PDA

View Full Version : Hurry-Hurry

Rod
06-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Be the owner of this fine cue, TAD (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1292&item=36826955 77&rd=1)

The shaft wood looks like it come from a bad cut of one of my trees. This guy is dreaming or just trying to con people.

Popcorn
06-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Did you look at the rest of his auctions?

Rod
06-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Nope, never cared after I seen that cue and hype.

Malice
06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
If he faked this, he'll be outed in a hurry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=3682689 758

highsea
06-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Definitely a lot of hype in the listing, but his feedback looks okay.

His website is omegabilliards.com, in Fort Worth, TX. A whois search lists a xxxx.xxxx, with a different Fort Worth address.

The servers are in Connecticut. Registrar is TUCOWS, record began 7/93.

They claim to be a distributor, and their website lists 5 or 6 lines of production cues, and a few cheapy accessories. No custom cues, and the website is pretty basic.

-CM

Popcorn
06-13-2004, 10:44 PM
What is the reason to post someone's name and information on this board without their permission? Although researchable it is even against the rules of a Whois query to do so.
-----------------------

The Data in the Tucows Registrar WHOIS database is provided to you by Tucows
for information purposes only, and may be used to assist you in obtaining
information about or related to a domain name's registration record.

Tucows makes this information available "as is," and does not guarantee its
accuracy.

By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this data only for
lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to:
a) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail,
telephone, or facsimile of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing
customers; or (b) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that
send queries or data to the systems of any Registry Operator or
ICANN-Accredited registrar, except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations.

The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Tucows.

highsea
06-14-2004, 12:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> What is the reason to post someone's name and information on this board without their permission? Although researchable it is even against the rules of a Whois query to do so.
<hr /></blockquote>

I have removed the name to satisfy you, Popcorn, though I see no violation of the whois query rules, as it was not queried or posted for commercial or spamming purposes. That is to say that I repeated the whois query here for information purposes only.

As a matter of fact, I read the rules before I made my post. As a Registrant, he knows that his name and address information is available to anyone who wants to look. It is by no means secret.

As a businessman doing business on the Internet, he cannot expect to maintain anonymity. Why did he post his website on his ebay listing? Why shouldn't someone investigate a little before spending their money? The guy lists $20,000+ in high-end cues all at once, and his website shows some chinese copies of Southwests, some cheapo cases, and some production cues that are probably drop-shipped from the manufacturer when he gets an order.

If he is legit, why would he object to his name being associated with his business?

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 01:28 AM
I think it's unfair to make a post like this, full of innuendo, he hasn't done anything. Maybe he is selling the cues on consignment, who knows.

highsea
06-14-2004, 02:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I think it's unfair to make a post like this, full of innuendo, he hasn't done anything. Maybe he is selling the cues on consignment, who knows.<hr /></blockquote>
Well, whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. I made no accusations, and did not post anything that is not easy to verify.

A little closer look will show that this seller also operates under at least 3 other ebay names selling the same products. He has received at least 4 complaints for non-shipment of cues he was selling on one of those other aliases.

It doesn't matter. I've seen a lot of flaky stuff on ebay, but what strikes me as odd may seem perfectly normal to the next guy. I don't intend to waste any more time on this one.

-CM

dooziexx
06-14-2004, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Be the owner of this fine cue, TAD (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=1292&amp;item=36826955 77&amp;rd=1)

The shaft wood looks like it come from a bad cut of one of my trees. This guy is dreaming or just trying to con people. <hr /></blockquote>

I think he is legit. He might be a dealer for J&amp;J cues which sells both the GINA and TAD cues. You can view the Zebra wood cue here:
http://www.jjcue.com/tadstd.htm
and the gina:
http://www.jjcue.com/ginacues.htm

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 10:04 AM
You may be right, he may be putting them on ebay for them based on a commission, people do this all the time. I do ebay a little and people ask me all the time if I can sell something for them because they think there is nothing to it. I always say NO. I only did it one time for a guy with a high end Joss West.. I ended up answering over 100 emails and had to do all the pictures write the ad an so on. The final sale was done between the owner and the buyer directly, I was just doing the listing for him. It was three months before I even got back my listing fee and nothing extra from the guy. With emails and all I bet I spent 15 or 20 hours on the sale of that cue. Never again.

tateuts
06-14-2004, 10:19 AM
I've seen this seller around for awhile and I'm almost certain they are legit, although I have not dealt with them.

As far as the value goes, I've seen similar plain Tad's used selling for $1200 - $1500 with two shafts. This may sound ridiculous but that's about the going rate. It would not surprise me for a new, unplayed plain Tad with two shafts to get $1700. However, $2100 is a stretch.

It is not unusual to pick up a foreign buyer, particularly in Japan or Germany, who will acutally pay these sums for a Tad. Perhaps they are looking for that special buyer.

Chris

tateuts
06-14-2004, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I do ebay a little and people ask me all the time if I can sell something for them because they think there is nothing to it. I always say NO. I only did it one time for a guy with a high end Joss West.. I ended up answering over 100 emails and had to do all the pictures write the ad an so on....

With emails and all I bet I spent 15 or 20 hours on the sale of that cue. Never again. <hr /></blockquote>

Besides the work, it's a big risk. I've sold cues for others and fortunately it's always worked out, but all it takes is one payment fraud and all of a sudden that "favor" is going to cost someone big bucks.

I was selling cues for one person on a commission basis as a little side hobby. It was fun at first then it became a job. One of the cues I sold for an owner had a lot of small defects that I didn't see (it had been packed already when I picked it up). The buyer received it and didn't want it. I accepted the cue back and issued a full refund including shipping. I felt terrible about sending a defective cue to someone. When the owner I was selling for heard this he gave me a hard time about issuing a refund. Not only did he promptly get his cue back, that was the last time I sold anything for the guy.

Chris

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Just from my experience, this guy will need a secretary just to handle all the email with that many high end cues on at one time. The Joss I sold, one guy emailed me he wanted me to mike the shafts every inch for the first 15 inches and send him the info, this cue had 6 shafts. I did it for him. It is a lot of money and you have to answer even the dumbest questions and be polite

dooziexx
06-14-2004, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> I've seen this seller around for awhile and I'm almost certain they are legit, although I have not dealt with them.

As far as the value goes, I've seen similar plain Tad's used selling for $1200 - $1500 with two shafts. This may sound ridiculous but that's about the going rate. It would not surprise me for a new, unplayed plain Tad with two shafts to get $1700. However, $2100 is a stretch.

It is not unusual to pick up a foreign buyer, particularly in Japan or Germany, who will acutally pay these sums for a Tad. Perhaps they are looking for that special buyer.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

I dont think $2100 for a brand new plain TAD cue is a stretch. Ive seen his 4point with veneers and a hoppe style butt sold brand new for $2900. If you go the used route, then you can get them for alot cheaper.

tateuts
06-14-2004, 03:34 PM
When you think of it, it's kind of mind boggling that a plain cue from a living maker would go so high, isn't it?

Chris

SpiderMan
06-14-2004, 03:41 PM
No kidding, the lower shaft has the grain near the ferrule running about 20 degrees off-line, and the upper one isn't much better.

Amazing that a known cuemaker would use such shoddy materials. And amazing that no one else who replied thought it mattered. No way would I buy junk wood like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan

Rod
06-14-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And amazing that no one who already replied to your thread even seemed to notice <hr /></blockquote>

I thought that odd myself. Even the upper shaft is not straight grain and coarse. I guess people will buy anything. Plain Jane, junk shafts, not for me, I don't care who made it. 2100 is a real stout price which makes me wonder how much he paid. I'd still pass at a grand. LOL

Tell you what though, if the pool nuts pay those prices for that cue, they got more money than sense. Not the case here as yet but sometimes ebay buyers go nuts. I've seen them pay ridiculous prices for the so called collectable.

Rod

SpiderMan
06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Multiple aliases on Ebay are a turn-off for me as a buyer. Maybe he has four for legitimate reasons, but on the other hand you wonder if one or more might be "disposable" aliases for doing the deals more likely to draw complaints.

Confessing - when I moved to Texas years ago, I thought about keeping my Tennessee driver's license in case I needed to back up to a "cleaner" past. Back then, Texas didn't collect your out-of-state license, nor did they inform Tennessee that you had a Texas license. I actually renewed my Tennessee license at my parent's address for about ten years, then got lax and let it go to keep only the Texas ID.

SpiderMan

tateuts
06-14-2004, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Multiple aliases on Ebay are a turn-off for me as a buyer. Maybe he has four for legitimate reasons, but on the other hand you wonder if one or more might be "disposable" aliases for doing the deals more likely to draw complaints.

<hr /></blockquote>Where did you find the multiple ID's? I never knew you could look that up.

Chris

Chris Cass
06-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi Dooz,

That S.W. #W-2 is so close to mine in design it isn't funny. My diamond in the windows are solid and my spears inside the points of the forearm are are Gamboon Ebony instead of the other wood they have in there. The cue went for $5500. if I recall right and was a 97 or something? I know the cue wasn't made by Jerry like mine was but I bet it hits every bit as well.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Spidey,

I thought that if the grain is running off line a bit was because of the way it was turned down? I thought that was a mistake some new cuemakers make when cutting the shafts? Hummmm?

Regards,

C.C.~~wish I had Spiderman living near me. I'd be there with my shafts weekly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
06-14-2004, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> A little closer look will show that this seller also operates under at least 3 other ebay names selling the same products. <hr /></blockquote>Howdy highsea,

How do you find out this information? I've not seen something on eBay sellers to show what other names they might have. How did you figure this out?

Thanks.

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
I found two other names that seem to be the same guy. You can tell they have the same shipping instructions it is the same area, even an interesting same miss spelling. The same picture host also. I have four I.D.'s myself though. One for billiard stuff, one for junk, my wife has her own and one we set up for the church. So it may not mean much.

dooziexx
06-15-2004, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Dooz,

That S.W. #W-2 is so close to mine in design it isn't funny. My diamond in the windows are solid and my spears inside the points of the forearm are are Gamboon Ebony instead of the other wood they have in there. The cue went for $5500. if I recall right and was a 97 or something? I know the cue wasn't made by Jerry like mine was but I bet it hits every bit as well.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey CC,
You still have that SW? Send me some pics if you can to dooziexx@yahoo.com.
Thanks!

cycopath
06-15-2004, 09:40 AM
http://cyco.xsintrk.net/pics/cue/jacobylsd.jpg

Whoever deisgned this Jacoby cue was obviously on LSD at the time.

woody_968
06-15-2004, 11:35 AM
WOW, um, that cue doesnt exactly fit my taste, but then again I guess cues would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

highsea
06-15-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>Whoever deisgned this Jacoby cue was obviously on LSD at the time.<hr /></blockquote>
HAHAHAHAHA The "Psychodelic Sperm" cue! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

highsea
06-15-2004, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Spidey,

I thought that if the grain is running off line a bit was because of the way it was turned down? I thought that was a mistake some new cuemakers make when cutting the shafts? Hummmm?

Regards,

C.C.~~wish I had Spiderman living near me. I'd be there with my shafts weekly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think this is the best advice I've ever heard on shafts (From Pat Sheehan).
Quote:

Vanity will control the amount of money you spend on the butt of the cue but the shaft will tell you who is really doing a job to make things right, the shorter the ferrell, the least falderal on the joint the better. The shaft is the thing that takes the greatest care. Manufacturers will go through a lot of Rock Maple to get a good one. Look at the heart line (the series of little "O's" on the side). The smaller the "O's" the stronger the shaft. See that it is perfectly straight; any curve in this, the shaft will bend to match. The side grain should be as tight as possible, but all the strength is in the heart line. The shaft always reacts differently in each degree of rotation in your hand.

http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Sheehan1.htm#March2003

Chris Cass
06-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Yep,

Don't have pics that are really super close like Miko posted and wouldn't know how to send them. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Wow, thanks Highseas,

I have them O's and that's the very thing I was talking about.

Regards,

C.C.~~the Boti and the S.W. are really awesome shafts. They're almost perfect.