PDA

View Full Version : A Sport writers opinion of TV Pool

PQQLK9
06-10-2004, 07:12 AM
• In the ’80s, it was tractor pulls and rodeo. In the ’90s, it was Australian Rules Football. Now, it seems like every time I turn on ESPN, I’m stuck with billiards and World Series of Poker reruns.Enough already. If I want to watch people shoot pool and play cards, I’ll go down to my local bar. I’ll bet the darts and video trivia people must really be ticked at the way they’re being dissed by ESPN.

Sports Update
Brownie Points: Parcells should have known better
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
No disrespect, no offense to Bill Parcells, but that was a pretty stupid thing to let spill out of your pie hole over there in Dallas.
The Tuna’s reference Monday to offensive coordinator Sean Payton running "Jap plays’’ — those that would surprise the defense — during practice may not have been meant as an insensitive, mean-spirited slur. But any comment, no matter what it is, that begins and ends with an apology proves that even Parcells knew what he was saying was out of place — even as he said it.

ANOTHER GOALIE?

Conventional wisdom has the Coyotes addressing their most pressing need — a skilled offensive forward — with the fifth pick of June 26 NHL entry draft. But many in the organization were very impressed by University of Michigan goaltender Al Montoya at the recent "NHL Combines" in Canada, and Montoya is considering skipping his final two years with the Wolverines and jumping right to the pro ranks.

The Coyotes already have a blue-chip goalie prospect in Cornell’s David LeNeveu, who played very well in Springfield last year. But the Coyotes not only see Montoya as a can’t-miss NHL goalie, but his Latino heritage could go a long way toward attracting new Arizona fans to the game. Phoenix has tried to pry Scott Gomez away from New Jersey several times, with the same thought process in mind.

The problem? Several teams are interested in Montoya and could trade up to take him first. If that’s the case, perhaps Phoenix should dangle its pick, moving down in the first round in return for an NHL-ready player who can assist in the rebuilding project.

QUICK HITTERS

• In the ’80s, it was tractor pulls and rodeo. In the ’90s, it was Australian Rules Football. Now, it seems like every time I turn on ESPN, I’m stuck with billiards and World Series of Poker reruns.

Enough already. If I want to watch people shoot pool and play cards, I’ll go down to my local bar. I’ll bet the darts and video trivia people must really be ticked at the way they’re being dissed by ESPN.

• Of all the completed and proposed tributes to the late Pat Tillman, the Pac-10's decision to name its defensive player-of-theyear award in his honor is easily the best of all.

• By the way, the Lightning did win the Cup Monday — although you might not be sure if you read Tuesday’s Tampa Tribune, which had a piece on the editorial page which began: "The Tampa Bay Lightning didn’t win the National Hockey League’s Stanley Cup last night. But the team had a championship season nevertheless.’’ Of course, two versions were written in advance, and the wrong one ran. But the good news is they made deadline.
Contact Jerry Brown by email, or phone (480) 898-6528

Eric.
06-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Hey Nick,

you know how it goes with Sports Writers; Jack of all trades, Ace of none. Most are your typical "Armchair Quarterbacks", have a strong opinion on everything and feel that the world should share their views.

Eric

larrynj1
06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
i have to agree with the guy, they are beating the 2003 world series of poker to death. i f i wasn't a pool player, i'm sure april's blitz of pool programmimg would've got me po'd.

Rich R.
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hey Nick,

you know how it goes with Sports Writers; Jack of all trades, Ace of none. Most are your typical "Armchair Quarterbacks", have a strong opinion on everything and feel that the world should share their views. <hr /></blockquote>
Most of these sports writers are the guys who couldn't make the team, when they were in school. Now they want to critize everything and every body.
They are no better at writing, than they were at playing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I think the production quality of pool on TV is so bad, I can see someone who is not a fan not enjoying. It is a chore to watch even if you are a fan. I watched a Blackjack tournament on GSN the other night and it was the same thing, a bad production. I don't play Blackjack and I was completely confused the way it was done. Although interesting, I doubt I will watch it again. I really wish they would just put pool on at say midnight when there is a smaller audience and do it better. It isn't a prime time show, and no one thinks it is, so put it where it belongs and it will build an audience. Conon O'Brian isn't on at 9pm and he shouldn't be but he has a nitch audience and his show is what it is.