PDA

View Full Version : Focusing on CB at the shot

stickman
05-04-2002, 09:29 PM
I don't know if this is the best way for me or not, but I have been experimenting with it, and have been surprised with the results so far. My game is in a transition period right now, and I don't feel real confident. I'm trying to get used to a different stroke than I've been used to using for years. I've found that for me, focusing on the CB after I've lined the shot up isn't that big of a deal. If I stroke the ball exactly as I lined it up, my shot falls. It doesn't matter if I look at the OB or not. I was really kind of amazed by this. I think I'll continue to use this technique until I've determined how well it works. While my game has been in transition, I haven't played anyone, only practiced. I'm curious if when I begin playing, if by focusing on the CB, I will be any less prone to choking on the game shots. Maybe I'll be less concerned with making the ball, and less likely to try to steer the ball or correct at the last moment, if I'm focused only on stroking the cue ball in the precise place. It might work better for me or it might not, but I'm willing to give it a fair try.

05-04-2002, 10:37 PM
When my shooting goes bad (worse than usual) I often find it helpful to look at the cueball last. I see the shot while I'm standing, but when I get down to hit it, it always looks to me like it needs some adjustment, and I have formed a bad habit of making a crooked stroke for this reason, unconsciously. Looking at the cueball last seems to help with this problem.

There's a downside to it, tho. When I'm looking at the cueball, the rest of the table sort of disappears, and it becomes more difficult to get the speed right, because I do not see where I'm trying to go with the cueball.

stickman
05-05-2002, 06:56 AM
That could turn into a plus also. I often miss shots and get perfect position. If I couldn't see where I was trying to position the cue ball, maybe I wouldn't miss the shot? Time will tell.