PDA

View Full Version : Slate Repair question

DialUp
06-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi everybody

I am considering buying a 9 foot brunswick but the slate has a few chips in it and several scratches in it. These are not minor scratches either. The table was obviously used for something other than playing pool.

So, my question is: What is done by installers to do surface repair on slate? IMO, the slate is ruined and needs replacing which makes the table worthless but the price is right if the playing surface can be saved.

The guy told me they use bees wax for joints and it would work well for the groved scratches.

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Chris Cass
06-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi D,

It depends on where the scratches and chips are and also how deep they are. There's also bondo. A good table machanic can square most of them away and you'll never know the difference.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
06-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Bondo® is excellent and is used extensively for both slate seams and surface problems. One table at our pool room had an "accident" leaving a scar about 1" wide, 12" long & over 1/4" deep. When the table mechanic was finished, there was zero trace of a problem.

Troy

cycopath
06-15-2004, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr>One table at our pool room had an "accident" leaving a scar about 1" wide, 12" long &amp; over 1/4" deep. <hr /></blockquote>

That's one hell of an accident. How'd that happen?

DialUp
06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
I was thinking of bondo too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys

Troy
06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr>One table at our pool room had an "accident" leaving a scar about 1" wide, 12" long &amp; over 1/4" deep. <hr /></blockquote>

That's one hell of an accident. How'd that happen? <hr /></blockquote>
Alcohol induced stupidity caused a customer to lift and toss a heavy stand holding one of those "cord" type room separators. Since we had his credit card as a deposit for a tab, it wan't too difficult to "convince" him to pay for the damage. He did not argue over the $100 we charged him. I guess he realized it could have been much worse on him if the law became involved.

Troy