and when i went to finally correct it they would not let me. Butch knows how i feel about him. he knows i have had nothing but the utmost respect for him for about 40 years now. Cannot believe i did not see that until now. I gotta go back and reread my posts right away.....lol.....sorry ####leonard.......mike

Rod
06-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Leonard,

Thanks for the story, something not many drag race fans know. That lady paid her dues and I have nothing but respect for her accomplishments. I first saw Don Garlits in Denver, driving an old truck with a small homemade open trailer for his car. Like Shirley I'm sure Don did a fair amount of street racing, heck we all did that had an interest. Quite the change from todays traveling hotels!!

Rod

qstroker2004
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
re: playing Mosconi in upstate NY.

What year was this?

thanks,
dwhite

cueball1950
06-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Butch would know for sure. i think it would have had to been about 63 or 64... somewhere in there.......mike

#### leonard
06-10-2004, 06:04 AM
Rod they could have made a movie of the action on that strip. The drive-in would close around 10 and the parking lot would fill up with the hot cars. Matches would be made and the cars would start up Central towards Schenectady. At a certain point the race would begin and end in a quarter mile and they would disappear, the cops hardly ever caught anyone.

When the Colonie Center Shopping Mall was opened that led to the end of Racing on the Street. Then they moved to the Tracks.

Shirley was addicted by then and showed the local men and the nation she could handle the competition.####

#### leonard
06-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Qstroker it was in 64/65 when we opened for business in 63 Willie was busy so we waited till the winter season for the exhibition. f my memory serves me.#### I had posted a reply earlier but I must have failed in my attemt to post it.