PDA

View Full Version : Interesting gambling story

Predator314
06-17-2004, 08:28 AM
I went to the PH yesterday and one of the guys I shoot with all the time was shooting some sets when I got there. I watched them for a while, then he came up to me and told me what they were playing for. They were racing to 10 for $400. He was spotting the other guy 7 games. I know the guy he was shooting wasn't too good, but was capable of running 5-6 balls. That's a tough spot and one of the most generous spots I've seen in a long time. He lost $1600 last night.

I'm playing him tonight. We shoot pretty even. We were doubles partners in the state tournament a few weeks ago. I asked him for the same spot /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We're gonna play heads up. Probably race to 5 or race to 7 for $100/set. I haven't had a good gambling game in a while (rinky dink ring games don't count).

What's the most generous spot you all have seen?

Dagwood
06-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I think the most generous spot that I've ever seen is 14-3 in 1P...and it still wasn't enough of a spot. Dernedest thing I've seen....

Dags

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Pred,

Jonny K once gave this kid the 1 out wild but don't count on the break. Gave the kid the breaks too. Probably to wear him down. They played for $2. a game The kid could only make 2-3 balls in a row. The kid wants the 7 wild from Spike but I won't let him gamble.

Anyway, Jonny was down 26 games and 8 hrs later Jonny was up 5 games and the kid quit. What a grinder he was though. Jonny said he wanted to get in stroke. I told him he was crazy. LOL

I've seen Rocketman give only spots that would guarentee he would lose. Regardsless of the spots you give other players it all comes down to what's really fair. imho The last two could be a huge spot in some situations. Not most but some maybe. I once gave a guy the 1 out wild. My breaks and BIH after the break regardless if I scratch. That was stealing.

Regards,

C.C.~~spot died, he was hit by a truck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Predator314
06-17-2004, 09:10 AM
I did spot a guy the wild 1 out one time. They guy had touched a pool cue maybe 3 times in his life and we were just playing around for $1 /game. I got the breaks.

I've also been on both ends of the break, take ball in hand game. If you miss you lose, if you run out you win.

I don't consider these as big spots since we were playing for like a buck or two. $400 is a different story.

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Mike Caralla used to give guys like the 3, 5, 7, which meant Mike could almost never miss. The other guy was never more then two balls from the money ball. Danny D. used to give big one pocket spots like 10 to 2 or 12 to 3 and the like. His strength is running balls, he often could run out regardless what he needed, 10 or 12 balls like nothing. I became a much more aggressive player, and a more winning player around him. All those fancy mover can only buy a shot, if you don't score, it isn't worth much.

woody_968
06-17-2004, 09:44 AM
The most I have given up was the 8ball and five games going to ten. The guy finally quit when he missed the 8ball with ball in hand trying to play shape on the nine /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have seen the last 6 given up on the bar table to a descent player, probably the strongest game I have watched.

Also saw a few players use a broomstick for a cue. I have ran one rack that way but sure wouldnt put my money on the line LOL.

mike_in_iowa
06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I have offered a few times to players that all they have to do is make the nine hit the end rail on a legal shot. They all think it is some kind of gaffe and pass. I don't know if I could win like that but these were only $20 players.

mike

RedHell
06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
I played a guy yesterday that was giving 3 games in a race to 9, I lost the first match 9-4 and couldn't pot a ball to save my life. I told him I was quitting and he insisted in playing more... I told him that even if he was giving me 8 on a race to 9 I was out of stroke and didn't want to play.

He insisted and offer me 6 games to 9. I gave up accepted and took his money, 9-1....

He quit after that...

I played 2 Italians in a scotch double 8-ball games for drinks, after 3 losses they wanted to quit. We offered them a game with a broom stick and they accepted. We got two more drinks with the stick, the best fun I ever had !!!

I played some 5$ against 10$ 8-ball with ball in hand after the break for a run-out. I made 5 out of 8, and then offered my opponents 5$ a game with only one color on the table scotch double. They were allowed to miss 3 times... I made another 15$ with that...

Biggest spot I ever gave was the wild 7 to my wife for the laundry ! Race to 9... She made the laundry ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rocky
06-17-2004, 12:21 PM
orange crush!

Predator314
06-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I've seen the broomstick one in a $100 set. Broomstick won /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've also watched a guy shoot one handed for money. He shot just as good 1 handed as he did with two.

