PDA

View Full Version : TV Pool suggestion

jdlenner
06-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I try to watch pool when it is on TV in Thailand (where I live). I am learning and just bought a table for my house. Mostly, I get reruns. Sometimes they are many years old. I do get the Asian 9ball tour and the World Championships however.

Anyway, I would like to see a graphic at the bottom of the screen that shows a cue ball (just a white circle will do) and a "power meter" (Thermometer type graphic say from 1-10 where 10 is the hardest hit)

On each shot, I'd like to be able to quickly see where the player is cueing and how hard he is stroking the cue ball.

At least for me, this would make the games much more interesting to watch. I think it would also help viewers understand exactly what the players are doing to gain good position. As it is now, I see the players putting the cue ball exactly where it should go time after time but, many times, I cannot see what action they put on the cue ball to get it there.

Would any of you welcome something like this? Has it ever been tried?

1Time
06-11-2004, 02:44 AM
This won't happen since it wouldn't be considered valuable by a majority of viewers.

highsea
06-11-2004, 04:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> I try to watch pool when it is on TV in Thailand (where I live). I am learning and just bought a table for my house. Mostly, I get reruns. <font color="red">That's what we get too. </font color> Sometimes they are many years old. <font color="red"> We call it "trick shot magic" </font color> I do get the Asian 9ball tour and the World Championships however. <font color="red"> Lucky you. </font color>

Anyway, I would like to see a graphic at the bottom of the screen that shows a cue ball (just a white circle will do) and a "power meter" (Thermometer type graphic say from 1-10 where 10 is the hardest hit) <font color="red"> Like in the video games? That may be a little over Mitch Lawrence's head.</font color>

On each shot, I'd like to be able to quickly see where the player is cueing and how hard he is stroking the cue ball. <font color="red"> That *would* be nice! We could sacrifice the pocket cam.</font color>

At least for me, this would make the games much more interesting to watch. I think it would also help viewers understand exactly what the players are doing to gain good position. As it is now, I see the players putting the cue ball exactly where it should go time after time but, <font color="red"> That's what I try to do! </font color> many times, I cannot see what action they put on the cue ball to get it there. <font color="red"> You have to use your imagination. </font color>

Would any of you welcome something like this? Has it ever been tried? <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> We will take your suggestion under advisement. You should have our answer soon.

</font color> -CM

Leviathan
06-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Greetings. I think I've seen the white circle and black spot used in an Asian pool broadcast; I'm sure this kind of display would be helpful. The commentators here sometimes say something like "She's going to hit this with a little low left English" before a shot is played, and this can be instructive. I've never seen a power scale used and I'm not sure that such a scale would be valuable. What would it tell us that we don't learn just by watching the shot?

AS

jdlenner
06-11-2004, 06:03 AM
I suppose one can deduce how hard the ball was hit just from watching the shot...but I still think a cue ball graphic in the corner of the screen would be most helpful.

I still wouldn't mind a power meter too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnnyP
06-11-2004, 08:05 AM
They all wear wireless mikes, Wouldn't it be neat if they would talk about how they intend to stroke the ball as they get down on the shot?

cycopath
06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr>Anyway, I would like to see a graphic at the bottom of the screen that shows a cue ball (just a white circle will do) and a "power meter" (Thermometer type graphic say from 1-10 where 10 is the hardest hit)<hr /></blockquote>

Worldpool.com did this with some of their videos. I have a 9ball match between Troy Frank and Corey Deuel where it has a side bar with a cue ball showing the power level and english on each shot. Kinda cool. It's also a player review tape so Troy and Corey are commentating, but the audio level is so low you can't really hear them well.

pooltchr
06-14-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr> They all wear wireless mikes, Wouldn't it be neat if they would talk about how they intend to stroke the ball as they get down on the shot? <hr /></blockquote>

In a game where pre-shot routine is stressed so much, I think this would be quite disruptive to the player's concentration. Don't look for it to happen.

Chris Cass
06-14-2004, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr> They all wear wireless mikes, Wouldn't it be neat if they would talk about how they intend to stroke the ball as they get down on the shot? <hr /></blockquote>

In a game where pre-shot routine is stressed so much, I think this would be quite disruptive to the player's concentration. Don't look for it to happen. <hr /></blockquote>

I can hear the thoughts after the shot. Man, Jerry Springer would have nothing on us pool players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.