PDA

View Full Version : If You Were as Rich as Bill Gates...

nhp
06-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Would you try to revolutionize pool? Would you try to make the tournament payouts as much as the World Poker Tour? Say if you had almost 'unlimited' money, what types of changes would you make for the game?

Popcorn
06-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I would explore opening good quality billiard rooms and putting on tournaments but not for the purpose of just giving away money. It has to be successful and self supporting or it will die the moment I stop being involved. Success has a way of building on it's self. The point would be, to prove there is a market for it so others can pick up the ball. That is how most things work, someone is the pioneer and it goes from there. Pool is not a fad, it has been around for a few hundred years all it may need is an angel to come along and jump start it. Poker is a good comparison to pool in a few way, it is not a fad people have been playing cards more then a thousand years. The main difference is though, poker can be played by someone right away and it is cheap. A deck of cards, some knowledge of the rules and a group of people and they can play all night. Pool can be a little expensive to play, takes time to learn and understand and you need a table to play. Back to being the Bill Gates, I would also donate tables to where ever it would make practical sense. Schools, youth organizations, prisons, senior center and so on, bring the game to everyone and create life long lovers of the game. With the power of a Bill Gates, you could also do product placement in the media. Something like the old Cosby show would have a pool table in the house and portray the game being played in a wholesome atmosphere as a back drop. They are just playing pool as they discuss other things, make it seem like a normal thing to play pool. "You mean you don't play pool, is there something wrong with you"? A Bill Gates could really do something that may be long-lasting and build the game and bring it to more people.

Popcorn
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
I forgot to add, I would get celebrity involved. Tournaments with celebrity name attached. How about a table in the White house and a president that plays the game and makes it well known, I.E.. Ike and golf. Why doesn't someone like Diamond donate a table to the white house. I remember the movie "An American President" with Michael Douglas and them playing pool. I always wondered if there is really a table in the white house? Like poker to a degree, pool could leap to the forefront of consciousness with the right combination of circumstances. By the way, Nixon had a pool table in his house in Miami, I know the guy that installed it. I don't know if he really played though.

Tommy_Davidson
06-13-2004, 10:40 PM
> According to George Fels,there are at least 6 9 foot Gandys in the basement of the White House,more often than not being used by Secret Service agents. Tommy D.

Rod
06-14-2004, 12:32 AM
How many lotterys in a row would I need to win and have his bucks? I'd do something and I think Popcorn is along the right track. Other than that I'd just cruise around the country and say hi to relatives, old friends and some friends here. I might even play pool a little more! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I have the pretend dough and I do something to better the sport a little time off is needed. I'd pay all expenses for a complete family reunion. Heck I might even spring a few bucks for a CCB get together. Of course the chicks er ladys definitely get a free invite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod

#### leonard
06-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Brunswick put a table in Camp David when Clinton was pres if my memory is right...####

dooziexx
06-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I would play anyone and everyone for $10 million a set. The pressure would be on my opponent to win. $10 mil to bill gates is a spit in the bucket! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
06-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I would start a reality series called "The Ring Game".

Five players meet in a super high class 10 ball ring game at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, with a $50,000 stake each, playing for a winner takes all $250,000.

As the Ring Game progresses, we flash back to mini-documentaries of each of the players. Camera crews follow around our players and do documentaries. My first picks would be Efren Reyes, Keith McCready, Corey Deuel, Earl Strickland, and Mika Immonen. These are some of the most interesting stories. They would show their daily lives and families, their successes and failures, their hard work, their histories and struggles, their hustling and tournament play.

They would meet in the big Ring Game for the finale. This would be pools version of the Skins game.

piglit
06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> I would start a reality series called "The Ring Game".

Five players meet in a super high class 10 ball ring game at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, with a $50,000 stake each, playing for a winner takes all $250,000.

As the Ring Game progresses, we flash back to mini-documentaries of each of the players. Camera crews follow around our players and do documentaries. My first picks would be Efren Reyes, Keith McCready, Corey Deuel, Earl Strickland, and Mika Immonen. These are some of the most interesting stories. They would show their daily lives and families, their successes and failures, their hard work, their histories and struggles, their hustling and tournament play.

They would meet in the big Ring Game for the finale. This would be pools version of the Skins game.
<hr /></blockquote>

Love your idea, tateuts!

To hell w/ BGates, we can put this puppy together...I'm in for $20...

-pige

RedHell
06-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I would add one more thing to this reality concept. How about throwing in a non-pro player with average skill levels. He could spend a week with every pro players, he would shadow them and get lessons and training from them. Everyweek, after the players bio, you get to see what they did, where they went, what they work on etc.

At the end, the regular dude plays with the pro in the ring game and see if he can compete with the best !!!!

Maybe the regular dude could be selected from a tournement or a couple of them, that would be week one !!!

DMoney1644
06-14-2004, 11:53 PM
how about this for a reality show:

you hold a nationwide tournament for non-pro players, i don't care what game, but a quick game like 9-ball would probably appeal to a larger audience. some network executives travel to a bunch of major cities holding tournaments and only allowing like the top 5 or less from each city to move on. the next stage would be a much larger venue with each contestant flown to one city for a tournament of all the remaining players. the top 10 or so move on and are all put in a house together (think Last Comic Standing). each week you have a random name drawing to see which 2 players will compete. one player is eliminated each week and the final overall winner gets a chance to play on the pro cicuit with a major sponsorship from whatever company sponsors the show.

wouldn't that be great? the length of the races each week wouldn't matter, the network could edit out anything boring, picking the highlights from each game. there would be plenty of suspense; the facial expressions and reactions of the non-shooting player, cutting to a commercial just as someone sends whitey the entire length of the table for a tough cut on the 9 so you have to wait until the show comes back on to see if they made it. interviews, cameras rolling 24/7 to capture EVERYTHING, the interaction between the players, how they get along living together, etc. it'd be easy to get attached to the players and feel involved. every viewer would have a favorite they were constantly rooting for. there would, of course, have to be a few tables in the house for private matches whose outcome wouldn't affect eliminations. maybe you could have viewers vote american idol style to determine the weekly matchups so the viewers would feel even more involved. oh it would work beautifully.

i gotta say, im amazed at my own brilliance here. maybe it's just the fact that it's midnight and so it sounds better to me than it will when i read it again when im awake, but i think i may have a career in television. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
06-15-2004, 06:08 AM
I'd be home asleep right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What does that guy work for anyways? It's a sickness.