PDA

View Full Version : League play on TV

Popcorn
06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Has anyone ever been approached or themselves pitched the league play to TV? Although I myself would love to see one pocket on TV, I do live in the real world and understand that most players are twice a week league players. You would think there would be a market to that kind of pool on TV. It is what most players identify with.

PQQLK9
06-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Maybe with the new ownership of the BCA League something along this line will hopefully happen.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't know about typical league play. People can see that anytime. More likely to succeed IMO would be an occasional pro 8-ball match.

In Vegas the finals of the APA national tournaments are played in a makeshift tv studio and taped. It's actually pretty high drama, or the ladies final I watched was anyway. These are just regular players playing for a national amateur championship. I think something like that could certainly work on tv.

Fred Agnir
06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Has anyone ever been approached or themselves pitched the league play to TV? Although I myself would love to see one pocket on TV, I do live in the real world and understand that most players are twice a week league players. You would think there would be a market to that kind of pool on TV. It is what most players identify with. <hr /></blockquote>I don't know what the ratings were, but the '92 or '93 APA National finals team match was on national tv, either ESPN or through PrimeNetwork.

Fred

rocky
06-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I understand that ESPN has here recently signed a "contract" with a billiard entity for paid running of billiard programing on ESPN, huge news IMHO.

woody_968
06-10-2004, 10:43 AM
I think it would be something that would be watched. Its nice to see the pros play, but watching people at skill levels more players could relate too and seeing how they held up under the stress would make for some good viewing IMO.

As far as the one pocket goes I stand with you on the wishfull thinking side. I would love to see it but dont think it will happen any time soon.

cycopath
06-10-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I don't know about typical league play. People can see that anytime. More likely to succeed IMO would be an occasional pro 8-ball match.
<hr /></blockquote>

I agree with that. There's so many APA, BCA, TAP, VNEA, etc. 8 Ball leagues out there, you'd think something like that would be a shoe-in for good ratings.

SPetty
06-10-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I understand that ESPN has here recently signed a "contract" with a billiard entity for paid running of billiard programing on ESPN, huge news IMHO. <hr /></blockquote>Sounds like you're describing the WPBA ESPN deal...

RedHell
06-10-2004, 02:47 PM
OK, here's what have been done here regarding league and TV.

Our VNEA League Organiser, Marco Sanchangrin, set up a TV tournements series. Basicaly every month a qualification tournement was organised. They add singles doubles and teams. On the first tourney, they played up to the semi-finals and scheduled the finals to be recorded for TV. So all thru the month we would have all the finals.

The following months the organized another tourney but this time played it all the way to finals. The winners were getting to the TV challenge, playing the previous TV winner.

Every month monies were given to the TV winners and the runner up. If you could keep winning months after months there was some good money made.

These were broadcasted on local TV, no ESPN or such, but it was nice to see the regular league player going at it in a TV setup with commentator and official referee !!!!