PDA

View Full Version : I-VORX FERRULE REVUE

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 09:07 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifI've just finished building a Q for a guy up in Massachusetts ( Steve). This customer requested an I-vorx ferrule. Since I had never used one,I tracked down the source(Terry Zylr Cues), & ordered some material, to make my own ferrules. I tested it on a Q of my own, that had real Ivory ferrules, 1" long. After hitting with this Q, I then fabricated 2 capped ferrules,one threaded & one not. 1st I hit with both shafts, using a fiber backing under the tip. On any off-center hits, there was a distinct ceramic or glass sound. I called Terry & he said NOT to use a backing. SO....I cut those tips off & glued up 2 new tips, this time without the backing. Back to the pool hall I go. To my surprise I really liked the hit of both shafts. I would definitely recommend these ferrules. I think real Ivory plays a little more lively, but the cost of the I-vorx is about 1/5th, that of real Ivory. ONE CAUTION, this material sands very quickly, so if you don't plan for that, you'll end up with a ferrule thats too small in diameter. Terry tells me, that in all of the ferrules he has put on with this stuff, only one has broken & that one was not capped...JER P.S. The tips I used, were a soft layered type...P.S.P.S. STEVE YOU"RE GONNA LIKE THE WAY YOUR Q PLAYS.

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Sorry Mr. Zylr's 1st name is KERRY, not Terry...JER

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Before I contact him, was there any problem with him selling you the raw material? That is the way I would prefer to buy it. surprising the pad would make that much difference. Suppose a customers wants a pad, would they possibly unhappy with the hit as a result?

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 10:28 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifNo problem at all. He evidentely uses a screw machine, to make his threaded ferrules. The last 2" of material can't be turned in that process. These are the pieces he sold me. I charge $50 to install an Ivory ferrule. I would guess that I'll charge somewhere around $25 for these. The sanding is touchy...JER

stickman
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
JER, I'm happy that you confirmed my personal belief in these ferrules. I've been a Ivor-X fan for a while now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Popcorn
06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Do they have a weave in them or are they an extruded or cast material? I am going to try them for sure. Your prices are pretty reasonable, I don't charge less then $30.00 for any ferrule

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifThe material doesn't have any fibers in it. To me, it has a ceramic look & feel. It kind of reminds me of Corian, the stiff they make counter tops out of.JER

RedHell
06-17-2004, 11:53 AM
JER,

Now that you're talking about Ivory, that brings a question to my mind. Yesterday I was talking with a local cue maker here and he showed me a new cue he just finnished. The thing was loaded with Ivory, being in Canada, I always thought that it was illegal.

I asked about it and he says, yes it is illefal. But, he found a website online that was not putting any restriction on where they were shipping Ivory. He told me he decided to take the risk and order anyway and see what happens...

He got the package and had no problems whatsoever with custom and import. I asked him what it was declared under and he said the receipt had the item described as "Genuine Ivory"...

How could this be possible ? I first thought of a mistake but then he told me that as he didn't order enough to finnish his cue he had to order some more and again had no problems...

So my question is, what is wrong with that ? Is it legal or not ?

Thanks,

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 01:13 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't know what the law is in Canada,but here in the US it is illegal to IMPORT any Elephant Ivory. Ivory that is already IN the country, can be bought & sold with out a problem. When I buy a section of a tusk, they send me a form telling what country the animal was killed in & when. There is one exeption. If you go to a country that allows the thinning of elephant herds,you can kill an elephant and bring the Ivory into the US. BUT....The Ivory can not be sold, untill AFTER your death. Inother words, ESTATE IVORY. I am not an expert, but this is how it has been explained to me. I beleave you can use all of the Walrus Ivory you want,but it has to STAY in the country of origin..JER

RedHell
06-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Well,

I decided to make some research on Canadian customs website and I found a docuement that list the import codes for all good. In that document it appears that a code exist for Ivory from elephant, walrus and other animal...

Therefore I can only deduct that importing Ivory in Canada is legal !!!!

PBat51
06-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Jer,

I think you'll get at least 2 reviews of this combo hell and maybe another order.... I was very interested when Steve told me about getting this ferrule.

Thanks,

Pbat51....

P.S.
Jer when should I be expecting it?????

Steve's friend the shippee

P.S.S.

