PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cue with Predator Shaft?

Spencer
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I was just wondering how many people on this board play with custom cues and also use predator shafts? I have owned Mike Bender cues and considered using a predator shaft and now I am considering a predator shaft for a SouthWest that I just purchased. I love the feel or feedback that I get from the SouthWest with the original shafts, but I cannot seem to dial in the accuracy to the same level I have when I use my Schon with a Predator shaft. I also understand that the more time I spend with the SouthWest shafts the more I will become trained to adjust to the amount of deflection they have.

With that being said, please avoid flaming me just for the thought of attaching a predator to a SouthWest. I am simply looking for feedback from other players that use or have used predator shafts with custom cues.

Thanks,
Spencer

UWPoolGod
06-08-2004, 04:48 PM
A good player in Portland,OR has a prototype Tiger X-shaft customed to his birdseye maple Southwest cue. He loves it. Go with what you think...but try the Predator out first.

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I also have a custom cue(Richard Black) and my predator shaft fit perfectly. That is what I use all the time.

DG - still recovering from the Belmont

mike_in_iowa
06-08-2004, 08:12 PM
its a great idea. If you really believe in the 314, why second guess yourself with a stock shaft. Now let the 314 flaming begin.

mike in iowa

buddha162
06-09-2004, 01:41 AM
I shoot with a Dayton/Predator combo, and I love it. Best hitting cue I've ever shot with.

However, if I own a SouthWest, I would use their shafts only because that'll probably be the last cue I ever play with. It'll take some grueling hours at the table to adjust for english, but I think the result will be worth it.

If the stock SW shafts are in good shape, I suggest you give yourself at least a couple dozen hours to get used to them. By then if you still want to change by all means order the Preds to fit.

-Roger

woody
06-09-2004, 05:39 AM
I started playing pool with a Meucci, then an Espuritu (12.5 mm tip), Jacoby (shaft turned to 12.5 mm tip), now I shoot with a Frank Coster (11.8 mm tip). I love playing with the thinner shaft, it has very little deflection. My questions are, How many shots does deflection really need to be considered and if we need to put that much english on the CB maybe consider another shot? What is the opinion on turning a Predator shaft down and the results. I have also tried Bob Meucci's deflection experiment with my Coster and it made Bob's jaw hit the floor. I also have another Coster that I don't shoot with, I believe it has about an 11 mm tip, did these earlier cuemakers have it right by making thinner shafts for less deflection? I also have a snooker cue with a 9.5 mm tip, which is common for snooker. I think I see a pattern.

fullsplice
06-09-2004, 06:33 AM
You can't turn down a Predator shaft. The shafts have a hollow spot from the ferrule up to 5" or 6" or so. Turning one down makes the walls thinner around this spot which can cause a disaster. Obviously voids the warranty as well.

Fred Agnir
06-09-2004, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Spencer:</font><hr> I was just wondering how many people on this board play with custom cues and also use predator shafts? I have owned Mike Bender cues and considered using a predator shaft and now I am considering a predator shaft for a SouthWest that I just purchased. I love the feel or feedback that I get from the SouthWest with the original shafts, but I cannot seem to dial in the accuracy to the same level I have when I use my Schon with a Predator shaft. I also understand that the more time I spend with the SouthWest shafts the more I will become trained to adjust to the amount of deflection they have.

With that being said, please avoid flaming me just for the thought of attaching a predator to a SouthWest. I am simply looking for feedback from other players that use or have used predator shafts with custom cues.
<hr /></blockquote>If you like playing with a Predator shaft, then what you're proposing has become more common of late.

Fred &lt;~~~ done it

daviddjmp
06-09-2004, 08:55 AM
I use a Capone custom with his standard shaft and love it. At one time I had a Pechauer with a Predator shaft and also had a Sharpshooter shaft made for my Schon STL-7. I sold the Pechauer and use the standard shaft with the Schon. Since I mostly play straight pool, the shots I play rarely require a hard stroke with lots of english, so the laminated shafts don't do much for me. Although I am sure they have less deflection (not none), it rarely comes into play for me. Mike Capone's maple shafts play beautifully as is. I also have a Black Boar cue on order and hear that Tony's shafts are some of the best out there-

Paul_Mon
06-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Spencer,
In 2001 I sent Blackheart a new 314 shaft and had him make me a custom cue. He matched it up perfectly and I've used nothing else since. The good part about exclusively using 314 shafts is that they all perform the same. The down side is that they lack feel and feedback. If your interested I'll send you my lengthy review of the Blackheart.

Paul Mon~~~~~314 user since 1995

cheesemouse
06-10-2004, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The down side is that they lack feel and feedback. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Paul,

Just for the heck of it put a soft Elk Master on your 314 and see if you get some feel and feedback...I did it by accident two years ago and now I'm stuck with a 314 that gives me great feedback...JAT

Jay
06-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I use a Pechauer with a Predator shaft right now but Im going to use stock shafts with my new Omen that will be coming in. I really like the 314 but I tend to get a lot more action out of it then I like. I know that part of it is me but those shafts can really get the ball moving with little effort. Im thinking about switching to a lighter cue so I can have a little bit more control. I use a 20oz cue now and I think that is part of the reason why I juice the cb too much... I dont know?

Bob C
06-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I play with a Bender butt and a Predator shaft. It is a great combination. Mike will fit a new partially completed Predator shaft with a joint collar to match his for a very reasonable fee. Bob C

Paul_Mon
06-11-2004, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
Hey Paul,

Just for the heck of it put a soft Elk Master on your 314 and see if you get some feel and feedback...I did it by accident two years ago and now I'm stuck with a 314 that gives me great feedback...JAT <hr /></blockquote>

You want me to replace my $8.00 layered Talisman with a 45 cent Elkmaster? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ok, but if I don't like it you owe me.

Paul Mon

cheesemouse
06-11-2004, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
Hey Paul,

Just for the heck of it put a soft Elk Master on your 314 and see if you get some feel and feedback...I did it by accident two years ago and now I'm stuck with a 314 that gives me great feedback...JAT <hr /></blockquote>

You want me to replace my $8.00 layered Talisman with a 45 cent Elkmaster? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ok, but if I don't like it you owe me.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>

You got a deal, Paul..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spencer
06-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Paul,

Let me know how the Elk Master experiment goes. I also shoot with a Talisman Pro (Hard) tip. The thought of switching to a soft Elk Master after using hard talismans for 2 years is enought to make me cringe, but if it really changes the feedback of the Predator I'll give it a try also.

Thanks,
Spencer