PDA

View Full Version : Archers shot routine

Zynix
06-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Watching the Mosconi Cup here and this is actually the first time i've seen Archer shoot. Is it just me or is his shot routine kinda annoying? He makes a shot then plays with both chalks on the table, chalks, messes with the chalk some more, goes to his chair off camera, moves the chalk again all while walking around the table. I'd hate to be playing him, it's bad enough just watching him on tv.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> ...... Is it just me.....<hr /></blockquote>

no

don't forget the picking of the "invivsible lint" off the table.

Zynix
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah I just saw that

Rich R.
06-14-2004, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> don't forget the picking of the "invivsible lint" off the table. <hr /></blockquote>
Also, don't forget moving balls from pockets that he is not shooting at and getting down and back up on shots, about 10 times, before actually shooting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob_Jewett
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> Watching the Mosconi Cup here and this is actually the first time i've seen Archer shoot. Is it just me or is his shot routine kinda annoying? ... <hr /></blockquote>
I was there in person, and it was immensely annoying. I had seen him shoot before, and don't recall any of that, especially moving balls among pockets that have nothing to do with the shot. It's like he's afraid to shoot.

Jeremy Jones also takes a while to shoot because of all the hand wiping, but that at least has some reason to it, and I don't find it annoying.

By far the easiest player to watch was Rodney Morris -- see the shot, shoot the shot, make the shot, be happy.

Zynix
06-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Did you make it on camera? Whatcha look like?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> Did you make it on camera? Whatcha look like? <hr /></blockquote>

Bob writes a column for Billiards Digest. His pic is in there every month.

Zynix
06-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Shows what I know /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I unfortuantly don't subscribe and can't find them anywhere to buy. Just saw an advertisement on ESPN. So sorry I didnt know ya /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

daviddjmp
06-14-2004, 02:56 PM
I have the Derby City Ring Game on DVD which he wins, but it does get very painful as the match continues. As players are eliminated, he plays slower and slower, getting up and resetting for a shot 4 or 5 times, fiddling with powder and chalk on every shot, and don't forget picking up the invisible lint :-)

Fred Agnir
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> Watching the Mosconi Cup here and this is actually the first time i've seen Archer shoot. Is it just me or is his shot routine kinda annoying? <hr /></blockquote>He's gotten better since that show.

Fred

Bob_Jewett
06-14-2004, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>His pic is in there every month. <hr /></blockquote>
It's a nice picture taken shortly after my high school graduation. An older and wiser Bob is shown on the old BD "Meet the Writers" page, which has disappeared. Fortunately, the amazing site archive.org has a copy along with a copy of nearly every other page that's ever been on the web. See Bob's pic (http://web.archive.org/web/20000824161746/www.billiardsdigest.com/writers/jewett)

Barbara
06-14-2004, 04:17 PM
That's why you look like a pup!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, you still do, but the hair's a bit different. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara

Chris Cass
06-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi Zynix,

In Archers defense I have to say he was really happy for the win and genuinly hugged JJ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I never thought he'd be a team player kind of guy? I was wrong.

Regards,

C.C.

DialUp
06-14-2004, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> Watching the Mosconi Cup here and this is actually the first time i've seen Archer shoot. Is it just me or is his shot routine kinda annoying? He makes a shot then plays with both chalks on the table, chalks, messes with the chalk some more, goes to his chair off camera, moves the chalk again all while walking around the table. I'd hate to be playing him, it's bad enough just watching him on tv. <hr /></blockquote>

How funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just got through watching that today and it drove me crazy watching all the same stuff you guys mentioned. Especially the table grooming /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frank_Glenn
06-14-2004, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>His pic is in there every month. <hr /></blockquote>
It's a nice picture taken shortly after my high school graduation. An older and wiser Bob is shown on the old BD "Meet the Writers" page, which has disappeared. Fortunately, the amazing site archive.org has a copy along with a copy of nearly every other page that's ever been on the web. See Bob's pic (http://web.archive.org/web/20000824161746/www.billiardsdigest.com/writers/jewett) <hr /></blockquote>

Well, when I met you at Valley Forge a couple of years ago all I had seen was the picture in the magazine. I recognized you instantly when I saw you. I, however, have gained about 130# since high school, so you would probably not recognize me from my highschool pix. I'll post one on my site.
Frank
www.frankglenn.com (http://www.frankglenn.com)

phil in sofla
06-14-2004, 05:40 PM
It's actually worse than you saw at the Mosconi Cup, frequently.

