PDA

View Full Version : Weird Pool Games - Anyone Ever Play or See M-BAB?

SpiderMan
06-09-2004, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> At a pool room i go to, these Italian guys come in with their own balls -4 i think-two of them are at least twice the size of regular balls.

They stuff most if not all of the pockets so a ball wont go in there and they put 4 little do-dads very carefully in the middle of the table-they look like Chess Pawns. Then they yell at each other in Italian for a couple of hours. Sometimes they knock over the pawns and sometimes they dont. I think it's a cross between Bocci, lawn bowling and Billiards but it sure looks like fun (Not!) <hr /></blockquote>

At my regular room, the Mexicans play an unusual game that can involve two to five or six players. I'd been mentally referring to it as "Mexican Bang-a-Ball", but last fall I actually played it with one of the regulars and he called it "Black Pool". He spoke almost no English, so I still don't know that much about the game.

All the object balls are placed against the rail at specific points around the table, and the game is started with cueball in the kitchen. I think you shoot the balls in rotation.

Each ball counts a certain number of points, and the points bear little or no relation to the ball number. I'm not sure if combos are allowed, or if there are rules regarding disturbance of still-spotted balls, etc.

I do know that when the game is played by groups of regulars, there is much hooting and hollering, and money tossed onto the table at intervals throughout the game. Each shot seems to be accompanied by taunting and sharking. Often all the non-shooters will be leaning on the rails around the table, chattering like a baseball team on defense.

You can always tell when a table has been used for M-BAB, as it and the nearby floor will be coated white with hand talc. I've never seen this game outside of Texas.

SpiderMan

SecaucusFats
06-09-2004, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> At a pool room i go to, these Italian guys come in with their own balls -4 i think-two of them are at least twice the size of regular balls.

They stuff most if not all of the pockets so a ball wont go in there and they put 4 little do-dads very carefully in the middle of the table-they look like Chess Pawns. Then they yell at each other in Italian for a couple of hours. Sometimes they knock over the pawns and sometimes they dont. I think it's a cross between Bocci, lawn bowling and Billiards but it sure looks like fun (Not!) <hr /></blockquote>

At my regular room, the Mexicans play an unusual game that can involve two to five or six players. I'd been mentally referring to it as "Mexican Bang-a-Ball", but last fall I actually played it with one of the regulars and he called it "Black Pool". He spoke almost no English, so I still don't know that much about the game.

All the object balls are placed against the rail at specific points around the table, and the game is started with cueball in the kitchen. I think you shoot the balls in rotation.

Each ball counts a certain number of points, and the points bear little or no relation to the ball number. I'm not sure if combos are allowed, or if there are rules regarding disturbance of still-spotted balls, etc.

I do know that when the game is played by groups of regulars, there is much hooting and hollering, and money tossed onto the table at intervals throughout the game. Each shot seems to be accompanied by taunting and sharking. Often all the non-shooters will be leaning on the rails around the table, chattering like a baseball team on defense.

You can always tell when a table has been used for M-BAB, as it and the nearby floor will be coated white with hand talc. I've never seen this game outside of Texas.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

The game played by the Italians seems to be a variation of Italian Skittle Pool a.k.a Italian Pin Pool. Are you sure they used only four skittles? The game is usually played with five. It is played to 31 points, but if you knock over the center "pin" without knocking over the other 4 you win automatically.

The game played by the Mexican players is called "Chicago" it is a very popular game in Mexico, Venezuela, Cuba, and a few other latin countries.

The balls are not racked but placed frozen to the diamonds in this manner:
START(
%AC8I2%BC8O5%CC7V0%DH5Z9%EN9Z8%FU0Z9%Ga4[0%Hg5Z9%Im9Z9%Jn0C8
%Kg5D0%La5C9%MU3D0%NO1D0%OH9D0%Pg9V9
)END

The shooter must hit the lowest ball first and receives points for the numerical value of all balls pocketed on the shot. It is also known as "Boston Pool" and "Mexican Rotation". I've played it and IMO it's a fun game. Usually the lowest scoring guy buys the drinks. The term rotation as used refers more to the arrangement of the balls along the rails rather than the necessity of striking the lowest numbered ball first.

The general rules of billiards still apply. Of course the rules vary based on alcohol consumption and attitude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SF

Rod
06-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Yep, same thing happened at my room, it sounds so familiar. LOL I don't know what the game was called now but they sure had a lot of fun. A good place to recycle chalk and powder if it was possible. I had one group of guys though, that kept pretty good house. The table was actually left green!

Rod

PQQLK9
06-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Exactly the same here in Charlotte.

Troy
06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
It's also played here (San Jose, CA). Here they omit the 1 &amp; 2 balls. Our janitor (a great Mexican guy) says it's from the Basque region of Spain, but he isn't sure how to play. I do know a table brush is always required after they leave 'cuz it looks like a blizzard has blown through.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>At my regular room, the Mexicans play an unusual game that can involve two to five or six players. I'd been mentally referring to it as "Mexican Bang-a-Ball", but last fall I actually played it with one of the regulars and he called it "Black Pool". He spoke almost no English, so I still don't know that much about the game.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Novacat91
07-16-2004, 08:02 AM
I've just started playing a game called Bocetta with a couple of Italians that sounds like what you are describing. There are a bunch of different variations some using cues and others using your hands to put the ball into play. I had the hardest time finding the equipment to play, but finally found a company in Italy that would send to the US. (See attached link)

The game we play is played with each person having four standard size balls and one smaller ball called the bochina. Points are scored for knocking over the skittles with either your opponents ball or the bochina or having your ball closest to the bochina. If anyone wants any additional information, I'll try and post a complete set of rules.

It has been a great at helping me see angles on the pool table, and its a nice change of pace when your in the mood for something different.

Web Page For Bocetta Balls (http://shop.biliardonline.it/search.asp?CID=34&amp;CDES=BALLS%20FOR%20BOWLS&amp;Lang=EN G)

rah
07-16-2004, 09:54 AM
I forget what made me invent this game, but it is an excellent game for drunks who can't shoot and who want to take it out on the good pool players. You defend your end of the table and one side pocket with one ball in hand, which is used to whack the cueball around until someone scores. You get to roam as much as you want, so if the other person gets off balance you can race to his side and dare him to place his knuckles in front of the pocket as you smash it in like a slam dunk.

This games is excellent for learning banks and caroms LOL. It will also keep you in shape for after 30 minutes of this you will be breathless.

Spiderman, with your reach you might be very good at this game. This sounds like a game Kato would like LOL. Maybe you could feature it at the CCB tournament if Barry would approve of one of his tables taking some monstorous abuse /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif