PDA

View Full Version : Peoria

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Listen up folks and I'll tell you the truth.

Mellissa Herndon is one kick-ass 9-ball player. And a super nice lady as well.

I did not see Sarah Rousey play but we had a chance to talk to her last night. I can tell you she is as just as nice a person in person as she is in cyberspace. Sarah is the greatest.

I got to see Fran again and I remember now why I like her so much.

and Carol, if you know her I need explain no further. If you don't know her you should.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
We got to the tourney at Peoria about 1:00 Friday. There was not a huge crowd, maybe 100, but it really picked up as the weekend went on. By Saturday night there were between 400 and 500 I would guess.

My prediction was wrong. We were able to find seats in the VIP section with no problem.

I was surprised at first that very few of the players were in the room between matches. I guess they have a nice players lounge there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. This all changed by Saturday night as players were eliminated. After their elimination almost all the players were very accomodating for autographs and such.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I missed Melissa Herndon's first 2 wins over Lisa Marr and Gina Kim-Lipsky. She lost her third match to Corr.

When we arrived Saturday Melissa was playing Thornfelt. Melissa went on to defeat Thornfelt 9-6. I got the impression that Helena did not like losing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. A couple of times she was bordering on equipment abuse. With Melissa on the hill Helena was faced with this kick.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%HN3X0%IR0Y2%PV6Z7%QT1Q5%UU2T5%VV3Y1
)END

She miscued sending the ball to A and raked the cue ball downtable before it stopped rolling, all the while blaming the carpet on the floor for her misfortune. Melissa stayed cool as a cucumber and put her out of her misery.

Melissa went on to beat Hsin Huang. IIRC she was on the hill when she nailed this bank, leaving the cueball at A, and went on to run out.

START(
%Ec2H6%Fl9G6%Ga0I3%Hd5W6%Ik0R1%Pe0N1%Qc4F6%Ua6E1%V b6G1%W[8Y4
%X`7D2
)END

Then she beat Melissa Little in a hill-hill thriller. Toward the end of that match Herndon missed a couple of tough shots. I believe that was the first shots she had missed in about 30+ games. Next up was Julie Kelly who was soundly defeated 9-6. Unfortunately next up was Monica Webb who played absolutely flawlessly and Mellisa's great run was over.

IIRC this is one of the shots Melissa missed in her match against Little. She had to draw back for the 7.

START(
%FO0Z2%Gp2O8%HV4H8%IN7L3%Pa4X8%UE9Z7%VM4Z4%]Q0Z5%^_7Y0
)END

She got the leave but unfortunately jawed the 6. Later on that evening, being the idiot that I am, I tried to give her advice on her draw shot (My pool knowledge increases in direct proportion to the cocktails I consume). Melissa convinced me, in no uncertain terms. that she does indeed know how to draw the cue ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Hopefully she has forgiven me, or better yet completely forgotten, in which case I probly should not even bring it up /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Melissa Herndon is one fine pool player and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. She's cute too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Melissa Herndon is one fine pool player and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. She's cute too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
My feelings, exactly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 11:01 AM
I missed the sig-a-long in the lounge Friday:

http://www.wpba.com/images/Line%20W.jpg

Notice Dawn's beret which was the fashion statement of the weekend, or maybe it was Hsin-Huang's attire which was reminiscent of the Mao era /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This was in the lounge in the lobby. They were so loud they had to close the doors to the tourney room cause matches were still going on.

I did, however get to see VV playing Heart and Soul on the lobby piano on Saturday. Badly, I might add /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Bonnie Arnold played some and she was really good.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
How old is Liz Schwartzreich? Anybody know?

I watched her play Lisa D'Atri. Man, this kid doesn't seem like she has an ounce of fear in her. She was fun to watch.

Barbara
06-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Wally,

She's in her late twenties, IIRC.

Yeah, when she's in her "zone", she's deadly. BTW, she moved from Oregon to NYC just to play in the NEWT tour 4 years ago. How strong is that? She figured if she could become POY she'd have a great chance to make it into the WPBA.

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
06-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Isn't she one of the new touring pros in the WPBA now? I was wondering only 'cause they don't have a bio for her in the WPBA site and I saw the other newly minted pros on there.

Barbara
06-14-2004, 02:03 PM
She's not a Touring Pro, yet. I think she may have one or two points towards it, though.

Barbara

SPetty
06-14-2004, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Notice Dawn's beret which was the fashion statement of the weekend...<hr /></blockquote>This headwear will forever be known to me as a "pool beanie", named thusly by our very own Rip while watching the pros together a few years ago. It seems to be all the rage and is catching on with other pool players. I saw Leslie Rogers in one a few weeks ago.

