PDA

View Full Version : I need a new cue...

Fred Agnir
06-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Fred <~~~ for no particular reason.

dr_billiards
06-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Check out www.madisonbobs.com (http://www.madisonbobs.com) IMHO he makes the best hitting cue, at a very fair price.
Doc B

rocky
06-07-2004, 02:00 PM
You know I would have given you a heck of a deal Fred! I might have even given you another shirt lol!

Tom_In_Cincy
06-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Have you ever considered Pete Omen's cues?
http://www.omencues.com/
I've got one and everyone that has hit with it compares it to a Southwest.

Leviathan
06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
...A clear example of work-related dementia, Fred--your Inside Pool job is making you cue crazy! Let me give you a piece of sincere advice: Don't be strong!

I'm enjoying your columns.

--AS /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Ummm....I think I have an old four piece with removable weights if you're interested. Only $5.00. They sell for $15 on EBAY. What a bargain! lol

DG - parents thought it was neat when I first started shooting

tateuts
06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
No reason is truly the best reason. Perhaps you have been far too practical, too sensible in your life's decisions and you are now experiencing the dire side effects. You have allowed logic, common sense, modesty and humility to dominate your all-too-sane existence. There comes a time when you must be reborn. You must fly free of all self retraint and the banality of normal life. Your ego must be fed like the hungry animal it is. You must come of age, rip off those glasses, reveal that red and blue "S" under your shirt and go for it.

Nothing short of a Tad, Ginacue, Stroud, Black Boar, Lambros, etc. etc. will satisfy your urge, gobbed with inlays of ivory, silver, and exotic woods. Your credit card will know no limit. When you stroke, the world will shudder, men will tremble, ladies will no longer be ladies and children will flee. You need a mind blowing, testoterone churning, stark raving mad, awesome, drop-dead gorgeous, spare no expense custom cue. You only live once. Just do it.

Chris

Rod
06-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes you do Fred, your looking a little naked without another cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We all need another cue, lets start the FA cue movment! LOL

Malice
06-07-2004, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ...

Fred &lt;~~~ for no particular reason. <hr /></blockquote>

Funny, but every time I buy a new cue, it's for the exact same reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Fred,

You know you should get a "Father/Son" combo going, but if all else doesn't work out, go for an Art Cantando or a Mike Capone.

Barbara~~~checked out Eric.'s Capone last weekend - Whoooheee Wowee!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kenz54
06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Perhaps your Schulers need a new brother! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jay
06-07-2004, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Have you ever considered Pete Omen's cues?
http://www.omencues.com/
I've got one and everyone that has hit with it compares it to a Southwest. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes sir, i second that! I will be receiving my omen soon!

Chris Cass
06-07-2004, 10:14 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, you do. LOL

C.C.~~Fred has too much money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jimmy B
06-08-2004, 01:14 AM
2 words

Cuetech

JB

buddha162
06-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Skip!

Weston!

Rich R.
06-08-2004, 03:44 AM

You definitely need a new cue.

Now, can I have all of your old cues??????? ~~~ For no particular reason. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveEllis
06-08-2004, 04:33 AM

We all know that a real man can no more have too many cues than he can have too many tools or eat quiche.
There is Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor and Fred "The Cue Man" Agnir.
Steve. &lt;-- Has two in the works, don't tell the misssus.

#### leonard
06-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Fred I am still searching for that mysterious Black Diamond tip on a twelve dollar cue. That was 45 years ago and I can still feel the hit of that tip. It was worth more than any cue I ever hit.####

UWPoolGod
06-08-2004, 09:08 AM
I must also give Omen a nod. I hit with Tom's and it does hit super hard.

Todd &lt;--- just wishes he could hit with every cue to judge that way.

Eric.
06-08-2004, 09:57 AM
EQUIPMENT WHORE?

Q Anonymous, Fred. One day at a time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;recovering

woody_968
06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> Check out www.madisonbobs.com (http://www.madisonbobs.com) IMHO he makes the best hitting cue, at a very fair price.
Doc B <hr /></blockquote>

I too would recommend Madison Bob, one of the best playing cues I have ever owned and his detail work is fabulous!

Barbara
06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> EQUIPMENT WHORE?

Q Anonymous, Fred. One day at a time /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;recovering <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I would say that's a fair assessment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~but a cute equipment whore... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

haywood
06-08-2004, 02:01 PM
My vote is for Omen. For all that's it's worth, I hit only 1 ball with one up in Valley Forge before I placed my order.