At last year's US Open, playing Niels Feigen, I think it was, he was facing a push out Niels had made, took about 5 minutes to decide whether to take it, and another five to ten to shoot it!!??!! Midway in his deliberations, he took time out to CLEAN THE BALLS of offensive chalk marks.

While I don't know this as a fact, others have said he used to have a very quick, efficient playing style. Not anymore! Quite the opposite.

Frank_Glenn
06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> Well, when I met you at Valley Forge a couple of years ago all I had seen was the picture in the magazine. I recognized you instantly when I saw you. I, however, have gained about 130# since high school, so you would probably not recognize me from my highschool pix. I'll post one on my site.
<hr /></blockquote>

OK, I couldn't locate a high school picture quickly (we are in the process of selling the house, so stuff is packing up) but I did find one from about 1966. I had already gained some weight (I gained 15# in boot camp!) but I still think you would have trouble Identifying me from the picture. It's on my home page (in my sig line).

Nostroke
06-14-2004, 10:04 PM
What was Earls dance about after he won match on day 2 i think? It looked like he might have been mocking someone. Anyone know the story?

DMoney1644
06-14-2004, 10:24 PM
i've never seen archer play, but does anyone think maybe he takes so long in the hopes that his opponent will get cold and not perform well in their next inning?

Popcorn
06-14-2004, 11:09 PM
I hate to say it, but I think there is actually something wrong with that guy. When he is interviewed he sounds like he is brain damaged or something. He can't even complete a sentence, and when he does it makes no sense.

Rich R.
06-15-2004, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> While I don't know this as a fact, others have said he used to have a very quick, efficient playing style. Not anymore! Quite the opposite. <hr /></blockquote>
Phil, he still can play quickly when he has to. Archer had no problem playing with a 30 second shot clock at the ESPN Sudden Death 7-Ball event. He ended up winning.

It seems he is just very slow when there is no shot clock. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
06-15-2004, 06:23 AM
Hi Rich,

Archer does have a quick pace or rthym. The lint picking is something many shooters notice when deep in focus. His focus picked up on the lint and removed it. It's like shooting towards a piece of chalk. One will hit that place without realizing it was a thought. That's why many move the chalk if it's near the shot on the rail. It's like while driving. When, you keep your eye on someone walking the curb. You can easily steer right at them, subconsciencly.(SP)

I think the only reason most of them except Earl, slowed down was because, in a team effort one thinks of the team. I know I would feel like crap if I was the one who dropped the ball, regardless of the real fact. That being, a team event is just that and noone should ever be held responsible for losing the match personally. However, we all know we'd feel like it was are fault if it were us.

Some people like Earl, and especially the Europian coach, can't remember his name? That have a rythm that's quick. It settles the nerves and keeps the flow or dance as #### would put it, to get in their particle zone.

I like Archer' game tons. The only thing that kills me when he plays is the whining. Man, he can cry like a stuck pig. I still think he's one of the strongest players that ever grace'd the cloth. strickly, my .02 of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My others are Mike Segal, Efren, Ralph Soquet, Earl, George Micheals and a few others.

Regards,

C.C.~~can't wait to hook up with Rich and Cath. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> He's gotten better since that show.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

He supposedly had gotten better after the 7-ball thing last year. With the shot clock he found out he could actually play faster and still win. Besides his wife got on him because she was pregnant and did not want to sit thru interminable matches.

Maybe the pressure of the MC slowed him down.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> What was Earls dance about after he won match on day 2 i think? It looked like he might have been mocking someone. Anyone know the story? <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe the "Church Lady" dance is the only dance he knows /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I hate to say it, but I think there is actually something wrong with that guy. When he is interviewed he sounds like he is brain damaged or something. He can't even complete a sentence, and when he does it makes no sense. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, I just think it's the fact that his schooling has been in a pool room rather than a classroom.

In an interview a few years ago they asked him "What's your favorite book". He said "I don't think I've ever read a whole book".

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> i've never seen archer play, but does anyone think maybe he takes so long in the hopes that his opponent will get cold and not perform well in their next inning? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think so. It's just his annoying habits.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Whatever the case, JA's wedding did produce one of the coolest pool pics I have seen /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/archerwedding/p8040010.jpg

1a2b3c
06-19-2004, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>His pic is in there every month. <hr /></blockquote>
It's a nice picture taken shortly after my high school graduation. An older and wiser Bob is shown on the old BD "Meet the Writers" page, which has disappeared. Fortunately, the amazing site archive.org has a copy along with a copy of nearly every other page that's ever been on the web. See Bob's pic (http://web.archive.org/web/20000824161746/www.billiardsdigest.com/writers/jewett) <hr /></blockquote>

