PDA

View Full Version : League etiquette

stockman4180
06-15-2004, 08:01 AM
I know most leagues and tournaments have rules on governing your actions like no fighting, etc. but very few deal with the subject of etiquette. By that I mean doing the little things to promote the sport and respect your opponent. I find that as a winner of the game you should get the balls out to be racked. You should always place the chalk open side up, shake hands before and after the match. Does anyone else have ideas on what should be taught to the new players and young folks coming up in the ranks? Do you know if etiquette is included in your league manuals?

pooltchr
06-15-2004, 08:14 AM
One that bothers me is when a player misses a shot, then walks down to look and see if he left his opponent a good shot or hooked him. When you miss, sit down and give the table to the shooter.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 08:29 AM
they should be taught to hand the CB to their opponent when they foul.

ChrisW
06-15-2004, 08:47 AM
For their teamates to cheer when their player does well,
not when the opponent makes a mistake.

ChrisW
06-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Not to jump up EVERYTIME the cue ball is within 6" of anything to check for things like close hits or double hits.

ChrisW
06-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Shake hands before all the high fives.

RedHell
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
- Wait for the racker to finnish racking before you start checking the rack.

- If you're not sure what your opponent is playing, ask before he's down on the shot.

- Never stand in front of a shot

- Watch the game and get out the way when the next shot calls for standing in the area your in.

- When you're at the table, look behind when walking backward, there might be someone behind you bent down already playing a shot.

catscradle
06-15-2004, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stockman4180:</font><hr> ... You should always place the chalk open side up, ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I think it is better on it's side, Ewa Lawrence said this in her book and I agree with her. That way it doesn't get on the rail and it doesn't get on somebody's clothing if they lean on it or sit on it getting in position for a shot.

cycopath
06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Please refrain from the following:

-leaning on the rail of the table while your opponent is shooting.

-yelling batter, batter, batter... SWING, during your opponent's preshot routine.

-having your girlfriend show off her new "store bought" boobs to everyone in the room.

-explaining to your opponent why he/she is going to miss the shot they are about to take.

-hugging your opponent in a drunken stupor while proclaiming your love for them.

and finally,

Please refrain from allowing your wonder dog to coach you on every shot.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-15-2004, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisW:</font><hr> Shake hands before all the high fives. <hr /></blockquote>

or put your quarters up before celebrating your game win

woody_968
06-15-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Please refrain from the following:

-having your girlfriend show off her new "store bought" boobs to everyone in the room.

<hr /></blockquote>

I actually kind of like this one /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Candyman
06-15-2004, 12:41 PM

This is a weapon in our arsenal that we use quite frequently. I will try to get some pics tonight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
How considerate, got to love a girl that shares. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Your ok to candyman. lol

Malice
06-15-2004, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> they should be taught to hand the CB to their opponent when they foul. <hr /></blockquote>

I have to disagree with that, even though I personally do it often. I don't think it adds much in terms of politeness, but it can be a bad habit in case a player touches the CB thinking he committed a foul when he actually hasn't.

Popcorn
06-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I just read all the posts so far and don't see one thing that should need to be taught, they are all common sense. The problem is, we live in a culture that teaches lack of respect for anyone and everyone as acceptable. The commercial where the wife asks "where is the Hot Pockets" she likes so much and the husband shoving it into his mouth and lying to her about it. Or every episode ever made of " I Love Lucy", they all revolve around lying or conniving for ones own selfishness needs. Lying, cheating, selfishness and disrespect is so accepted, why would people playing pool not reflect the same lack of values. The best you can do is try to do the right thing yourself, even if everyone else are creeps. You will have improved the quality of this world by at least one and it sometimes rubs off.

stockman4180
06-16-2004, 07:09 AM
I couldn't agree more with you although I think it really depends on a number of things like age and where in the country you are playing. In my league I still see men 30-50 that have "old" values when it comes to the game. They respect everyone. When I travel I don't see that respect very much in the NE as compared to the midwest and south. Disrespect is everywhere. But if we can change ourselves we can start to change the world. That's why I would like to see some semblance of dress codes at tournaments, behavior rules ENFORCED and not just written (or not even written). I am trying to change my little world and I hope there are others out there like you that are changing their world. Thanks for your comments.

Chris Cass
06-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Hell Popcorn,

Look at what Clinton did to our White House. Not to bring politics into this or change the thread.

Regards,

C.C.~~some don't know and some plain don't care. No respect for life, what ever happened to the good old fashion fistfight? Now it's driveby.

Popcorn
06-16-2004, 07:44 AM
My answer may have been a little to serious for the subject. You can't really make rules for things like etiquette but you are right it would be nice if players knew what is the more acceptable way of acting when playing. Maybe a pamphlet that could be handed out to the players, with some educational material, maybe a little history of the game along with some suggestions on pool etiquette. When people start doing something, others seem to follow, most people are conformists not looking to cause a problem, and that is usually a good thing in most respects. My other post was a little cynical though, actually I think most pool players are not too bad. I have never been shoved out of the way as someone else tried to shoot at the same time, people usually are aware of walking in front of you when you are shooting and so on. In competition though and especially in the league play, there is the sense of win at all costs, which is a part of our culture and that can not be fun to deal with sometimes when playing a game that is supposed to be fun. Winning or losing are just the byproducts of the playing of the game. The fun and enjoyment of the game as well as the social aspect of the league are what are really important. This is not pro sports with multi million dollar contracts on the line here, although some may wish to fantasize it is. The pumping of the fist and all that stuff I really don't care for

Wally_in_Cincy
06-16-2004, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> .....This is not pro sports with multi million dollar contracts on the line here, although some may wish to fantasize it is. The pumping of the fist and all that stuff I really don't care for <hr /></blockquote>

Barking like dogs can also be rather irritating /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. We have a couple of teams that do that after a win.

Cane
06-16-2004, 12:35 PM
I think I did a bad etiquette thing in League last week. Was playing this guy who shot one of the worst games I've ever seen. I didn't mind that, but when he did get a shot, he'd look at it from what seemed like a thousand different angles for 4 or 5 minutes before he fired and missed at (at a speed radar couldn't measure, I'm sure). During round 2 I got up against him again, and eased out to the car and got a Hot Rod Calendar that a local Auto Parts store had given me. Me and the team captain were sitting there looking at the calendar. I broke and did not make a ball. He looks over his options for at least 5 minutes, then BOOM, fires a straight in shot he'd been contemplating forever and completely missed the pocket. He comes over and asks, "That there a hot rod calender?" I said "Nope, it's your shot clock".

Later,
Rude Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/caneman/academy.htm)

Popcorn
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Today, most people only regard it a lie if you get caught. I have a real problem with liars. It is so common place people think nothing about the consequences. I bought a boat years ago. we checked out the boat everything seemed fine and I made the deal. It was a 25 foot Omega, a pretty nice boat back than. The first time we take it out we pull up to the fuel dock to get some gas. The boat had twin fuel tanks so I fill both. We hadn't left the dock before you could smell fuel. When I lift the deck there is gas in the bilge and it is coming from the tank that had been empty. The guy never told me he had a leaking tank that is why he had no gas in it. He knew the tank had a leak but didn't say anything, I guess because he was afraid I may want to take a little off the price or maybe not buy it at all. I got a ride to the marina to get the other boat and we towed it back. You couldn't start it, it was a floating bomb.

Later on I drained the fuel tank cleaned everything out and I disconnected that tank. It was not a fitting or anything the tank had a leak that looked to have been there for some time. I removed the tank and never bothered replacing it, one was enough and it was pretty centered anyway. The point is, here is a regular guy like may live next-door to you or anyone else on here. Yet he was capable of, for a few thousand dollars, killing maybe a whole family without a thought, as long as he may not be blamed. This is the culture we live in, it happens every day. You mention Clinton, he exemplifies the worst there is in a human being, someone you put your trust in that will stab you in the back. At least with a common criminal you know what you are dealing with. Betraying ones trust represents the worst kind of crime.

sack316
06-16-2004, 06:01 PM
"-hugging your opponent in a drunken stupor while proclaiming your love for them."
I generall have very good etiquette and encourage all my teammates to always do the same. But I think I may have been guilty of this on a time or two!

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2004, 07:49 PM
"Barking like dogs can also be rather irritating . We have a couple of teams that do that after a win."

I see this as a team way of rallying together, not an insult. It's league fun stuff, let it be. The lesser teams have celebrations, and I am as happy for their zeal as possible when they get to do it...sid

raistlin
06-17-2004, 02:52 AM
You want to see etiquette? Check out some of the world snooker tournaments. The players (the vast majority) there have perfect, old school manners when playing the game.

The best part about it is that 9 ballers over here mostly come from the same background, therefore you don't see much bad sportsmanship in the game in the UK.

No jumping on the table after winning a tournament here!

