PDA

View Full Version : Am I nut's or what?

Popcorn
06-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I know this is going to sound like a crazy story. About six months ago I noticed a spider building a web above my work bench under a florescent light. There are a lot of spiders around the building and I leave them alone unless they get in the way with their webs. I started watching this spider and it was very interesting. She would clean the web and sometimes you would see her doing a repair. She would actually add extra strands and then pull the slack out then cut away the old ones. When she built egg sacks I would remove them because they have a few hundred spiders in them and I don't want that many spiders all over the place. the room is sealed up pretty good and climate controlled, not that many moths or bugs can get into the room so I would go to a bedroom window that has a light by the window and catch a few moths for her and put them in the web, She would get really excited and wrap them up to eat later. Sunday I went in and she was not in the web. She always would be in the center. I looked all around but no spider. I looked all around the floor under the web but I didn't find her thinking maybe she died. They can live as long a couple of years from what I have read. Well, I guess she is gone, but I can't believe how much I can miss a silly spider. I am going to vacuum down the web later on today. Pretty crazy isn't it. I have an 8 foot Boa that likes to lay on the couch with me when I watch TV, they like your body heat. I can't believe how much I care about that snake. Am I nuts or what?

Tom_In_Cincy
06-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Not 'nuts' in my opinion, 'strange' maybe a better description. But, 'normal' sounds so boring.

I don't care for spiders all that much, but at the same time, I remember reading a story about a spider named "Charlotte"<----tear jerker

dg-in-centralpa
06-09-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not a fan of spiders either, but the designs they create for their webs is amazing. I can understand missing the spider, my wife got emotional over losing a beta(siamese fighting fish). This one was bright red that likes to puff up and show his manliness.

DG - had a few since but not like that one

UWPoolGod
06-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Not nuts. However I am not fond of them. Got bitten on the wrist when I was a freshman in high school for somewhere and got a nasty reddish halo around it. I let it go until it was hurting kind of bad. Then I just squeezed on each side like a pimple real hard with alot of skin and a greenish puss (puss not puss /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) sack came out. It healed in a few days and I was happy.

Todd <--- hate it when they run across your face when your sleeping....happened last night.

P.S. Supposedly you eat more than 8 spiders a year when they crawl into your mouth when your asleep. I am going to wear the Jason mask from now on.

Barbara
06-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Popcorn,

I don't think you're crazy. Spiders are fascinating creatures - as long as they stay their distance from me.

On a flip side -

When I shooed my hubby's workshop out of the basement and he took over the garage (which was too small for a car newer than the '20s), he had to close up a lot of holes that the squirrels had made into it. And just in time, too. I think they were waiting for a hot tub delivery when he cleaned them out! Small villages had been constructed.

So anyway, he's working outside on the cedar shake siding and replacing some pathetic shakes when he feels he's getting "rained on". He looks up and sees some squirrels up in the tree peeing on him! They were so p$ssed at him!!

Needless to say, any chance he gets to use the wrist rocket...

Barbara~~~needs to find him some good ammo...

bluewolf
06-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Popcorn,

Although I am not a big spider fan, as long as it was not a poisonous one, if I had been watching it, i would probably miss it too. Also am not a big snake person but admire their beauty and have nothing against them. I see nothing particularly odd about what you wrote, but then perhaps that is because I see purpose in all critters.

Laura

SPetty
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ...any chance he gets to use the wrist rocket...<hr /></blockquote>Is that a slingshot?

The best slingshot ammunition I've found is frozen grapes. Really. The small round ones. After you use them, they just decompose or get eaten by the birds! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif No spoiling the environment with lead or any other thing harmful.

SPetty
06-09-2004, 05:48 PM
When we first moved out to the country, we lived in an old construction trailer. A wolf spider set up a web in the corner of a window. A wolf spider makes one of those tunnel webs and hides down at the bottom of it. We used to collect bugs and toss them on the web and see the spider do it's thing. It really is interesting to watch.