Frank_Glenn
06-14-2004, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Notice Dawn's beret which was the fashion statement of the weekend...<hr /></blockquote>This headwear will forever be known to me as a "pool beanie", named thusly by our very own Rip while watching the pros together a few years ago. It seems to be all the rage and is catching on with other pool players. I saw Leslie Rogers in one a few weeks ago. <hr /></blockquote>

No, I was wearing the "Pool Beanie" at the Inside Pool party at Valley Forge. If you missed it, ask someone who was there (several of them post here).

CarolNYC
06-15-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mellissa Herndon is one kick-ass 9-ball player <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely! She definitely plays "jam-up!"She is also a great person-inspiring and encouraging-you can't ask for any better than that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
06-15-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"pool beanie", named thusly by our very own Rip <hr /></blockquote>
Ha HA HA-I remember that!
Actually its a "Kangol" hat-its pretty popular- my daughters friends wear them-I think it looks cool,but then again, I always liked that "Green Beret"look! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

9 Ball Girl
06-15-2004, 08:51 AM
That's right, it was called the Kangol. It became very popular in the early 80s, back in the breakdancing days. Oh the memories. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
And kept popular by Samuel L. Jackson.

BLACKHEART
06-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I was a Breen Beret, maybe that's why you like me...JER /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rukiddingme
06-15-2004, 10:05 AM
The whole weekend was kick ass!
It was really nice meeting you and your wife. We can now associate a face with a name.
I intend to go to Peoria next year and hope that we can see each other again then.
ruk

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> The whole weekend was kick ass!
It was really nice meeting you and your wife. We can now associate a face with a name.
I intend to go to Peoria next year and hope that we can see each other again then.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

Nice meeting you too. We all had a pretty good time didn't we /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CCBer's, this was funny. Kathy met ruk and said <font color="blue">"what's your name?" </font color>

<font color="red">"rukiddingme" </font color>

<font color="blue">No I'm not kidding, what's your name?"</font color>

<font color="red">"I told you, rukiddingme" </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-15-2004, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
CCBer's, this was funny. Kathy met ruk and said <font color="blue">"what's your name?" </font color>

<font color="red">"rukiddingme" </font color>

<font color="blue">No I'm not kidding, what's your name?"</font color>

<font color="red">"I told you, rukiddingme" </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Bahahahahahaha!!!! Who's on first?! Bahahahahha!

SPetty
06-15-2004, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Bahahahahahaha!!!! Who's on first?! Bahahahahha! <hr /></blockquote>I played that game with Spiderman while waiting for Eric. in Vegas last year. Funny!

SRpool
06-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Wally and rukiddingme,

I had a great time with you guys this week in Peoria. I thank you for your support. ruk, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I saw you sitting across the room during the finals but I got swept away to talk to someone. My apologies. Hopefully I will see you at one of the pool halls soon.

Wally, you and Cathy are two awesome people. I wish you guys could come to every tournament. Watch out, Cathy is going to be kicking your butt soon!

Carol, the cues are awesome. We are all in trouble by September when you are completely used to them. I do not look forward to a rematch!

Take care,
Sarah

CarolNYC
06-17-2004, 01:12 PM
HEY RU,
It was very nice meeting you-tell your friend I said "hi" and good luck with her tournaments!:):):)
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Sarah-I can only do my best!
Take care!
Carol

CarolNYC
06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a Breen Beret, maybe that's why you like me <hr /></blockquote>

Nope, i didnt like you cause of "who you were" but because of "who you are!":):):):):)
Carol

rukiddingme
06-18-2004, 05:53 AM
I'll see Pat next week and make sure I give her your regards. She runs the all womens league at Chris's Billiards. This league has been going on for 35+ years though in the summer they merge with the guys league and play co-ed.
It is a wonderful set up. They play 5 weeks 8-ball 5 weeks 9 ball and 5 weeks straight pool per session. Two of the Women that play are in their 80's and one is akin to an APA 5, the other an APA 4. The one that is a 5 won the national collegiate 9 ball championship when she was attending college in her 60's. It is so nice to meet women who love this sport and have participated in it during the dark ages when it was not a popular thing for women to do.
Although it is now less dark, the age of enlightenment has not yet totally dawned...
ruk

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> ....Wally, you and Cathy are two awesome people. I wish you guys could come to every tournament....<hr /></blockquote>

Yeh, I wish we could too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If we don't get to another tourney this year we will definitely be back to Peoria next year.

Sarah, I don't want to embarass you but you are pretty awesome yourself. You are a great representative for the WPBA and pool in general.