PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Arkansas/Oklahoma Players: Tournament

Cane
06-14-2004, 10:57 PM
For any of you that are close enough to Fort Smith Arkansas to make the trip, there is a $500 added tournament at Shooters at 2201 Grand Avenue in Fort Smith Arkansas on June 18th and 19th.

Here are the specifics.

You can sign up until 5pm on June 18th (Friday).
Entry fee is $30
$500 added for 32 plus players (16 are already in).
The Calcutta starts at 5PM
Play on Friday is from 6pm to 1am
Play on Saturday is from 3pm until it's over.
Rated 2-7 race to your rating.
BCA rules, Modified. 8 on the break is a win.
Played on Valley Bar Boxes, Alternate Break, alternate pay

If you want more information, you can call Shooters at 1-479-783-9413

There was an early bird entry fee, but I didn't join this board until after the early bird date... sorry... those of you that wanted in early can stone me behind the bar, if you can catch me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope to see some of you there. I will be playing, even though I HATE rated tournaments. Gotta play, though... these guys come to my tournaments, so I've gotta play in theirs.

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/academy.htm)

Sid_Vicious
06-14-2004, 11:04 PM
If I'd had an extra week's notice I would have considered making a short road trip with a friend and we'd both play. Well I might not have personally played since it is 8-ball, but the trip would have been interesting. Time's too short now...sid

Cane
06-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Sid,
Sorry I didn't post it earlier, but to be perfectly honest about it, when I was at league tonight, I mentioned something about taking a trip to Tulsa this coming weekend to the Palace and one of my team members, said "Bob, Aren't you playing in the Ft. Smith City Championship?" I was like "hmmmm... forgot all about that". Hazards of life being more than halfway over and brain cells not as plentiful as they used to be.

I'll probably have a guaranteed $1000 to the winner tourney in late July, early August here in Poteau. I'll post in plenty of time for that, but no bar boxes and no carrying tons of quarters around. It will be played on 8'ers in the pool room. ...and it won't be 8 ball or rated. Heads up race to 7 both sides 9 ball. Thinking about having a One Pocket tourney on the two days prior to the 9 ball event. I'll definitely post it here so those that are close enough and want to play can have plenty of time to make plans.

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/academy.htm)

JohnBarton
06-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks Bob! Just goes to show the high level of communication in pool - I had not heard of the Fort Smith (one hour away) tournament until now.

John

Sid_Vicious
06-15-2004, 07:40 AM
cane...what ruleset will be used in the Poteau tournament? Do you expect James Walden to make that one???sid

Cane
06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Sid,
BCA rules, exception, Cue Ball Fouls only. We'll play on 6 tables, with three "roaming" referees for watching hits, etc. R-7 winners and losers and a single R-11 final.

Don't know if James will make that one or not. It was rumoured he'd be here for the last one, but didn't show up, but with $1000 guaranteed for 1st, you never can tell... he might just pop in for that one.

I'll post more details as we get things closer. Still trying to drum up a couple of sponsors to make the pot even bigger for the players.

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/caneman/academy.htm)

rocky
06-16-2004, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnBarton:</font><hr> Thanks Bob! Just goes to show the high level of communication in pool - I had not heard of the Fort Smith (one hour away) tournament until now.

John <hr /></blockquote>

where is Ft. Smith from us or from you? Do you have any idea how far of a drive that would be for me?

ceebee
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I would doubt that James Walden will show up to play in a RATED 2-7 Tournament, unless of course they let him play as a 5. I might make that TOURNAMENT myself, although I had planned to be at the DFW Shootout.... cb

Rod
06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Right here, Fort Smith (http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=M7tNO.p_0TqT&amp;csz=Fort+smith+Arkansa s&amp;country=us&amp;new=1&amp;name=&amp;qty=) I have been there, years ago though.

Rod

Zynix
06-16-2004, 04:31 PM
How does it work if you've never been rated? I only play little hole in the wall bar tourneys and such.

randyg
06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
James is on the East coast, is he not?

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
"although I had planned to be at the DFW Shootout"

What shootout???sid

Cane
06-18-2004, 02:15 AM
Randy,

Last I saw James he was living in Grove, OK, but that's been awhile. Heard rumors he'd been around Oklahoma City lately... not sure about that, though. You know how rumors go. Heard a good one the other day. Went to a pool tournament last week and someone walked up to me and said "Damn, someone told me you died last week!" Nobody seemed to know how I died, but apparently it was only a temporary death, as I seem to feel pretty good today.

Later,
Bob

Cane
06-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Day one of Tournament is finished. I had the pleasure of meeting John Barton today. Nice guy, sorry but I didn't get a chance to see how he played or I'd snitch on him to you guys!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just kidding John. I'm sure he won't see this until he gets back from the tournament, but he is a fine gentleman.

As for the rest of the tourney... I shot like a dog and just lucked out to get through as far as I am. I took a left turn in the second round against a so-so shooter, but got back on track a little bit and, while I'm on the losers side, I'm feeling better and ready to fire tomorrow. Gonna get some sleep now and get up early and hit my bar for a couple of hours before I go over there and hit a couple of hundred balls on the bar tables. I rarely shoot on 3 1/2 x 7's and this is a little different for me. Seems like it would be easier than the 88's to 100's but damn, those balls get crowded up on those tiny bar boxes! *S*

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Bar boxes clutter fast, so just play the table cloth's speed right and you'll do well...sid

Cane
06-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the advice, Sid... I'm on my way in a few minutes to get in my Mother Drills on the bar boxes and shoot a hundred or so balls. Fortunately, the place I'm playing this afternoon has the same cloth on them that my bar boxes do, and same brand tables... wish I had done this the other day instead of today, but the L side looks pretty easy except for my first match, and I've been sitting here since 7am saying to my self "I am unbeatable! I am a champion!"... hope that subconcious side is listening! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

JohnBarton
06-19-2004, 11:33 AM
I got a slow start and had to tighten up and wait for the out. My first opponent had me 4:1 going to 7 before I came back and won 7:4. Unless you are Matlock and can create outs from everywhere, eight ball on the bar box is a tough game.

Hope I continue to focus today and get some lucky rolls to go with it.

Nice meetin' ya Bob.

John

Cane
06-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Well, a good day and a bad day for me. I lost out, but one of my students took third. This was the first time he had played anything other than a $5 entry fee tournament and he kept his cool and his nerve really well.

Top three were

1st Darryl Cowan of Fort Smith, AR
2nd Mike Jones of Fort Smith, AR
3rd Owen Patterson of "Somewhere on Kerr Lake" Oklahoma

All in all it was a good tournament, although the turnout wasn't quite what was expected. I think we ended up with 27 players... not positive, but I think that's right. 6 places paid out and 3 places on the Calcutta. Total purse, calcutta included was a little over $1400.

NOW, I'll post a new thread about this when I get more information, but Becky, the Boss Lady at Shooters, said she is going to have a $20 entry fee, added money 9-Ball tournament on July 11th. As soon as she gets the details to me, I'll post then on here so those that want to play will have time to make plans.

Best to all,
Bob