PDA

View Full Version : Brown Wood

PoOn
06-11-2004, 07:53 PM
what are some good brown colored wood to put on a cue? and what are some other brown stuff to put as inlays?

Rod
06-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Here is a link to some great looking pieces of wood. That might help you decide. Wood (http://www.gilmerwood.com/Gilmerwood%20Wood%20Sample%20Images.htm)

Rod

PoOn
06-11-2004, 08:39 PM
i dont know anything about wood and i dont think im going to be able to choose by myself so maybe some suggestions...?

Frank_Glenn
06-11-2004, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> i dont know anything about wood and i dont think im going to be able to choose by myself so maybe some suggestions...? <hr /></blockquote>

Snakewood looks good. Bacote looks good, Cocabola looks good, Paduak looks good, Purpleheart looks good, Olive wood looks good, Walnut looks good. I could go on all night. But I won't. Make it out of Olive with Snakewood inlays. There, you have your answer.

kenz54
06-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Bocote is a medium brown wood....fairly grainy.
Cocobolo is also a nice medium brown wood too. Both are used as a more exotic wood in cues.

PoOn
06-11-2004, 09:00 PM
i like the way these woods look Granadilla, Jatoba, Kabukalli, Kwila, and Mulga but i don't know how they would do on a cue... does anybody know about any of these woods? which wood would do good as the forearm and butt and which wood do better as inlays?

Chris Cass
06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Poon,

Cocabola is sharp, Macasser ebony is sharp, Cully maple is sharp, geez, there's many. I think Cocabola is the prettiest but the Macasser is black that blends into brown. I'd leave some up to the artist. They have a knack for making the blends come out right. I would suggest you pick a varied selection then turn it over to the cuemakers creative artistic touch.

Regards,

C.C.

ryushen21
06-14-2004, 09:41 PM
i personally like that good dark cocobolo. my friend had a Dale Perry that was absolutely beautiful with dark cocobolo and ebony.

dr_billiards
06-15-2004, 03:43 AM
I'd go with a Pau Ferro forearm with cocobolo points.Use maple/purpleheart slots for your rings.And a solid piece of cocobolo for the butt sleeve of the cue.Dark brown phenolic for the butt plate and the collars would make an awesome looking cue.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
06-15-2004, 06:11 AM
POon are you going to do the work yourself or are you having the cue made. The reason I ask is some of the woods are dangerous [poisonous]. ####

dr_billiards
06-15-2004, 06:45 AM
oops, I forgot Pau Ferro dust is [poisonous].Thanks #### leonard for the reminder.....
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank_Glenn
06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> oops, I forgot Pau Ferro dust is [poisonous].Thanks #### leonard for the reminder.....
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Almost all of the exotics are dangerous. You should wear a dust mask and wash your hands really well after messing with them (once the cue is sealed and coated, this should not be a problem, just when sanding/cutting the woods.

dooziexx
06-15-2004, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> I'd go with a Pau Ferro forearm with cocobolo points.Use maple/purpleheart slots for your rings.And a solid piece of cocobolo for the butt sleeve of the cue.Dark brown phenolic for the butt plate and the collars would make an awesome looking cue.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ive got a Mike Bender cue with Pau Ferro forearm and cocobolo points. Really pretty... Some of the woods that I like are burl woods ie, maple burl, amboyna burl, afezelia burl...

dr_billiards
06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Yes that cue does look nice, thanks for sharing it.
DB

SpiderMan
06-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I have a cue on Ebay that might be a good example of Cocobolo wood:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3682703 191&amp;rd=1&amp;ssPageName=WDVW

Hope this posting isn't bad etiquette, I had not planned to mention the sale on this board. Actually, I don't even use Ebay, I consigned it to an experienced seller.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> i personally like that good dark cocobolo. my friend had a Dale Perry that was absolutely beautiful with dark cocobolo and ebony. <hr /></blockquote>
There are actually a couple diffent types of cocobolo.
Some are in the medium brown family of colors and others are a dark brownish red. Both are beautiful in a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Your seller wrote you a not so good ad. The knock on Meucci is in bad taste and there are no pictures that can even be seen. The listings he has for his own stuff are no good, no search words, he doesn't seem do any pictures other then the ones through ebay. Do it yourself with nice pictures and good description, minus the silly sales pitch. People know what they are looking at, They just want an honest description and good pictures. I would end that auction and redo it right. He even states in the auction it is not returnable, you are dead in the water right there. No Offense

ryushen21
06-15-2004, 09:01 PM
yeah i know. i was looking at that site that Rod posted. That site has some killer pieces of wood available. there are actually a few pieces that i may order to send to a cuemaker in the future.