Fred Agnir
06-08-2004, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote haywood:</font><hr> My vote is for Omen. For all that's it's worth, I hit only 1 ball with one up in Valley Forge before I placed my order. <hr /></blockquote>A lot of people on the internet are saying Pete Ohman. He's on the interview list.

Fred

UWPoolGod
06-08-2004, 02:19 PM
www.omencues.com (http://www.omencues.com)

look like a Southwest and hit super. I may look into one in the future. Plus it wouldn't take 7 years to get one...

RedHell
06-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Fred,

Here's question for you...

I met a local cuemaker/hobbyist the other and I was looking at a cue he made. In all honesty it was a very good looking cue, well finnished and the hit was very good. But after closer inspection (read very close), I noticed that certain inlays were not exactly cut sharp.

I'm not sure how to express this, but let's say you look at an inlayed point, certain area of the edge of the point were a little bit jazzy a bit like if the material had microscopic chips.

I mentionned it to him and he told me that it was very hard to avoid those and that he'd seen it on many well known cues. He told me that almost only the machined cues (Viking, McDermott, etc.) didn't have those. And that most of the hand made custom cues are likely to have some.

Is this true... I haven't had the chance to look closely at many real customs and I know you did, hence why I ask.

Fred Agnir
06-08-2004, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> But after closer inspection (read very close), I noticed that certain inlays were not exactly cut sharp.
<hr /></blockquote>I'm not the expert on inlays (or anything else for that matter), but I'll throw in my two cents. I think sharp inlays are difficult to do. And I think the guys that are putting the extra effort to execute them deserve praise. You'll see sharp inlays in ebony a lot because black epoxy can be used to make the inlay points look sharp. If a cuemaker has put a sharp inlay in a lighter wood like maple, and it looks crisp and clean, they've done something special in my opinion.

Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge would like to comment on this?

James??????

Fred

RedHell
06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Well the cue I was looking at was all made of ebony and add micarta inlays. It seem to be the micarta that was somewhat chippy as the glue appears to look black, it's now tough to tell because I saw that cue probably 1 month ago.

This guy seems to make a very nice cue, that was the only thing I noticed about it. The rest of the cue was superb.

I'll try to convince him to lent me a cue for the US Open, so CCB'ers can see his work, that could get him some opportunities !!!

I would appreciate cue makers comment on this.

irunrax
06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
I just saw a nice cue for auction on ebay. One of the "Three Kings" cues by Ray Schuler with three shafts. I would love to bid on it, but i a looking around at new cars. Besides my Schuler does just fine.

bluewolf
06-09-2004, 07:57 AM

hmmm-know you have a Schuler and a layani, so guess you want something different. LOL.

Tim Scruggs is good. I used a Schuler once that belonged to someone else and think that the balance is similar. Slightly front weighted but so expertly done, that it is not noticeable.

Laura

Fred Agnir
06-09-2004, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
Tim Scruggs is good. <hr /></blockquote>Thanks Laura. Timmy is one of the nicest guys in the industry that I've ever met. He told me something about the hit of cues that has stuck with me. He has experimented with several different joints, and made assumptions on why certain joint materials (like ivory) hit this way or that way. But in the end, for him, the common denominator was the flat-faced joint gave the hit he liked.

And from here on out, as far as hit is concerned, flat-faced is where I'm going. Caveat: Unless of course it's a maker who makes a piloted-joint that mimicks a flat-face feel like Schuler or Lambros.

Fred

Fred Agnir
06-09-2004, 08:33 AM
So, here's the latest CCB list:

Madison Bob
Pete Ohman (L)
Tad, (F)
Ginacue, (F)
Stroud, (F)
Black Boar, (F)
Lambros (L1)
Gus/Barry Szamboti Combo (F)
Cuetec (H)
Skip Weston (L)
Tim Scruggs (L)

The legend is as follows:

F: Fantasy List - a list that's been around for over a decade. Some have been on that list for 15+ years.

L: Realistic List - this one revolves. Lambros is at the top of this list currently, and has been for a few years.

H: Have - LOL!!! I've got a Cuetec already!

Fred

Barbara
06-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Fred,

You should also think about a Capone. I hit with Eric's last weekend and it was sweet.

Also, Art Cantando's making some great looking cues that could very likely turn out to be collectible in a few years.

