PDA

View Full Version : New Toy!!! J/B Cue

Cane
06-12-2004, 03:08 PM
This past Monday, I received a new jump/break cue and I have to say it is, without a doubt, the best j/b I've ever owned, by leaps and bounds. This cue breaks better than any I've ever owned and I've owned just about every J/B on the market at one time or another. My jump shots are now done at anywhere from lag speed to stroke speed. Stroke speed, what I call 3 speed, will jump table length. Lag speed will jump close to a ball (I'm still working on it, but the closest I've gotten yet is a little more than half a ball away from a blocker) and if you aren't careful, you'll sail completely over the target ball. If I were to say that this cue has a fantastic transfer of energy, it would be a gross understatement. The only problem I had with it is that I had to learn to slow my break stroke down to just a little over stroke speed. I tried it with my "hard break" with it one time, and ended up crawling under a table 20 feet away to get the cue ball. Sam with my jump shots. I learned really fast that I didn't have to use near as much speed and elevation with this cue, and spent the first few strokes picking the cue ball up from the floor because I blew it off of the table using the same stroke I used with my "I won't say the name of it" jump cue.

Now, think of the potential of a cue that will do this. You can break at a much slower stroke and more easily control the cue ball. You can jump with much greater accuracy because you're using less cue elevation and less cue speed, so that long jumps are now balls you aim to make, not just aim to hit and avoid giving ball in hand.

I said the only problem was learning to throw my stroke down on jumps and breaks, but there is one other problem. I have to chase my friends around the pool room to retrieve my cue when I'm ready to break or jump a ball. Five of my patrons have put their jump cues and break cues up for sale so they can buy one of these. If I were a bit more of a jerk, I'd charge them a buck a stroke and break even on this cue in a couple of weeks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before I tell you who makes these cues, I want to make sure you understand that I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in the cuemakers business other than I'm more happy with this cue than I've ever been with any J/B cue I've ever owned. I also have a custom cue ordered from this same maker. He finished the J/B first and sent it ahead... mine is more expensive than is normal J/B's because it's made to match my custom, but all the "pretty stuff" that's on mine aren't necessary. The plain Jane JB will do everything mine does.

The cuemaker is Jerry Powers of Jerico Cues (http://www.jericocues.com). Go to Jerry's page and he has a downloadable video of this cue jumping a ball from 1" away from the blocker. The video is impressive, but once you get one of these cues in your hand, using it is even MORE impressive.

Shoot well,

Bob

PQQLK9
06-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Pure and simple unadulterated SPAM...
have you no shame? /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Cane
06-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Nick,

I apologize if you took that as spam. What I meant it as was my opinion of a new product that is helpful and useful to my game, and may be helpful and useful to others. I do not sell these cues, I am not a dealer for them, I get on consideration, monetary or otherwise from Jerico Cues. I'm simply an extremely satisfied customer that wanted to give the board members here the benefit of my experience. How is that different from you or anyone else on this board saying "I like to play on Simonis" or "I love Meucci Cues" or "Nothing plays like Viatorre" or ANYONE that's not a newbie to this forum having an opinion. If I have an opinion, good or bad, about anything, I would expect that as long as I do it tactfully, I could comment on it in this forum without being accused of spamming the board. I share information on ANYTHING, especially if I think it's something good.

See, that's what I do. I'm a BCA Instructor and my life is based around giving people the benefit of my experience (sometimes selling that knowledge, but if you were close enough to hang around my pool room you'd see that I GIVE more than I sell). Sorry, but I just can't seem to limit myself to Grip, Stance, Stroke, Physics, etc. It also goes into equipment, including tables, cues, balls, training aids, etc.

And for shame? Yes I have shame, and I feel it when I know something or come across something pool related that I don't share with others.