Crap like that is the reason I love this game. You meet some characters in pool halls. You see some really entertaining stuff too. People say gambling and the antics associated with it ruins the game. I like it. It gives the game character like no other sport. Sure it's not for kids and family, but these parts of the game can be avoided.

Eric.
06-17-2004, 01:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I once gave a guy the 1 out wild. My breaks and BIH after the break regardless if I scratch. That was stealing.

Regards,

C.C.~~spot died, he was hit by a truck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

O.K., I'll play with that spot. I might even give up a few games on the wire if I'm getting the 1 out /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 02:58 PM
"I played a guy yesterday that was giving 3 games in a race to 9, I lost the first match 9-4 and couldn't pot a ball to save my life. I told him I was quitting and he insisted in playing more... I told him that even if he was giving me 8 on a race to 9 I was out of stroke and didn't want to play.

He insisted and offer me 6 games to 9. I gave up accepted and took his money, 9-1
He quit after that."

You broke even then, and remember, you quit first until you got the nuts. I would delete that story if I was you.

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi Pred,

Why would the amount of money matter?

Regards,

C.C.

RedHell
06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
I don't look at it this way but you're allowed to your opinion.

In thruth, I don't gamble much... I had to be convinced in the first place to play him. After seeing the way I played I wanted to stop. He insisted and I refused he insisted again and I refused, finaly once he insisted once more, I accepted. To tell you the thruth I didn't even think I was going to win it even with the nuts like you say. But I got a little more in stroke and he played worst.

He basicaly insisted (to its own admitance) because he felt he needed to allow me to break even. He told me he noticed I wasn't in stroke and was hoping I would get out of my slump. It worked...

After that I payed him 2 beers which equals the 10$ I lost in that first match, all in all he still got his money worth...

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Just giving you a hard time.

RedHell
06-17-2004, 06:14 PM
I get lurred in too easily /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee
06-17-2004, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> I have offered a few times to players that all they have to do is make the nine hit the end rail on a legal shot. They all think it is some kind of gaffe and pass. I don't know if I could win like that but these were only $20 players.

mike <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Mike...can I get some of that? LOL

Scott

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Sorry Erik,

There's no way I could think about giving you the 1 out. You shoot too good for that, my friend.

Regards,

C.C.

cueball1950
06-17-2004, 10:58 PM
the craziest game i ever saw was here in the northeast when a joss tour regular gave a local b player 11/8 plus the 7/8/9 wold except on the break... Joss player won 1500 in 2 hours. crazieast 1 pocket game i ever saw was between a pro player and a gent from down south playing after hours at the open atthe old q master's in norfolk. the pro player was giving the gent from down south 11/4 and beating him. well they were going to quit but the gent from down south wanted a bigger spot.. getting 11/4 and wanted more. so the pro said. ok... 11/3 but you have to double the bet. well the gent from down south won the 1st game and the pro won the next 8 or 9 games before they quit...11/3 and can't win. but a good time was had by all........mike

sack316
06-17-2004, 11:57 PM
my favorite was a friend of mine who was leaving town and having his last hoo-rah at our poolhall. He got on the PA system and offered to play anyone in the room one handed in 8 ball, he was going to buy the whole room a beer anyway, but if he won then his opponent had to match it. Well he actually won it, and each one was out about $250 because it was a busy night. but the wholeplace was going nuts and it was one of the most fun things I've watched before. (FYI, beyond that 250 he spent on the round, he spent about another 400 bucks that night buying stuff for him and his friends. Man did he know how to party!)

Tommy_Davidson
06-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Back in about 1985 or so,when Earl still gambled,he came through Memphis,which was Louie Roberts' stronghold at the time. Louie told Earl where to go to find action,who to play and how much he could give up weightwise,but specifically told Earl not to give a guy named Lou Jones too much weight,as he was a strong local player. Lou would probably be about your "average joe" Joss Tour player speed wise,as well as being known as a rock solid gambler,and fairly wealthy to boot,so this would have been a nice score for Louie and Earl if the game were approached differently. Louie came into the room after they had started playing,and was horrified by what he was told was taking place. Earl was giving this tour level player the 4,5,6,THE BREAK AND THE FIRST SHOT,betting 100 a rack! Lou responded by running 12 racks out of the box,after which Earl finally won a game,which is when Louie came in. He was furious,but didn't say anything out loud. Lou's break apparently went to sleep on him,as Earl held the game at a virtual standstill for 8 hours after that,finally quitting when the room closed,only the original 1200 stuck. After Lou and most of the others were out of the room,Louie tells Earl "Man,I told you not to give Lou Jones too much weight". Earl's response to this?
"You never told me Lou Jones had a mustache"! This story was told to me by the room owner,and is MUCH funnier told in person by him,as he does impressions of both Louie and Earl when telling it,giving it a punchline effect. The biggest spots I personally have given up are 9 games going to 13,to a player I've seen run 2 racks several times,winning 5 of 6 sets,the 6-out wild with me getting the break,21 ahead in 3 hours,and the 7,8 and the break,winning 14 games in 2 hours,all for cheap stakes,giving strong weight up just to have someone willing to bang heads for several hours,not picking on a weaker player or trying to be cocky,just looking for additional motivation. Tommy D.