Barbara

daviddjmp
06-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I have been back into playing pool for a little over a year after a long layoff, and this disease must be email-born :-) I have purchased three production cues, sold two of them, bought two customs (still have those, a Capone and a Chudy) and have a Black Boar on order. I guess there is no cure. I agree, I need a new cue too-

catscradle
06-09-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> So, here's the latest CCB list:

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>

Fred, what is your real "have list". If it includes a cuetech I'm surprised, but I know it isn't limited to that.

Jay
06-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Pete Ohman is one of the nicest guys in the world. I just got off the phone with him and his is finishing my shafts and the wrap and I should have it next week. He is easy to talk to and is willing to work with you. And speaking of Omen Cues. If there is anyone looking for one of his awesome break cues send me a pm!

Fred Agnir
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> So, here's the latest CCB list:

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>

Fred, what is your real "have list". If it includes a cuetech I'm surprised, but I know it isn't limited to that.
<hr /></blockquote>I really do have a Cuetec. I bought it after playing with somebody else's, so I thought it might make a decent bar/league cue. It failed the summer humidity test. I don't know why I hang on to it. Maybe it's time to unload it.

I also have a FURY cue courtesy of Sterling last year when they were promoting their introduction.

I have my long-time Meucci and its brother Maximimun.

I have a Lishan Cobra in need of a new wrap.

And a few custom cues.

Fred

PBat51
06-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Dont forget Mike Webb...

Nice cues nice guy.

http://www.webbcues.com/

catscradle
06-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Everybody keeps saying "Omen" so I felt compelled to look at his site. Very nice looking cues, but I noticed none I saw had any butt sleeve inlays or decorations. His work is too good for him to lack the skill to do inlays, so is this an artistic statement by him, or did I just miss them?

ashmouth
06-09-2004, 12:22 PM
i just took a look at omen's website and there is a link on the top left called "inlay cues"..i believe that's what you were looking for...

catscradle
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ashmouth:</font><hr> i just took a look at omen's website and there is a link on the top left called "inlay cues"..i believe that's what you were looking for... <hr /></blockquote>

Ahhh, I see (said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw). /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thank you.

buddha162
06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Fred,

Now I know I'm beating this horse to death, but if you like classic-looking cues (boti/bushka), no one makes them better than Skip. His pointwork is out of this world. Of the current makers I only see Mottey (and of course Barry) who does them as good. I still like Skip's hardwood veneers better though: no running colors near the tips.

His basic cue (four-points, 2-3-4-5 veneers, AB joint rings, 2 shafts) run under $900. That's a steal and a half if you ask me.

-Roger (waiting for Skip to finish my cue...)

catscradle
06-10-2004, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

Now I know I'm beating this horse to death, but if you like classic-looking cues (boti/bushka), no one makes them better than Skip. ... <hr /></blockquote>

I love Skip's (Weston I presume) cues and have every intention of owning one some day, but what's Joel Hercek, chopped liver? In terms of being in the classic style, his cues are as spot on as anybody's without exception. Though I've never hit with one, their reputation indicates they are a great hitting cue. http://www.hercek.com/

Fred Agnir
06-10-2004, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

Now I know I'm beating this horse to death, but if you like classic-looking cues (boti/bushka), no one makes them better than Skip. ... <hr /></blockquote>

I love Skip's (Weston I presume) cues and have every intention of owning one some day, but what's Joel Hercek, chopped liver? In terms of being in the classic style, his cues are as spot on as anybody's without exception. Though I've never hit with one, their reputation indicates they are a great hitting cue. http://www.hercek.com/ <hr /></blockquote> And let's not forget Pete Tascarella.

Fred

Chris Cass
06-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi Fred,

What are you looking to spend? The cues mentioned so far are really up there. Have you ever thought about a Blackheart? I've seen some really good stuff from him. You'll have to ask Carol if you can take a hit with hers. JAT Oh, I know I don't have to tell you that Art Cantando' cues will be stealing I'm sure.

Regards,

C.C.~~two hands-two cues.

buddha162
06-10-2004, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

I love Skip's (Weston I presume) cues and have every intention of owning one some day, but what's Joel Hercek, chopped liver? In terms of being in the classic style, his cues are as spot on as anybody's without exception. Though I've never hit with one, their reputation indicates they are a great hitting cue. http://www.hercek.com/ <hr /></blockquote> And let's not forget Pete Tascarella.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Okay, okay. Of course, I forgot about Tascarella and Herceck.

-Roger