By the way, so I'm not just BOB or CANE on here and to show you there's no shame and that I'm not hiding behind a cloak of anonymity, my name is Bob Nunley. I'm a BCA Instructor and an operator of a small pool room in a small town called Poteau, OK. Actually my girlfriend, Billie, owns the Sports Bar and Pool room and I manage them for FREE. Also, all proceeds from the pool school I operate, go right back into the pool room and sports bar. I don't keep a penny from any of it. To tell you the truth, I don't need it. I play competitive pool, both "on the light" pool and tournaments. I do it because I love the game and because I have a passion for teaching others, and I would NEVER say anything good about something unless I truly believed it was something others would like to know about.

Again, my apologies if you thought it was spam (which, from my experience is promotion of a product for financial gain, none of which I'd receive if Jerico Cues sold a thousand of these cues). I'm 48 years old, been playing since I was 8. I'm retired, have been since I was 42 and am financially secure enough that I don't have to promote ANYONE'S product to pay my rent. Anything I say is a "good thing", I say it because I feel it truly is, not because I need to pick up pennies from anyone for selling their cues, or whatever.

Later,
Bob

dr_billiards
06-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Bob, Thanks for your fine insight on this B/J cue. I for one didn't take it as spam, I took it as a person who was sharing knowledge of a product.
Best regards,
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Jerry's BJ cue is the best I have experienced as well. I don't own one, but I already own a good hopper, and several break cues. Seriously, the Jerico BJ cue is a superb combination, plain and simple...sid

Chris Cass
06-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey Bob,

Please don't think bad of my dawg Nick. We do get a lot of this stuff here. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and if I were you I'd tell them to get their own. By the time they get off their duff and get one. Yours will be all beat up. I know! They're constantly asking for mine. It's not a break jump but nontheless, it's my stuff. Funny, they ask me all the time, "Can I take a hit with your cue?" I look at them really seriously and say, "Are you out of your mind?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~always says, "Do I give you the impression, I even like you?" HAHAHAHAHAHA

Zynix
06-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey Bob, where are you at in Oklahoma? I grew up in Mounds, Leonard, Bixby, and most recently lived in Tulsa and Tahlequah.

ceebee
06-13-2004, 12:57 PM
hi Bob, where do you live in Oklahoma. I live in Bartlesville. Did you buy straight from Jerrico Cues or from Larry Rothberg in Dallas? Did you buy a fancy one? I have a Predator BK & an Auerbach Custom Break Cue... maybe I'll get another one. The more I have, the more choice I have for my customer.

Cane
06-14-2004, 04:05 AM
I live in Poteau... easiest way to get there is go to the end of the world and turn right! Seriously, It's bout 30 miles south of I-40 very close to the Ark/Oklahoma state line. Not a bad place to live but sure not a hot bed of pool.

I got the cue straight from Jerico. You can get one a LOT cheaper than I got mine. Mine is a "matching" cue to another cue that is supposed to be here in the next couple of weeks. The one I have is Bocote and Maple with Bocote forearm and four inverted points with a bocote diamond between each point. Really nice looking... and it got wear and tear again tonight (or was that last night...) just got home from a tournament in Fort Smith... took second to Curtis Payne... many of you southern players will know who he is. Curtis asked if he could use it and broke and ran the hill hill match with me in the finals. I just smile and told him that I hoped his dog died, shook his hand and took my second place money! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Could have been worse I reckon, but if I can lose hill/hill to Curtis, I'm a happy camper! LOL

Well, almost daylight here and I have league in about 14 hours. Think I'll hit the kitchen, eat a slice of red velvet cake and get some rest.

Any of you Okies that are close by are welcome anytime in Breakers! Well, ANYONE on this board is welcome there anytime... I have a table in the front of the pool room that I play on and somehow the table time on it just gets lost in space. Just come in and ask where the big bald ba$%ard is and they'll send you to Pool Hall Hell in the back of the building! Hope to see some of you there soon.

ceebee... I did get your email last week about your product. Would like to come see you and check it out one on one sometime. Let me know when is good for you. Bartlesville is only about 2 hours away.

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/caneman/academy.htm)

Cane
06-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Zynix,

I'm REALLY close to Springdale... about 100 miles at the most. I'm 88 miles from exit 64 on 540... go there often. I have friends in Fayetteville and Rogers. email me offlist at caneman@clnk.com and maybe we can get together and bang a few balls around... unless of course, this is Shane Jones that I'm talking to... Shane won my first big tournament at Breakers... not sure I want to be humiliated by him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If you aren't Shane... where is his pool room in Fayette'nam. Let me know on email. I'd like to visit it and him.

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billaird Academy (http://members.clnk.com/caneman/academy.htm)

Zynix
06-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Well im not Mr. Jones but I have watched him play. I just moved here so im not to familiar with the area. There is one pool hall I know of in Springdale in the Madison Plaza. Its a real big place but I have rarely seen more than 5-10 people in there on a tourney night... This is weird coming from Tulsa at billiards palace where the tourneys have close to 200 people. I'm not the best player in the world but im learning. The tourneys are Friday nights at 8. Just head down 412 until you hit a street named Pleasent. Take a right go past the light and Wal-Mart youll get back on the highway. Look for the big Madison Plaza sign. It's red and yellow. Turn left in there, go all the way in the back and its on the left.

Its not a bad place but alittle slow. Apparently theres some other pool halls around here but i've yet to find em. Atleast the ones who speak english.

JohnBarton
06-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi there,

I an from Russellville, Arkanasas. My name is John Barton and I have $100 that says that the Jerico can not beat the Bunjee Jumper in heads up competiton. I have been doing Bunjee exhibitions for over five years and I have yet to see any cue that unequivocably jumps better than the Bunjee. Some jump equally as well but none have been better.

All respect to Jery Powers and Jerico Cues though. I played with a friend's Jerico Cue at the BCA Nationals and it played JAM UP!

So, if you ever find yourself on I-40 between Little Rock and Fort Smith feel free to stop in Beezer's Biliards and ask for John Barton. I'll be more than happy to come down and compare cues or just shoot some.

John Barton

Sid_Vicious
06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
John...I lived in Conway for 12 years but never played anything more than bar pool, so I'm unfamiliar with your PH in Russellville. Tell me, do you say the same thing concerning the Jerico BJ and the Bunjee BJ, performing in both modes, break and jump? It's my personal opinion that Jerry's BJ exceeds the Bungee combo in it's dual purpose events, but that's all it is at this point, MPO. To establish any kind of $100 bet I feel there's have to be several players who jump and break proficiently to begin with, and then do the sample. You can become extra proficient with a certain cue if you orbit around it. Jericho's BJ has played instantly for me, and I've randomly sampled two. 2 out of 2 satisfies me, I can't say that the Bungee, even the first one, second one or even the third one I've tried made as fast an impression on me. The pricing difference is another issue...sid~~~just giving my opinion, hope you don't take it as defensive, and remember...the Stealth wouldn't work for me without a pricy tip change, and most people's opinion of the Stealth contradicts needing anything changed, so maybe I'm not the most accurate judge

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Is this the cue or your personal skills? Have you or would you also bet if a third party did the shooting with both cues?

JohnBarton
06-14-2004, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Is this the cue or your personal skills? Have you or would you also bet if a third party did the shooting with both cues? <hr /></blockquote>

I would prefer to have a few other people doing the tests. Recently I tagged Larry Nevel to do this type of comparison in Vegas and it was obvious to everyone present that Larry was having equal success with both the Bunjee and the challenger.