Oh thanks Steve for infecting me with the cue disease

BLACKHEART
06-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve told me the last payment is in the mail. When I get it, the Q goes out UPS...JER

Cueless Joey
06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Btw, it's spelled Ivor-X. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They are sold at
Ivor-X (http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ivor-x&Category_Code=) My friends even had their billiard ( 3-c players) cues ferrules replaced with Ivor-X.
I say it's the best synthetic ferrule out there today.
They're a heck lot cheaper than ivory or buckhorn.
The material does sand easily but is strong as a whole.
Those who have not tried one yet, you should give it a try after your regular ferrules start to get really dirty or you just want a ferrule that hits really close to ivory.

Tommy_Davidson
06-18-2004, 12:10 AM
> I wouldn't mind trying one of those myself,got one to spare? Installation is not a problem for me,even though I can't do it in class (no 3 jaw chuck on the back of the spindle,have to do it at home on my repair machine). I also need to pick your brain about some tooling problems as well. Tommy D.

SteveEllis
06-18-2004, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Steve told me the last payment is in the mail. When I get it, the Q goes out UPS...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Dropped it off at the Boston Postal annex Tuesday morning. It should be in your mailbox right ... tick, tick, tick ... now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveEllis
06-18-2004, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> ... STEVE YOU"RE GONNA LIKE THE WAY YOUR Q PLAYS. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm looking forward to finding out for myself. You've been a quality person to deal with and I full expect the cue to reflect the same quality.
The reason I asked for Ivor-X was because I wanted to give it a try and see what it was like. I'm pleased to know that this was a positive learning experience for you as well. Steve.

================================================== ========

SteveEllis
06-18-2004, 05:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PBat51:</font><hr>
... Steve's friend the shippee ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Gee willikers, my wife told me I have no friends.

BLACKHEART
06-18-2004, 07:33 AM
I think she said,"if you buy one more Q, you'll loose your BEST friend".HAHA...JER

SteveEllis
06-18-2004, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I think she said,"if you buy one more Q, you'll loose your BEST friend".HAHA...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Ooh-ooh, you think that's what she meant? That could be a problem as I've had one in the oven for over a year and it should be baked pretty soon. Of course I thought it would be baked a long time ago so I could still have plenty of time.

PBat51
06-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Well after shooting with the cue all I have to say is Steve got a deal and a half on a fine playing cue. The woods have nice figure to them and I espically like the ringwork at the joint. I reminds me of the ringwork on a Cog....

Steve would be able to better compare and contrast an Ivory ferrule with an Ivor-x one. All i know is that is shot very well and was quite a deal......

Jer you wouldn't have any purpleheart and birdseye and/or curly maple floating around??? would you?

PBat51

BLACKHEART
06-27-2004, 11:11 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifIn fact I do...JER

SteveEllis
06-27-2004, 01:28 PM
First things first...
I just got back from the championships of my soccer league (The Over The Hill Soccer League) and we are the champions, we are the champions! And I'm very, very tired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now to the cue...
The cue is a very nice hitting cue. I played Paul with it about 3 hours Friday and play 4 or 5 with it yesterday. It is very, very different from my current playing cue, which I love btw. It is the stiffest hitting cue I own I compared it to my Webb (my playing cue), my low end Scruggs, and my Dufferin sneaky pete. In terms of stiffness the ranked Blackheart, Dufferin, Scruggs, Webb. None of them are "whippy", but the Blackheart is the stiffest.
It was hard for me to compare the Ivor-X with ivory, because my ivory ferrules are on my Webb and they hit completely differently (most people agree Webbs have a unique hit). Suffice it to say, I have no complaints with it.
The cue was balanced very nicely. I normally play with a 19 oz cue and this one checked in at 19.4 (according to a cheap mail scale), but I thought it was light due to the balance.
The Webb will still be my primary playing cue, but I wouldn't hesitate at any time to use the Blackheart. Jer makes a good cue and it may be the biggest bang for the buck of all my cues, (except maybe for that 70.00 dollar Dufferin Phantom, it plays awfully well for 70).
Well don Jer, this is a purchase I will never regret.

PBat51
06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
congrats on the soccer championship.....

hmmm thats 2 championships in a month well done

BLACKHEART
06-27-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm glad you liked the Q, that I made for you. I think that the more you play with it, the more you will appreciate the predictabillity of the draw. If you want 6", you'll get 6", not 4 or 8. Like I told you, people discribe my Qs as solid,&amp; easy to draw the ball &amp; predictable. Give it a chance, it will become your number one Q...JER /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif