PDA

View Full Version : What is everyones favorite game, and why

dr_billiards
06-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Hello, My favorite game is switchshot nine-ball. I love trying out the shape that my partner gives me, it is really enjoyable when that person is a low skill level.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harold Acosta
06-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Last-pocket 8 ball with BCA/World Standarized Rules. The luck factor does not weigh-in 'cause you have to call each shot except the 8 Ball which goes into the last group pocketed ball. Low-level players don't like it except those who really want the challenge.

ras314
06-08-2004, 07:31 PM
switchshot nine-ball.....scotch doubles?

dr_billiards
06-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, you shoot and play shape for your partner. It goes in rotation until you miss, then the other team gets to shoot. I have also heard of it called Cincinnati nine ball.

ras314
06-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Ok, a pretty new game to me. I think it is fun if nothing serious is on the line.

Still like plain old 9 ball the best, but would like to try one pocket again after a 30 yr or so lay off.

Jimmy B
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Last pocket 9-ball or 1 pocket, just because it requires thought and a bit more knowledge then just banging balls. It's like the Chess of pool, involving touch speed control and jam up safties. The bad news is I'm not great at banks or long shots, O yeah and my safes and speed aren't great, did I mention I can't make a spot shot??? I guess loving a game has little to do with how well you play it.

JB

Nostroke
06-08-2004, 09:03 PM
At a pool room i go to, these Italian guys come in with their own balls -4 i think-two of them are at least twice the size of regular balls.

They stuff most if not all of the pockets so a ball wont go in there and they put 4 little do-dads very carefully in the middle of the table-they look like Chess Pawns. Then they yell at each other in Italian for a couple of hours. Sometimes they knock over the pawns and sometimes they dont. I think it's a cross between Bocci, lawn bowling and Billiards but it sure looks like fun (Not!)

crawdaddio
06-08-2004, 09:52 PM
A friend and I like to play APA 8 ball until you get to the 8. Kick or bank two or more rails call shot on the 8. It gets interesting and is good practice. Other than that I like ALL pool/billiard games, but have recently become seriously addicted to one pocket. Nothin' else quite like it. Now if I could just get good at it......................

Tom_In_Cincy
06-08-2004, 10:22 PM
My favorite game is anyone my opponent wants to play. I'll play all games of pool. Even including snooker and 3-c.

Cane
06-09-2004, 01:57 AM
I have three favorite games... One pocket, Bank Pool and 14.1. I play more 9 ball and 8 ball than I do those, but that's because it's hard in this part of the world to find anyone that wants to play anything else. My least favorite is 9-Ball. I find the other games more challenging and more apt to build your pocketing, banking and kicking skills.

Bob

Fred Agnir
06-09-2004, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> At a pool room i go to, these Italian guys come in with their own balls -4 i think-two of them are at least twice the size of regular balls.

They stuff most if not all of the pockets so a ball wont go in there and they put 4 little do-dads very carefully in the middle of the table-they look like Chess Pawns. Then they yell at each other in Italian for a couple of hours. Sometimes they knock over the pawns and sometimes they dont. I think it's a cross between Bocci, lawn bowling and Billiards but it sure looks like fun (Not!) <hr /></blockquote>Sounds like Italian Carombola. An Italian movie called The Hustler (of all things) featured this game.

http://www.artusi.it/en/tipologiedigioco.htm

Fred

woody_968
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I play mostly nine ball as that is the game local players play. Have started playing more one pocket and really am enjoying it more than nine ball. I have been learning 14n1 and would say that would be my favorite game, if I could just get some of these #@$% people around here to play the game!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
I've only heard of it as scotch doubles. There are a lot of scotch tournaments out here. If you like playing with low rated players there are many to choose from. lol Of course there are a number of good ones too. An advantage in scotch IMO is have the other player play near your own level. For instance it could be handicapped with a max team rating of 18 and the lowest team rating of 13 or how ever your system works. A team with near rated partners in the 15 to 16 range usually is around near the end.