John

JohnBarton
06-14-2004, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> John...I lived in Conway for 12 years but never played anything more than bar pool, so I'm unfamiliar with your PH in Russellville. Tell me, do you say the same thing concerning the Jerico BJ and the Bunjee BJ, performing in both modes, break and jump? It's my personal opinion that Jerry's BJ exceeds the Bungee combo in it's dual purpose events, but that's all it is at this point, MPO. To establish any kind of $100 bet I feel there's have to be several players who jump and break proficiently to begin with, and then do the sample. You can become extra proficient with a certain cue if you orbit around it. Jericho's BJ has played instantly for me, and I've randomly sampled two. 2 out of 2 satisfies me, I can't say that the Bungee, even the first one, second one or even the third one I've tried made as fast an impression on me. The pricing difference is another issue...sid~~~just giving my opinion, hope you don't take it as defensive, and remember...the Stealth wouldn't work for me without a pricy tip change, and most people's opinion of the Stealth contradicts needing anything changed, so maybe I'm not the most accurate judge <hr /></blockquote>

My opinion is that most amateurs have such different and varied strokes that the reaction to any particular cue is as individual as DNA. The professionals, on the other hand, having incredibly consistent strokes are much better able to objectively judge a cue's performance.

With all of my experience with jump cues and jumping, my stroke is still not consistent enough to perform the same shot over and over again like the pros do it. I have been constantly amazed at the ability of the many pros I know to do shots over and over which very good amateurs have had trouble with.

I wouldn't put any money on the Bunjee Jump Breaker to "beat" any other break cue or any other cue for that matter. Not because I don't think the Bunjee won't perform well but because the break is a huge variable. It is my opinion that it is practically impossible to measure break performance without thousands of breaks under various conditions. Jumping on the other hand is fairly easy to measure as the shots are easy to duplicate so that the only variables are the cue used and the person executing the shot.

For the record, I don't make any money off of the Bunjee. This is not an advertisement. It's just that whenever someone says that x-cue is the best then I have to speak up because of my experience with just about all of them. Just like ice cream, jump cues come in many flavors and each of us amateurs will prefer one or the other.

One thing I know for sure is that the Jerico is a very good cue and very well built. Jerry Powers is one of those cuemakers who is always learning, always experimenting and always innovating. Whether it actually jumps better than or equal to any other cue is irrelevant as long as you are happy with it.

The $100 is in play for the jumping only :-))

John (not very proficient with any cue)

Cane
06-14-2004, 03:23 PM
John,

Actually, I do plan to make a trip to Beezers. Darryl Cowan and I run together a bit and one of your patrons, Michael Sanders (I hope I got that right) has been to my place a couple of times and invited us down. I really need some info however. I understand your having some APA events there that we'd really like to play in.

By the way, Darryl has been there and said you have a class operation! Really anxious to see it. As for comparing cues, this one is #5 of a new design that Jerico has. If we can get down for a little one pocket, I'll bring it along (although I never use it playing one pocket... jump a ball in One Pocket??? Sacrilidge!!!)

I still have to break Darryl into One Pocket... He thinks it's too long and boring, however, I think he's willing to learn... he went to St Louis a few weeks ago and said he couldn't get much 9-Ball action, but could have had all the one pocket action he wanted.

I'm rambling! LOL If you don't mind, email me a list of your events and tournament dates and I'll drag as many Arklahoma players as I can along with me.

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
06-14-2004, 05:42 PM
"The $100 is in play for the jumping only :-))"

Thanks, and just to be clear, are you saying that the segment of both cues for jumping is in this contest, and not the dedicated JC from each maker? sid

JohnBarton
06-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Bob,

Come on down. Sanders is usually game for some nine ball or one pocket. Craig Sebastian likes to play one pocket. I like to play one pocket but I really suck. Not angling for weight, I really suck despite some of the best instruction anywhere. So I am taking a hiatus from gambling on pool until I rebuild my business and my head is clear.

We do have a bunch of tournaments and if you will send me your address I'll be more than happy to get our tournament calendar sent to you.

John

JohnBarton
06-15-2004, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "The $100 is in play for the jumping only :-))"

Thanks, and just to be clear, are you saying that the segment of both cues for jumping is in this contest, and not the dedicated JC from each maker? sid <hr /></blockquote>

We could do either. I meant it for the jump portion of the cue. I will put just the Bunjee Jumper up against any other cue as well.

John