In regard to that DP that i was talking about, it was a killer piece that that was real dark but when you got some like on it it had a brilliant brownish red shine.

Cueless Joey
06-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Woods? (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/dscn0256_large.jpg) Pommele (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/dscn0258_large.jpg) Red or brown (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/bbngagrdl_large.jpg) Mine :-) (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/dcp00539_large.jpg) Colored buckhorn sets by Zylr (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/dcp00533_large.jpg)

Rich R.
06-16-2004, 03:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> there are actually a few pieces that i may order to send to a cuemaker in the future.
<hr /></blockquote>
I'm no expert, but chances are that a good cue maker would not be able to use wood from this source for several years. Wood has to be seasoned and dried for quite a long time, before it is stable enough to use for a cue. Most good cue makers buy wood, years before they use it. Of course it would depend on the moisture content, when they receive it.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on this subject will come in and give more details, or tell me that I am totally wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fred Agnir
06-16-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> there are actually a few pieces that i may order to send to a cuemaker in the future.
<hr /></blockquote>
I'm no expert, but chances are that a good cue maker would not be able to use wood from this source for several years. <hr /></blockquote>I know a couple of cuemakers that buy from Gilmer Wood with the intent to use it immediately. YMMV.

Fred

Fred Agnir
06-16-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> what are some good brown colored wood to put on a cue? and what are some other brown stuff to put as inlays? <hr /></blockquote>Amboyna Burl.

Fred

Cueless Joey
06-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Most of their woods are kilned at 8% or below.
Some woods like olive wood and ebony are not kilned ( they crack). Those have to sit and air dry for a long time.
If woods are kilned right ( those who are not show checking and shrink excessively) can be cut into rods then blanks within weeks. Blanks are still at oversized. Hang em and let them move and shrink ( preferably in semi-controled environment). They warp more on dry conditions.
Once they have stabilized, small passes and facing them then joining them with the handles are next.
Then more hanging time. If they don't move and shrink after some exposure to varying weather conditions, small passes are taken then mated to the shafts.

SpiderMan
06-16-2004, 08:48 AM
It's hard to find anyone willing to do Ebay for you. The local B&amp;M Ebay storefronts grab 30% to 50%, which prices you out of the market, so you have to try and find someone with less overhead. Maybe you should consider offering the service as a side business. There are only one or two physical Ebay stores so far in Dallas, but the number will increase because of recent news coverage on the business concept.

I chose these folks because of their 100% positive feedback rating, and I trust them. I had bought merchandise from them a couple of times before. They offered me a mutlti-photo package, which I declined. Maybe a bad idea, because I have had to respond to multiple requests for closeup photos over the past few days. Live and learn.

Part of my agreement is to do all the packing and shipping. I did co-write the ad because they knew nothing about pool cues, maybe it's corny (I'm new at it) but at least all the information is there. Many of the cue ads on Ebay give little or no detail. I see so many custom cues for sale without weight, length, ferrule diameter, or tip composition. I'd want to know all that stuff at first browse, or I'd just move on to the next item.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Why would you not do it yourself? It's easy and fun 80 year old ladies do it, and you can do it right. If you paid a nickel for what they did you got ripped off. Just write the best most informative ad you can, with tons of nice pictures and you will get top dollar for the cue. It seems like a nice cue, in fact it may be a little under priced. That buy it now thing with the price going down everyday just insults and cheapens your cue. That cue is unique, that is not the kind of pitch for a custom cue like it is everyday retail junk at a dollar store. When the right buyer comes along the cue will sell even if you have to run it several times. They just want to sell it and get their commission, they don't care about getting you a good price, just sell it quick and get paid, thats the business they are in. One look at their other ads tell you the are not very good, you are getting screwed. The thing is, it is not like you have a whole trunk load of cues. This is the only one and you want to get the most you can from it.

SpiderMan
06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Why would you not do it yourself? <hr /></blockquote>

I'd like to do that, but I keep putting off getting PayPal and transfer accounts set up. Just need to get off my butt and get started, but I have too many hobbies.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>It seems like a nice cue, in fact it may be a little under priced. <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully someone I've sent larger pictures to will agree!

SpiderMan