We had other spiders making the large web-like webs on the porch. I remember throwing a daddy long-legs onto the web. The spider instantly responded and calf-roped the daddy long-legs! One of the most interesting things I've seen. After it disabled it by calf-roping it, it proceeded to repair the web and such, and then came back to it.

Based on your description, your spider probably just ran out of food. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Does anyone remember the old Popular Mechanics picture of spider webs being built while the spider was under the influence? IIRC, they showed webs of spiders under the influence of nothing, marijuana, caffiene and maybe one other substance. Really wacked!

Barbara
06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Poifect!!!

Pete's eyes just lit up!! It's like using ice bullets - there's no evidence left behind!!!

Woohooo!! Score another one up to SPetty!!

Barbara

highsea
06-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Spiders really creep me out. Growing up in Alaska, we never had them. Too cold. All we had were daddy long legs. They don't bother me.

When I see a spider, I freeze up. I lived in a house in Western Washington that had a lot of them. I used to use a pitching wedge on them, so I wouldn't have to get too close. Put a few divots in my walls with that club. It was a Wilson Staff Model.

I had one that lived under my washing machine, and since I usually was barefooted when I did my laundry, this guy just had to go. Every time I opened the door and made a move toward him, he boogied back under the washer and out of range. After a couple of weeks, I had had enough. I took my BB gun into the living room and sighted it in for 6 feet on a cardboard box. Then I left it on the counter next to the utility room door.

Whenever I went into the utility room, I would just peek through the door ever so sneaky to see if he was hanging out in his usual spot. One day he was there, and I nailed him with one shot. It was so nice to be able to do laundry barefooted again.

-CM

Popcorn
06-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I got bit by I think it is called a "Recluse" spider, I think it is also called a brown widow, some years ago. It was near my elbow and it swelled up the size of a soft ball. For years it would break out a few times a year. One of my friends got bit by a Water moccasin and if he even get a red ant bite now he gets sick. It stays with you. Somehow some stuff stay in you. I got poisoned by something called Paraquat (sp?)over 30 years ago and I still have reactions from it, bad stuff. I was not really a fan of snakes till I got this one. I just found it in the yard one day and you could tell it was someone's pet so I put it in a cooler. We put up some signs in the neighbor hood but only got one call and it wasn't his snake. That is like six years ago and I still have it. It is sort of a cool pet. Kind of expensive to feed though about $30.00 a month and they live a long time so you are really stuck with it. You can't even give it away,(Not that I would) people don't want them when they get that big. I feel safe with it, but it is no pet for a kid.

Barbara
06-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Popcorn,

The Brown Recluse spider is the most poisonous spider to humans. Its venom will actually kill the surrounding tissue to the bite and is very painfull. I have no idea if there's an antidote to the venom.

Barbara

Popcorn
06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I didn't tell the whole story. It fell on my arm and when I bent my arm it bit me right in the crease. I killed it and in no time I was getting flue like symptoms and went to the emergency room. When My wife showed the spider to them they got kind if excited and had an IV in me right away. I stayed over night. It got all messed up but healed. For years it would break out right in the same spot every once and a while. I got bit just this week by a Cuban Gecko, (I don't know their real name but that is what people around here call them). I have them in my mango trees. Some are two foot long or more. All I was trying to do was put it where the cat could not get at it. I usually grab them close to the back of the head and there is no problem, but I was not paying attention and got my other hand too close when I was holding it and he got me. It took off it tip of my finger, they have razor like teeth and a huge mouth. Actually the cat is afraid of the bigger ones, they will stand their ground and the cat backs down. He has been bitten enough times.

Rod
06-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Well if you say so. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Actually there is a 7 foot Boa around here somewhere. LOL The lil lady took it as a favor from a young couple until they got a home. That was over two years ago and never a call. I guess he/she has a permanent home. It needs to be kept in a spare room when the cat is around. The cage is broken but I usually find him pretty quick. One time outside he found a nice little space under the concrete. Not wanting to come out I put an electric blanket(it was winter time) and he was in there the next morning.