Rod

ashmouth
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
mostly 9-ball although i also enjoy a good game of straight pool. sometimes i'll play an occasional game of one-pocket with the OG's in the PH.

esentially, i'll play anything but bar rules 8-ball because i can't stand when a player intentionally scratches, leaving me with ball in hand behind the headstring and a three rail kick on my ball...

snipershot
06-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Although not the most popular game 3ball has to be my favorite for a few reasons,

1) You can have as many players as you want

2) It only costs a few $$ to play and you can win big $$

3) It's great for high pressure shots, your always shooting in front of a crowd and the game often comes down to a single shot riding on a one player for considerable cash.

dr_billiards
06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I would also agree with you on this one. I played 3 ball last week for a .25 a turn per man and won 100 dollars after all said and done for the night.

dr_billiards
06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Woody, Look up Dave Morrison, he'll be glad to play you some one-pocket. He can never get me to play it.Hehe

NH_Steve
06-10-2004, 04:23 AM
Surprise, surprise, One Pocket is my favorite game. Over the years (since the mid sixties /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I've tried and enjoyed 8-ball, 9-ball, straight pool, 'Roundie' (a variation of golf) as well as 3-cushion. You can make a case for all those games, but the thing for me about One Pocket is that it really does use the skills of all those games -- and then it offers even more! Especially if you like the strategy side of any game -- or the head-to-head combat with another player -- or if you like to use all those skills in one game. It is also the most satisfying game, IMHO, in terms of getting a chance to really work your creativity. Yet while it's great exercise for your creativity -- at the same time it demands discipline!!!

Come on board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ....

Predator314
06-10-2004, 06:40 AM
9 ball... more specifically a 4 man ring game playing $2 on the 5, $2 on the 9, $5 for a double. Get a few buddies and make (or lose) some cash.

I am also growing fond of One Pocket. I suck at it, but I've noticed an improvement in my 8 ball play since I've been playing some one pocket. I've become a more patient player.

sidepocketsam
06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
3 ball can be fun, but I refuse to play it anymore because it can throw my stroke out of whack for months. Too many times I find myself trying to make two balls at once and hammering at it. I then pick up bad habits.

I love 8 ball just because it is a fun game. Nine ball is a better game over the long haul and I believe sharpens your skills better, but just to have fun I think 8 ball is it.

DMoney1644
06-10-2004, 02:54 PM
i like 9-ball because it's easy to teach to someone who's never played anything other than 8-ball. if you're playing 8-ball with a complete n00b, you scratch and tell them to put the cue ball in the kitchen, they'll stick the ball in their pocket and go make a sandwich.

on a more serious note, i found that my position play picked up a bit shortly after my friend introduced me to 9-ball. i also tried 1-pocket for the first time pretty recently and it was a lot of fun but really emphasized how bad i am at bank shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pelican
06-10-2004, 04:28 PM
One hole - more thinking, less luck

Rod
06-10-2004, 05:26 PM
OH NO, you can't call it one hole. The big bad man at upscale billiards will get upset! LOL

Rod

cueball1950
06-10-2004, 08:46 PM
i would have to say 3 cushion billiards,,, and if you have to ask why...apparently you have never played....lol.....mike

Rich R.
06-11-2004, 07:03 AM
My "favorite game" is 14.1, straight pool.
I think it is as much art as skill. I love it.
I only wish I could play it better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dagwood
06-12-2004, 02:41 PM
I enjoy most of the games out there, though I have to say that I try to avoid playing 8-ball as much as possible. I've started playing 1P over the past few years and I would have to say that because I see the most improvement in myself in this game that I enjoy it the most right now. 9-ball gets monotonous after a while if that's all I'm playing, as does any other game if it's all you play. It's good to switch it up every now and again to give yourself some variety. When I'm playing though, start out with 14.1 for a while and switch to 9-ball. it's an easy transition, for the most part.

Dags

Zynix
06-13-2004, 06:29 PM
8-Ball is my game, but since I moved to Arkansas everyone plays 9... Guess i'll have to adapt.