PDA

View Full Version : Clear Channel Fined $2M

highsea
06-09-2004, 11:10 PM
WASHINGTON The Federal Communications Commission has reached a nearly $2 million settlement with Clear Channel Communications to resolve a number of indecency complaints that include shock jock Howard Stern, according to published reports.

The agreement, which could be announced as early as Wednesday, would settle fines proposed by the agency for sexually explicit remarks Stern made in an April 2003 broadcast.

The article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,122202,00.html)

If I was Clear Channel, I would be suing Howard Stern's A$$ off.

-CM

eg8r
06-10-2004, 05:55 AM
I read that $1.7m was for Howard Stern. Amazing. This is also not the first time they have been sued because of Howard Stern. In 1995 Infinity Broadcasting was fined $1.7m for indecency violations because of Stern. This is a recurring type thing with this fool, and suddenly it is now Bush's fault. Howard is an idiot (but the listeners are still out there). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Predator314
06-10-2004, 02:41 PM
I just don't like Stern. I've tried listening to his radio show a few times and he just needs an ass whoopin'.

mred477
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
More lovely news from the Federal Censorship Commission. I don't like Stern either, but if you don't like it, turn it off! I'll take personal responsibility any day over government regulation.

Will

Rich R.
06-11-2004, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr> More lovely news from the Federal Censorship Commission. I don't like Stern either, but if you don't like it, turn it off! I'll take personal responsibility any day over government regulation.

Will <hr /></blockquote>
Tap, Tap, Tap.

When will the FCC learn that the strongest form of censorship is at every listeners finger tips. It is the dial on their radio or TV.
Why should Stern and the network be fined, because people are too stupid to turn the dial.

I have heard Stern's show and I made a decision not to listen to it. I haven't heard anything offensive from him since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

landshark77
06-13-2004, 12:20 PM
I seriously despise Clearchannel and their attempts to mass market entertainment to profit themselves, so I am glad they are being fined. However, this fine is going to be passed down to the consumer (us) via increase in already outrageous event tickets and what not. I do not feel as though Howard Stern should be sued as he was only doing his job. He brings in ratings by doing his bit...more $$ to clearchannel. I agree with everyone that the listener just has to change the dial if they are offened. Society has become so concerned with what other people say and do. I am a firm fighter for freedom of speech. I do not feel that it is the government's resposnability to censor the public. So in that regard the FCC needs to disolve (as does capitalistic entertainment.) Just my $0.03.

highsea
06-13-2004, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> I do not feel as though Howard Stern should be sued as he was only doing his job.<hr /></blockquote>
As part of his job, he has to know what is and is not permissable to broadcast. If he knowingly violates those rules, causing monetary damage to his employer, then he has harmed his employer, and his employer has a right to redress.

-CM

landshark77
06-13-2004, 09:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> I do not feel as though Howard Stern should be sued as he was only doing his job.<hr /></blockquote>
As part of his job, he has to know what is and is not permissable to broadcast. If he knowingly violates those rules, causing monetary damage to his employer, then he has harmed his employer, and his employer has a right to redress.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, for regular joes...but there is a few things we don't know. Who exactly is his employer? Is he an employee or a contractee? what does any contract he may have say? If I were a rich company that controlled entertainment like Clear Channel I would tell Howard to do what ever it takes to get ratings, because ratings equal money in my pocket. 2 Million for Clear Channel is chump change (http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2004/02/23/daily18.html) ....
...again, just my $0.03.

Qtec
06-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Wake up Highsea.

http://www.smartmoney.com/decision2004/index.cfm?story=20040518

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/27/media.stern.reut/

Check it out.

Q

highsea
06-14-2004, 12:32 PM
What's your point? GWB got Stern fired because they didn't like his politics? Yeah, right.

Stern is not a dummy. He knew what he was doing by pushing on the FCC. Clear Channel had the right to protect their license.

-CM

eg8r
06-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't think highsea was sleeping when he made the post. What information are you hoping to pass on from you links? Why don't you summarize what you "think" they are saying and how is that in contrast to what highsea posted? It might do a little good if you spoke for yourself instead of some one liner and a couple of links.

In the first link there is a quote from Clear Channel saying exactly what highsea said... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> As part of his job, he has to know what is and is not permissable to broadcast. If he knowingly violates those rules, causing monetary damage to his employer, then he has harmed his employer, and his employer has a right to redress.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote quote from q's reference:</font><hr> In April, after the Federal Communications Commission slapped Clear Channel with a $495,000 fine for the material in question, the company cut all ties with Stern. Clear Channel said it couldn't risk the loss of its broadcast licenses as a result of Stern's antics. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> This is another of Q conspiracies, this time Bush is the master behind Stern's woes.

I have a question for you Q...Would it not be too much to ask from Howard Stern to pay the fines for Clear Channel if Howard Stern felt so strongly about what he "thought" was happening?

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> What's your point? GWB got Stern fired because they didn't like his politics? .....<hr /></blockquote>

If he did I hope he can get Dan Rather fired too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

On second thought maybe not. I like to watch Dan Rather, waiting for his next emotional meltdown.

woody_968
06-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I am not a Howard Strern fan but hate to see fines like this. If people dont want to listen then change the channel, dont take the show away from people that do want to listen.

I know they are not taking the show off and its mearly a fine, but if the fcc had their way they would.

highsea
06-18-2004, 02:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I am not a Howard Strern fan but hate to see fines like this. If people dont want to listen then change the channel, dont take the show away from people that do want to listen.

I know they are not taking the show off and its mearly a fine, but if the fcc had their way they would. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, it's not Stern that is paying the fine, anyway. I mean, the fines are for broadcasting violations of what is considered decent on public airwaves. It's the station that pays the fine, out of their pocket, not Stern's.

This guy has made a career out of pissing off his bosses, the FCC, and anyone else unfortunate enough to get in his sights. He's a grandstander, and he sure doesn't seem to have much loyalty for the people he has worked with in the past, which, in my book says a lot.

I have a little trouble dredging up some sympathy for Stern. But then, he doesn't need it anyway, I really doubt he will be missing any meals over this.

-CM

eg8r
06-18-2004, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a little trouble dredging up some sympathy for Stern. But then, he doesn't need it anyway, I really doubt he will be missing any meals over this.
<hr /></blockquote> I don't think he will suffer either. Heck, the DNC has probably already contacted Howard to speak at Kerry's nomination ceremony. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r