Spiders are ok, they don't bother me unless poisionous. I use play mom and or pop to some humming birds. There still around in the morning and evenings to say hi. They get about two to three feet from my face and hover. Cute lil guys.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Yep!!!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

stickman
06-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Spiders and snakes? Yep, you're nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't like snakes of any kind. I've never been hurt by a snake, but I could hurt myself when I see a one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I used to not mind spiders until one of them left a huge hole in my leg.

Jim

eg8r
06-10-2004, 05:39 AM
I thought the spider thing was a bit weird, but the boa part put you over the edge. You are sick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
06-10-2004, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ...It is sort of a cool pet. Kind of expensive to feed though about $30.00 a month...<hr /></blockquote>

My next door neighbor had one and he always fed it mice. Then one day he fed it a baby chick and it went wild. It loved baby chicks.

He kept the chicks in a little cage in his yard. You would hear them scratching around. Then a few days later there was a little less scratching, then less, then none after a couple weeks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

catscradle
06-10-2004, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ... Am I nuts or what? <hr /></blockquote>

Quite possibly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PQQLK9
06-10-2004, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Actually there is a 7 foot Boa around here somewhere. <hr /></blockquote>
Guess who won't be coming to dinner /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
06-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Mine eats rats, I get them from the pet store. She eats two twice a month. They cost me $6.95 a piece.

SPetty
06-10-2004, 11:00 AM
We have Texas Rat Snakes that eat eggs and baby chicks. I came upon one once that had two baby feet sticking out of its mouth. When I got back less than a minute later, it had spit it out in order to try to get away.

Rod
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
This one eats small rats=3, two times a month. It has a small head and won't eat big ones. He got nasty the other day, past feeding time. Never seen it happen before but it struck out if you got near. Good thing it happened while in the cage. It has netting so getting stuck for a moment, the noise and hissing was loud. Of course after eating it became docile.

wolfdancer
06-10-2004, 01:49 PM
" I don't like spiders and snakes, and that ain't what it takes to love me, like I want to be......" but them "Philly nuts" kinda warm my heart

eg8r
06-10-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This one eats small rats=3, two times a month. It has a small head and won't eat big ones. He got nasty the other day, past feeding time. Never seen it happen before but it struck out if you got near. Good thing it happened while in the cage. It has netting so getting stuck for a moment, the noise and hissing was loud. Of course after eating it became docile. <hr /></blockquote> Yup, he would have been dead. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Popcorn
06-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Do you handle it? If you handle them they become used to it and are more tolerant. When I feed mine, once she knows the rat is around you have to be careful. Anything producing heat is a target once they smell the food.

Rod
06-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Yep, I handle it, so do lots of other people if we have a pool party (swimming) or something. The kids have fun. It was just unusual, never seen him so upset. Actually I think it's a girl, I've seen that attitude before! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vagabond
06-12-2004, 06:49 AM
What do u think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#### leonard
06-12-2004, 05:31 PM
I had a tenant whose sister was a nun in the Fuji islands. She said the first thing she was taught when she arrived was that the spiders were your best friend. The take care of all the bad insects.####

Popcorn
06-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Certain times of the year I have spiders in my yard called "Golden Orb Weavers" They get almost as big as your hand and build webs the size of bed. It is like a privilege to have these exotic spiders around. Their webs can catch thousands of termites and other insects over a time. I have read they can capture even small birds in the webs. I will take some pictures the next time they are around. I am not sure how or why they to come and go. They seem to disappear all at the same time. I think there may be some kinds of birds that eat them or something. People who are afraid of them won't go in my the back yard. When they really get going, a bunch of them will build a continuous web 30 or 40 feet long. They are really cool to watch. I'm going to go look, I saw a few on the back of the property by one of the grapefruit trees. They were small but if they are still there I'll take some pictures.

