PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Candyman
06-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Last night in league play my opponent forgot to mark the pocket and my captain called the foul. He has played APA for several years and knows the rules. He is a sl7 and I am a strong sl4. He had me 2-0 and would have been 3-0 when the foul occurred. He is a friend of mine and was very disturbed to have this foul called on him. He told me that was chicken s$$t. I reminded him in the first game to mark the pocket. He was about to pull the trigger. I don't like to win like that, but it is the rule. His game went to pot after that and I came back to win 3-3. I am not the type person that has to win at all cost. I have called fouls on myself many times for double hits and near simultaneous hits, knowing that my opponent would have taken a different option. My integrity is very important to me and the game of pool is equally important. How do you handle situations like this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-16-2004, 08:37 AM
This happened to us Monday night. My captain's opponent did not mark the pocket. Even though the 8-ball shot was obvious my captain called the foul.

I have no problem with it either way. If folks get in the habit of being lax about marking the pocket what if the shot is not so obvious? Are they then going to claim they meant to make the bank shot instead of the cut.

It doesn't happen often enough to matter that much. The reason it doesn't happen is because folks know that their opponent will call them on it.

Before all the APA bashers chime in, remember the Challenge of Champions is call-pocket. Like it or not, that's the rule.

Chris Cass
06-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Candyman,

I admire your values but there's nothing you can do. That's something league players do. It's unfortunate that it was your friend too. The captain is doing his job and your friend needed to do his. It's bad all the way around but atleast you didn't make a point of calling it so, your dignity is in tact. Don't feel too bad though. You did go out of your way to remind him the first time. That was more than most I've seen do.

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't agree with it but that's league pool.

UWPoolGod
06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Usually I will ask my opponent if they want to mark the pocket or not. Usually depends on the caliber of player. Just have to make sure to look at the guy when declaring your pocket to make sure they understand you are trying a bank and not a 'Z' bank. But if they want it marked I never forget. Since I chalk after every shot it is just another thing added onto the preshot routine for the 8ball.

daviddjmp
06-16-2004, 10:02 AM
In our BCA 8-Ball leagues, nobody calls the pocket if it is an obvious shot, whether on the 8 or any other shot. I have played in the league for a little over a year now, and no one has ever called a foul for not marking the pocket on an obvious shot. Maybe this is the exception, but is seems like it is a lot more enjoyable this way. I have played in many matches where no one has called any pockets at all because the opponents understand what each other are doing-

Candyman
06-16-2004, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> In our BCA 8-Ball leagues, nobody calls the pocket if it is an obvious shot, whether on the 8 or any other shot. I have played in the league for a little over a year now, and no one has ever called a foul for not marking the pocket on an obvious shot. Maybe this is the exception, but is seems like it is a lot more enjoyable this way. I have played in many matches where no one has called any pockets at all because the opponents understand what each other are doing- <hr /></blockquote>

I understand where you are coming from and I agree 100%. This is my second session in APA. Our LO stressed really hard before our first session how important it was to mark the pocket. Is this practice universal? I don't want to be a jerk. I went to the finals last session and "all" fouls, including marking, were called. I just want to be on the same page as everybody else. Please note that I didn't call the foul. My captain did. My buddy was still pi$$ed at me. I feel like Rodney King! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-16-2004, 11:02 AM
I am not a nit pic about rules, but rules are rules. Suppose someone scratches, you don't say "OOPS" go ahead and shoot since you didn't mean to scratch, you have to be consistent. Some rules may seem petty but they still have to be enforced.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-16-2004, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> .....Our LO stressed really hard before our first session how important it was to mark the pocket. Is this practice universal?..... <hr /></blockquote>

It is very important. I have never seen anyone around here win a game when they marked the wrong pocket. The opponent will always call the foul. I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way it is.

The 3 most important things in APA:

1. Show up, on time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Hit your ball first

3. Mark the pocket for the 8

Rich R.
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>I understand where you are coming from and I agree 100%. This is my second session in APA. Our LO stressed really hard before our first session how important it was to mark the pocket. Is this practice universal? I don't want to be a jerk. I went to the finals last session and "all" fouls, including marking, were called. I just want to be on the same page as everybody else. Please note that I didn't call the foul. My captain did. My buddy was still pi$$ed at me. I feel like Rodney King! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
No matter what league you play in, you have to play by the rules of that league.

In the APA, you are required to mark the pocket for the 8-ball. If you don't, you lose, pure and simple.

The rule is obviously a way to avoid misunderstandings, when calling the pocket. A player can't just wave his stick across the table, shoot and say he called the pocket the ball fell into. I'm sure this is aimed mostly, but not exclusively, at the bar leagues, where someone may have had a few drinks, but it is a rule and must be followed.

The higher you go in APA tournaments, the more strict they get about the rules.

ChrisW
06-16-2004, 12:15 PM
So if your buddy happened to miss this shot but the eight ball goes into the "marked pocket" but not the pocket he intended, would he give the game to you?

I wouldn't think twice about calling a foul in your situation after reminding him once already.
Actually you handled it exactly the way I would have but got
lucky that you captain saw the foul so you did not have to call it.

Also, I hope your captain was also your coach since only the
player or the coach can call a foul.
If your buddy caught on to that then you may have had a bigger argument.

Chris

Rod
06-16-2004, 12:21 PM
That's league for ya, it happens. I think the most important thing in leagues is know the rules. Then the captains need to stress importance of rules before the season begins. That is to say they explain people will call fouls no matter how chicken $hit it appears. Most league disputes are about rules and it's no wonder.

Rod

woody_968
06-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Since APA plays that you must "mark" the pocket you need to play by the rules and call the foul. I dont like it at all, but thats the rule. Really the only thing you could have done IMO is to stop him before he shoots and remind him to mark the pocket (I assume you didnt have the opportunity to do that), I know your team may not have liked it, but you would have felt good about the match win or lose.

SpiderMan
06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
I'd normally remind the opponent to mark the pocket, but since (presumably) the 8-ball was already made when your captain called the foul, there's not much backing up at that point - your opponent loses and has to live with his shame. If you really wanted to let him slide again you could have told him before he shot.

SpiderMan

Candyman
06-16-2004, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I'd normally remind the opponent to mark the pocket, but since (presumably) the 8-ball was already made when your captain called the foul, there's not much backing up at that point - your opponent loses and has to live with his shame. If you really wanted to let him slide again you could have told him before he shot.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

He potted his last 2 object balls and within 2 seconds popped the 8. I would have told him, but I am from the South and I think the same speed as I talk. By the time it got to my brain the 8 was long gone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sack316
06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
usually I work it out with my opponent if I know them about if they want to mark it or just call it. But you know, maybe your buddy should have gotten mad at his team instead for not paying attention themselves and telling him to mark it. WHen there are matches going on and someone gets to the 8 I almost always hear at least the scorekeeper and one other teammate yelling "mark it up" as soon as their last object ball is made.

cycopath
06-16-2004, 11:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The 3 most important things in APA:

1. Show up, on time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Hit your ball first

3. Mark the pocket for the 8 <hr /></blockquote>

You forgot: Pay your own way!

Rich R.
06-17-2004, 04:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> WHen there are matches going on and someone gets to the 8 I almost always hear at least the scorekeeper and one other teammate yelling "mark it up" as soon as their last object ball is made. <hr /></blockquote>
This is the same way our team does it. At least one, and most of the time several, will say those brilliant words. "Mark it up." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After all, it is a TEAM competition.