Wayne
06-18-2004, 02:25 AM
The biggest spot I've given is 16-3 and the breaks in one pocket. The funniest spot I gave was after Joe Porper had bugged me for a long time to give him 11-5 and the breaks for $20. I felt this was too much but he kept bugging me to play him like that. I didn't like it but I finally agreed. He broke and then I ran 11. He broke down his cue paid me and said "You hustled me". Cracked me up.

#### leonard
06-18-2004, 06:07 AM
PreDator since your from WV I will tell you this a few Buddy Hipes from Wheeling,WV stories.

He went to the Worlds Championship in Kinston NC in 1955/6 and challenged all you World Champions to play nineball. Irving Crane stepped up and accepted the challenge. I didn't witness this just heard the story. Irv had Buddy down 42 games to 3 and they tied at 44 apiece and Irv quit.

He went to Hudson NY to play Poughkepsie Mel and Mel had him stuck 30 games and Ralph the room owner/stakehorse asked Buddy what is the problem and he said Mel can't play and in 4 hours he went from 30 down to 40 up.####

Predator314
06-18-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> PreDator since your from WV I will tell you this a few Buddy Hipes from Wheeling,WV stories.

He went to the Worlds Championship in Kinston NC in 1955/6 and challenged all you World Champions to play nineball. Irving Crane stepped up and accepted the challenge. I didn't witness this just heard the story. Irv had Buddy down 42 games to 3 and they tied at 44 apiece and Irv quit.

He went to Hudson NY to play Poughkepsie Mel and Mel had him stuck 30 games and Ralph the room owner/stakehorse asked Buddy what is the problem and he said Mel can't play and in 4 hours he went from 30 down to 40 up.####
<hr /></blockquote>

I guess you're talking about the same Bud Hypes I know. I would guess he about 80 some odd years old. He's from Mullens, WV. He used to run a pool hall and is a legend in these parts. One of my friends got a lot of good instruction from him.

Predator314
06-18-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Pred,
Why would the amount of money matter?
C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

The amount of money on the line doesn't change the way I shoot, but I would never give up a spot like that playing for more than a buck. That's too much. I was just doing it for fun to see if I could win (also was wanting to work on defense).

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Good morning Pred,

Ah, I got it now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Yep, it's a good idea to try different spots just to see how you would fair. I don't know why I didn't think of it first. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
That is the same Buddy Hipes. Wheeling was the only city I could think of in WV. Luther Lassiter,Don Willis,Jimmy Moore would send people to play the fish in Mullens,W.V.

They tried to beat him on his home table and couldn't. They would wait to hear how the people they sent made out. It was a big joke to them. ####

mike_in_iowa
06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
but Scott you don't gamble. And you play a little too good for that spot. I don't know how bad a player would have to play for me to win like that.

mike

Mike
06-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Back in the 60's at Dixies &amp; Jerrys in Camden, NJ there were a couple of guys who used to play each other for the cash with their fist. Dixie made hand pads for each of the guys and they would punch the cue ball instead of using a cue.

Dixie was a table craftsman and made pocket inserts for his pool tables turning them into 3 cushion tables in a flash. Has anyone else seen this?

PQQLK9
06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike:</font><hr>
Dixie was a table craftsman and made pocket inserts for his pool tables turning them into 3 cushion tables in a flash. Has anyone else seen this?<hr /></blockquote>

No ,but someone was inquiring about that type of modification here a short time ago.

Rod
06-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Oh they were made, finding them is another story. I don't think they are made any longer. Besides The only set I've seen installed, the rebound was poor. There just not solid and don't fit flush. Poor mans billiard table.