Vagabond
06-17-2004, 04:31 AM
Howdy Chris,
Are u jealous of clinton because he gets more than others?
LOL
Vagabond

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy Chris,
Are u jealous of clinton because he gets more than others?
LOL
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHA Oh Vagabond,

You kill me buddy. Jealous of Clinton? LOL Naa, I think he's sick. The only thing you should dip a cigar in is the ashtray. I don't find Monica that attractive either. I just think he has no respect for what was our only place that we could say has a tradition of being held in the highest esteem.

It's like playing the Open in flip flops.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm really jealous of you. Your everywhere and know just about everyone and what's going on at every moment. Your one of my breastest agents. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Since you mention it, how are you coming with your US Open preparation? Are you working on any practice regimens as the time approaches?

Predator314
06-17-2004, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

I like this one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My personal pet peeve is cell phones and pagers. They drive me up the friggin' wall. I can handle drunks yelling, people walking in my line of site cue balls hitting me in the leg mid stroke, etc. I used to shoot A LOT of pool in bars. This is the atmosphere most of the time. Let a cell phone ring and it's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Popcorn,

I've been working on facial expressions and body language when I miss or lose. Gotta look good you know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok Popcorn,

Just fess up, spill the beans. You put me in this shindig didn't you? I have vays of making you talk. Just tell me and get it over with. I'll make it easy on you.

Regards,

C.C.~~I'll answer your question after you answer mine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ras314
06-17-2004, 05:08 PM
It suprises me that no one has mentioned my pet peeves. Hand chalk and the other chalk. Use a towell every shot, whatever, there is no excuse for hand chalk all over the table and balls.

Chalking up by drilling a hole in it while holding the tip over the table is as bad if not worse. Gets little chips all over besides dirtying up the cloth.

A friend has a nervous habit of tapping the chalk upside down on the rail. Part of a pre shot routine even.

DMoney1644
06-17-2004, 05:35 PM
im still waiting for those pics candyman promised. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
I am very flattered, but it was not me. Although the person wants to be anonymous, I would never want to take credit for their generosity, not even by suspicion. On another note, you know, AMC is running the Rocky movies this week. Da, DaDa, Da, DaDa, Da, Da, Da. Get out there and run up and down those front steps a few times, and in the words of Mickey "Let's knock his block off". You may have a better chance then you think, one match at a time, that's all it takes.

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Popcorn,

Now on to someone else. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have tried to get my practice routine in but it's tough sometimes. When I'm working the counter and not too busy I'll hit some on a Diamond 7 ft. It's the one that's closest to the counter and the only one I'm basically allowed to play on.

I can't get to the 9 ft too often but on the times I do. I have done my routine. My routine is simple. I shoot a min of 100- 200 straight-in shots. Working on my stroke. Keeping it smooth and crisp. Set-up like this. I'll move the cb and the ob a bit so, I don't burn a hole or a path in the cloth.

START(
%AN9W5%Fh0[0%Jh1Y8%Ki4[0%Lf5[1%Mj9Z9%Ni3Y9%Oj8Y8%Pg6O2%WD3[1
%Xf5O6%eB4b1
)END
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Next, I work on my angle cuts into the blind. This helps all the side shot cuts and basically anything in the blind. I do this on each side of the table. 10 total and move the cb with the same angle. The only thing that changes is the relationship to the rail. I use low right. Low left on the other side of the table.

START(
%Ag7D0%Bg8E5%Cg8G0%Dg8H4%Eg8I8%Fg9K2%Gg9L7%Hg9N2%I g9O7%Jg9Q3
%Pm3E8%Ui7F1%Vm2G7%Wi6D4%Xl5E5%Yi8J5%Zm3L2%[i9I1%\m2J7%]i7G6
%^m2I3%eC1b0
)END

Next, I do 6 cross side banks on each side of the table. First like this then frozen cross over banks. I also move the cb straight as possible with these and use low right. On the other side I'll use low left. This way makes everything else seem easy to me. When I do these I'm good for a week without missing much if any cross sides.

START(
%A]7D9%B_5E0%Ca2D9%Db9D9%Ed5D9%Ff0D9%P^3K6%Ue2G1%Vf5K 5%W_8G2
%X`6K7%Ya6G1%Zb5K6%]c5G2%^d5K6%eC0b1
)END

The frozen cross overs are set-up like this.

START(
%A]7C9%B_3C9%C`9C9%Db5C9%Ed1C9%Fe9D0%Pb2F2%Uc9E0%Vh9E 9%W^9E2
%Xa4E9%Y`3E2%Zd0F1%]b3E1%^f6F1%eC1a9
)END

Due to how close these balls are on occasion I'll have to move one back a bit but the shot remains of course, in the blind.