Stretch
06-14-2004, 09:44 AM
hi Rod. A 7' Boa eh? Cool! i guess you've got no fear of breakins.....Hey you could put a warning sign up outside "WARNING" Trespassers will be eaten!

Well if Popcorn's nuts so am i. Whether it's spiders, Deer, dogs, Beaver, whatever. Observing the behaviour of wild things can be endlessly facinating. A spider web is beautiful. Espesialy at sunrise on a dewy Morning.

The only Spiders that startle me are those Big Wolf Spiders, or Dock Spiders as we call em up hear. They're BIG and fast but not poisonus. They scare the crap out of me because they live around the water and like to hide under things like life jackets, bait cans, etc. When you lift it up they go like hell. They can swimm under water to get away too. As far as i know they're not into webs. They prefur to "hunt". Daddy longlegs are neat too. They don't hurt anything. They actually provide a good service in the tent or house by cleaning up all the dead blackfly and mosquite carcasses, houseflys and stuff. I coulda used their help last weekend. Went out Camping with the kids and just about got eaten alive. Blackflys in the spring up here are Wicked, and the Mosquitoes are so big you can hear they're legs breaking when you hit them LOL St

Rod
06-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Stretch,

Good to hear from you again. That snake doesn't do much, just kind of slithers around. Yes watching critters is interesting. Having spent time in the wild you get to notice that a lot more. What else is there to stay entertained?

We get what I call horseflies. They can be a pest but just look similar to a big housefly. The skeeters here are small but I've seen big ones in other states. Black widows are fairly common but in my neighborhood it's rare. Roaches, now they get big, get out a saddle and say yee-haw. Take it easy, fighting for your territory is tuff.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Popcorn,

I really don't think your nuts j/k in my reply. There's so many things that are interesting and I used to watch the discovery channel if I saw something interesting. If your crazy then, the whole world is too.

Regards,

C.C.~~people watches at the mall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
06-14-2004, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> A spider web is beautiful. Especially at sunrise on a dewy morning.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Stretch,

I understand what you're saying, but it's not a universal truth that spiderwebs are beautiful. I can tell you they are downright ugly in the dark in the middle of the night when previously stretched between uprights across the porch steps and now spread across my face and chest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Popcorn
06-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Unless it is a path where you haven't gone in a while, when you walk into what feels like a spider web, it is really juts a left over strands of web the spider used to get around. Once they are on solid footing they cut it loose and move on. It stays behind to gather dust and become part of a cobweb. When you feel these things there is usually no spider there. Although I have some spider around my house called "Jeweled spiders" Not sure the correct scientific name, that will build a complete web in one night in something like a doorway, they work very quick and build kind of a sparse web. You have a surprise the next day when you walk through. Ever wonder why the spider doesn't get stuck in it's own webs?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ...I have some spider around my house called "Jeweled spiders" Not sure the correct scientific name, that will build a complete web in one night in something like a doorway, they work very quick and build kind of a sparse web....<hr /></blockquote>

I went to a bachelor party at a farmhouse. It's pretty common around here for the farm boys and girls to have outdoor parties in the summer. The good thing is if you get hungry you can just grab a few chickens and grill them /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway we were in a lighted area outside and this spider, realizing the potential of the situation, spun a complete 3-foot diameter web in about 5 minutes. Amazing to watch.

Stretch
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> A spider web is beautiful. Especially at sunrise on a dewy morning.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Stretch,

I understand what you're saying, but it's not a universal truth that spiderwebs are beautiful. I can tell you they are downright ugly in the dark in the middle of the night when previously stretched between uprights across the porch steps and now spread across my face and chest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Ha ha! Yes i've been "webbed" before. Does it ever stick to your hair. Besides.......what the H E double hockey sticks are you doing out on the porch, in the dark, in the middle of the night???....yer askin for it! lol St