PDA

View Full Version : Global warming

Qtec
06-09-2004, 07:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3792209.stm

Ice cores unlock climate secrets
By Julianna Kettlewell
BBC News Online science staff

Global climate patterns stretching back 740,000 years have been confirmed by a three-kilometre-long ice core drilled from the Antarctic, Nature reports.
Analysis of the ice proves our planet has had eight ice ages during that period, punctuated by rather brief warm spells - one of which we enjoy today.

If past patterns are followed in the future, we can expect our "mild snap" to last another 15,000 years.

The data may also help predict how greenhouse gases will affect climate.

Initial tests on gas trapped in the ice core show that current carbon dioxide (CO2) levels are higher than they have been in 440,000 years.
Another important thing that scientists can 'read' in the ice is the relative concentration of atmospheric gases.

That is because minute bubbles pock mark the core, within which tiny pockets of preserved air lie.

"That is the wonderful thing about ice cores," said Professor McManus. "There is air from three-quarters of a million years ago and it is still locked in these bubbles - it's incredible."

Turning which way?

Epica is still busy analysing the ice core's atmospheric gases, but preliminary results suggest that present CO2 levels are remarkably high.

"We have never seen greenhouse gases anything like what we have seen today," said Dr Wolff.

Q

moblsv
06-09-2004, 10:02 PM
You are really looking for an argument by posting this subject. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scientist DO KNOW FOR A FACT that human activities are changing the composition of the atmosphere and the FACT that the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen dramatically since pre-industrial time is well documented.

It is also a fact that the climate is changing.

The real argument is what, if any, is the correlation between these.

Rod
06-09-2004, 10:06 PM
A well I don't know about a global warming but it is hotter than hell in AZ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif How hot is Hell anyway? I think were about the same temp.

eg8r
06-10-2004, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"We have never seen greenhouse gases anything like what we have seen today," said Dr Wolff. <font color="blue"> DUHHHHHH! (I hate reverting back to that language but it fits perfectly) </font color> <hr /></blockquote> Leave it up to the experts to have the most mindless quotes printed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

TomBrooklyn
06-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Global warming will melt more ice which will cool things off. When things cool down a little, the ice will stop melting. The net result? Things will remain within 2 degrees of todays climate for the forseeable future.

For a copy of my calculations, send two dollars and a stamped self addressed envelope addressed to TomBrooklyn, c/o Hall of Fame Billiards, Brooklyn, NY 11209.

Thank you.