After the drills I'll treat myself to play the ghost a set or if I'm lucky anyone willing. I also listen to some hypnosis tapes. I'll post one for everyone to read. This particular tape makes me have a burning desire to hit balls. The hypnotist is one I've personally met and did some shows on the boat for us employees.

When I went up on stage everyone was doing this crazy stuff he told them to do, except me. I was very sceptical and didn't believe in it. Then, he said my shoes were weighing 100lbs each. I'll be dammed, I couldn't budge them. The tape sells for $15.00.

Popcorn, as long as I've known you. You've always shared your knowledge and opinions, without question. You've always been extremely serious about everything. This is the first time in all that time I've ever seen you use any levity in your reply. That made my day. Not because you did but because it was with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm making my first ball at the Open, for you.

Regards,

C.C.~~a Popcorn fan..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, I'm physically nowhere near 100% and it's tough and I get really sore but I fight it as much as I can. hopefully, I'll be stronger by the Open. Sleep seems to be an important way of gaining my strength. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
CC,

PM me about that hypnosis tape. I need a little motivation to go practice nowadays.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> CC,

PM me about that hypnosis tape. I need a little motivation to go practice nowadays.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

you need an impending family reunion to motivate you

[ QUOTE ]
"kick his ass Auntie Barbara" <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Yes, that will be in August!

Barbara

cycopath
06-18-2004, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>The hypnotist is one I've personally met and did some shows on the boat for us employees.

When I went up on stage everyone was doing this crazy stuff he told them to do, except me. I was very sceptical and didn't believe in it. Then, he said my shoes were weighing 100lbs each. I'll be dammed, I couldn't budge them. The tape sells for $15.00.
<hr /></blockquote>

cycopath &lt;-- Thinks he may now be able to beat C.C., with a few hypnotic words.

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> CC,

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

you need an impending family reunion to motivate you

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
"kick his ass Auntie Barbara" <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Auntie? You need to meet Barbara. She's more like the sister I've always wanted. The friend everyone like to have. Auntie? No way jose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Can a Aunt be 15 yrs younger?

Best Regards Wally and thanks for the laugh,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 12:44 PM
HAHAHAHA Cycopath,

You playing the Open? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~LMAO good one bud.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 12:54 PM
CC,

I was quoting Barbara's niece. If I recall the story correctly Barbara was kicking her brother's butt in straight pool at a family reunion when her precocious young niece exclaimed "Kick his ass Auntie Barbara" or something to that effect /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kids say the darndest things /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might have missed that story. She may have told it when you were laid up.

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi Barbara,

I'll post it tonight for you. I'd like to send you a copy of it but I'll have to re-order one for you. The one I have is very worn. I've listened to it many times. The directions say to listen to it for 30 days and 21 days nonstop. If you take a break? That can only be for one day. Anything more and you'll have to start over. It'll drive you nuts for 30 days but it motivates and when playing your so relaxed it's unreal.

I'll post my version for everyones curiousity. The trick to this stuff is to use someone elses voice. Self hypnosis is too hard. You mind needs another strangers voice. I sleep with it going and it works well. Be careful not to read the post at work though. It could make you fall asleep easy.

Regards,

C.C.

Barbara
06-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Actually Wally, I was playing cutthroat against my two brothers (I once ran the whole table on them /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and my one niece (the daughter of my younger brother who was playing) was saying, "Hurry up and miss so Auntie Barbara can shoot".

Yeah, my California brother just notified me he's coming out the first week in August. I told him to practice his racks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~loves her nieces to pieces...

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ...my one niece (the daughter of my younger brother who was playing) was saying, "Hurry up and miss so Auntie Barbara can shoot"....<hr /></blockquote>

LOL... you broads really stick together /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralph S.
06-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I like to think of myself as a decent person, but two things in this world are certain: We are all human and that makes us all prone to err. Myself included.

Ralph S.
06-18-2004, 08:55 PM
For a long time I always kept my phone on due to my fathers failing health. A few times it actually started ringing during a match. I always tried to remember to inform my opponent though as not to be rude and explained why it would be on. Many were understanding and had no problems with that. They just appreciated the warning that it could ring at any time.

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Geez Wally,

I remember now. Man, that was a long time ago. If I recall her family came to town and stayed for a holiday and Barbara, kicked the heck out of her brothers and the kids liked it so much. They were all cheering Auntie Barbara. Please excuse me Wally for misunderstanding. Now, let me go get my foot out of my mouth.

Regards,

C.C.~~everythings slowly coming back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif your a great friend Wally and I do regret not being able to meet you in Peoria.