PDA

View Full Version : predator shaft question

05-04-2002, 07:23 PM
do they only come in 12.75 mm? there is a differance to me between the red dot shafts of 12.75 and 13mm. i vastly prefer the latter..more forgiving but still small enough to impart a lot of english.
^v^

Tom_In_Cincy
05-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Part of the uniqueness of the Predator shaft is the very low density of the tip, ferrule and plastic filled hole under the tip down the center of the shaft about 2 inches. Tip size has always been 12.75 mm.

Another reason que repair shops don't like Predator shafts. Too much can go wrong, just putting on a new tip.

05-05-2002, 03:25 AM
The shafts are guaranteed forever against defects so if something DOES happen you can return it to Predator for a new one. I don't know a single cue repair guy who is afraid to work on a Predator.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 10:00 AM
B.B.

Preadator will not replace a shaft that was damaged while someone was doing repairs. No Cue manufacturer does.

Predator does Guarantee any DEFECTS.

Sid_Vicious
05-05-2002, 10:31 AM
I gotta ask,,,what can really go wrong at tip install concidering that the guy doing the work isn't a moron(and there ARE morons doing tips.) Really though, if the tip guy is semi professional at a minimum I don't really see the difference in doing Predators for something like a tip replacement. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks...sid~~~spoiled by having Spiderman doing my tips on his industrial lathe

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 10:40 AM
When you take the old tip off, if done by the tool on the lathe, it can potentially bite into the ferrule and the laminated wood. If the bite is too much, it can split the laminations or even damage the ferrule.
Or if you are successful in removing the tip, when you face off the end of the shaft (to make it perpendicular) for the new tip, it can be damaged here also.

I have also heard that Predator will replace any shaft for whatever reason.. not just defects. Just to keep their reputation up.. and that is good business.

Sid_Vicious
05-05-2002, 10:44 AM
I see it better now. Thanks Tom...sid

Troy
05-05-2002, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: B.B:</font><hr> The shafts are guaranteed forever against defects so if something DOES happen you can return it to Predator for a new one. I don't know a single cue repair guy who is afraid to work on a Predator. <hr></blockquote>

While the 314 IS warranteed for life against any manufacturer defect, that does NOT include warpage or abuse. Go to http://www.predatorcues.com/english/warranty.htm for specifics.

Also, for a ferrule replacement there is a $40 charge.

While I am NOT "afraid to work on a Predator", I know that caution is the key word. For example, while burnishing a new tip using a lathe, it is possible to generate enough heat to start to melt the Predator ferrule, and it doesn't take much.

Troy...~~~ Has NOT hurt a Predator shaft, but has seen the damage and it ain't pretty..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Troy
05-05-2002, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> When you take the old tip off, if done by the tool on the lathe, it can potentially bite into the ferrule and the laminated wood. If the bite is too much, it can split the laminations or even damage the ferrule.
Or if you are successful in removing the tip, when you face off the end of the shaft (to make it perpendicular) for the new tip, it can be damaged here also.

I have also heard that Predator will replace any shaft for whatever reason.. not just defects. Just to keep their reputation up.. and that is good business. <hr></blockquote>

I remove old tips by hand with a razor knife.
Also, when facing off the end of the ferrule, I only take enough off to assure no old tip residue remains, nothing more.

Troy

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Good man.. I do the same thing.

05-05-2002, 01:21 PM
You obviously have never tried. A friend of mine was breaking with his 314 and the ferrule mushroomed where it meets the shaft. He sent it back to predator and 4 weeks later he had a brand new shaft. No questions asked. If any cue repair guy generates enough heat to melt a ferrule then he has no business putting on tips. You are supposed to cut the tip down with the cutting bit first and then finish it with 2000 sandpaper. Buy a magnifying glass if you don't already have one.

WaltVA
05-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Your friend's mushroomed ferrule would be considered a manufacturer's defect and so replaced under warranty. However, in order to lower tip mass the Predator ferrule is made lighter, thinner and of a different (softer) composition than other ferrules. It is possible to generate enough heat to melt it merely by burnishing on a lathe. That would probably NOT be covered, as Predator's warranty specifically warns about this.

Walt in VA

Troy
05-05-2002, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: B.B:</font><hr> You obviously have never tried. A friend of mine was breaking with his 314 and the ferrule mushroomed where it meets the shaft. He sent it back to predator and 4 weeks later he had a brand new shaft. No questions asked. If any cue repair guy generates enough heat to melt a ferrule then he has no business putting on tips. You are supposed to cut the tip down with the cutting bit first and then finish it with 2000 sandpaper. Buy a magnifying glass if you don't already have one. <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for telling us all you know about cue repair.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Troy...

Don't be so hard on the guy.. we were all stupid once...

Harold Acosta
05-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Your friend was lucky. I sent a Predator shaft that broke the ferrule and split the shaft. Predator did not fix it and I got the Shaft! If you know what I mean.

Still dont like Predators although I fell for it again and purchased one for a Lucasi cue.....That was dumb....

Harold