I see youre a snooker player also. You just dont find many of them around especially younger ones like me. I own an early brunswick snooker table, 1900-1910, somewhere in there. I love to play snooker, but i just cant see 10 foot down the table to make the long balls. My cloth is really slow on my table. I was thinking of getting a faster moving felt, would you have any opinions on what i should get?

shark
06-19-2004, 12:42 PM
The thing that annoys me most is when he has ball in hand and he sets it on the table like he's replacing a golf ball on a green, I hear he plays a lot of golf but lets separate the two, golf is too boring.

tateuts
06-19-2004, 01:17 PM
For you non-smokers, how he looks at the table is like how I felt when I was quitting smoking - times 100.

Chris

By the way, I have a lot of old Archer tapes and he was nowhere near as jumpy. I saw him in January at the Bicycle Club in Los Angeles and he was super nervous like that too.

catscradle
06-21-2004, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr>
By far the easiest player to watch was Rodney Morris -- see the shot, shoot the shot, make the shot, be happy. <hr /></blockquote>
What about Luc Salvas? Not as good as Rodney, but very entertaining.

catscradle
06-21-2004, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I have the Derby City Ring Game on DVD which he wins, but it does get very painful as the match continues. As players are eliminated, he plays slower and slower, getting up and resetting for a shot 4 or 5 times, fiddling with powder and chalk on every shot, and don't forget picking up the invisible lint :-) <hr /></blockquote>

I am almost finished watching that DVD, and I thought he picked the pace up as he went along. I still haven't seen the very end, maybe he slows to Archer speed then.

catscradle
06-21-2004, 06:26 AM

What a harmless, amiable looking guy. The perfect face for a hustler. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveEllis
06-21-2004, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>His pic is in there every month. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, when I met you at Valley Forge a couple of years ago all I had seen was the picture in the magazine. I recognized you instantly when I saw you. I, however, have gained about 130# since high school, so you would probably not recognize me from my highschool pix. I'll post one on my site.
Frank
www.frankglenn.com (http://www.frankglenn.com) <hr /></blockquote>

Frank I would never have recognized you from that pic. You were one nasty lookin' dude. I graduated in '64 and that was about the time there was a transition from the tough guy look of the 50's and the pre-hippy college look. In my town people fell into 2 categories "rats" or "colliege". I was a "rat" and I dare say from that picture you were too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SteveEllis
06-21-2004, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> For you non-smokers, how he looks at the table is like how I felt when I was quitting smoking - times 100.

Chris

By the way, I have a lot of old Archer tapes and he was nowhere near as jumpy. I saw him in January at the Bicycle Club in Los Angeles and he was super nervous like that too. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe the burden of supporting a family is making him more cautious. A win is more important now.

Frank_Glenn
06-21-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frank I would never have recognized you from that pic. You were one nasty lookin' dude. I graduated in '64 and that was about the time there was a transition from the tough guy look of the 50's and the pre-hippy college look. In my town people fell into 2 categories "rats" or "colliege". I was a "rat" and I dare say from that picture you were too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes I was into the "Greaser" look. I was on the "list" in high school, you know, the list of names that when something happened, they made the announcement "The following students report to the Principal's office". /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris Cass
06-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Frank,

I was a greaser too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif HAHAHAHAHA I used to wear baggys and black dress socks. Pants rolled up of course, a Dago T and pointed Italian shoes. Cigarette in my ear and could flip my Zippo lighter open off my leg. I was so cool. HAHAHAHA BTW, for those who don't know what baggies are, they're the old work pants that came in grey or blue. HAHAHAHAHA What a good time back then. Oh, had a steal come. LOL

Now, I don't know what I am. I wear pool T's and jeans, tennis shoes perferabley white and gold chain without medal. Cell, on my side and always wear a hate, a Szamboti hat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for thre memories.

Regards,

C.C.~~used score in my hair and kept it standing really shiney. hahahahaha

daviddjmp
06-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Yeah, when it is down to the last player and himself, it gets pretty tedious-

dooziexx
06-22-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Zynix:</font><hr> Watching the Mosconi Cup here and this is actually the first time i've seen Archer shoot. Is it just me or is his shot routine kinda annoying? He makes a shot then plays with both chalks on the table, chalks, messes with the chalk some more, goes to his chair off camera, moves the chalk again all while walking around the table. I'd hate to be playing him, it's bad enough just watching him on tv. <hr /></blockquote>

The guy is slower than molasses... Would hate to watch a match between Archer and Souquet...