PDA

View Full Version : Last Ball, Any Switch Ideas?

Sid_Vicious
05-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Ok I'm still haunted with that last ball not going in for the cash. We've all talked about this over time, things said such as "It's just like any other shot and play shape anyway", "Bear down", "Relax", "Focus on the preshot routine" "Stay down." HELP, I AM CONFUSED! To bear down changes my cadience and I sense right away that I'm off balance. To tell the truth ANYTHING I do at the moment that I stare down at the last ball degenerates the outcome. Tell me, are there any nifty "switches" that work predominently on money ball chokes? I tried looking at the CB last after reading it here this morning and briefly had positive success. But that action still alters my perception that it's like any other shot, wallah I see the fuzzies somehow and find a horn in the pocket.

Surely there are switches that you rack runners and gamblers use, 'cause I've noticed that you rarely, rarely miss the game ball. TIA...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 01:17 PM
If you are thinking about anything else while you are down on the shot.. you miss more than you make the shot.

Discipline. When you are down.. on the shot.. and some strange thought jumps in your head... GET UP.. this thought is distracting you...

stroke aim, stroke aim, (Damn I'been missing the money ball a lot) stroke aim, stroke aim, (sh*t, this is worse than I thought), stroke aim, SHOOT.. MISS..

Get up.. GET UP.. remove those distractions by going over your pre-shot routine again.. when you decide what you are going to do.. do it.. don't think about anything else.

MikeM
05-05-2002, 08:42 PM
One of my teammates actually has this little dance he does if he starts to get rattled. If he's down on the game winner and feeling tight he just jumps up and does a little jig. Looks funny as hell, but it works. He doesn't get to a lot of winning shots but makes 'em after his dance.

MM

stickman
05-05-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm cracking up just imagining it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif The laughter probably would take the edge off okay. At least if I were to dance a jig, I'm sure it would create histerical laughter where I play.

cheesemouse
05-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Sid,
This may sound corny but I do this in two different states of play. The first is: your running the balls and whamo your out of line and your heart beat just went up from 68 to 150 in one half a second. I calmly turn my back on the table a go to my spot(we all have a spot where we set up our stuff)while at the spot I tell myself that when I look back at the table it will be with the idea that my opponent was suppose to get out but he dogged it and left me this shot. The shot is a total gift because he was dead out and dogged it now I have a chance to win the game. Having turned an uh-uh into an oh-ya I return to the table and get after it...the second is when I'm on the case ball and the dog bites, if I can stop myself I do the same routine as above.
http://www.clipartconnection.com/img/6/WB/zed_non_com/clipconxn/animations/astronomy/0180.gif http://www.chargeonline.com.br/anjo.gif If this works I make the space dog thank the pool angle.

05-05-2002, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> he just jumps up and does a little jig. Looks funny as hell, but it works. He doesn't get to a lot of winning shots but makes 'em after his dance.

MM <hr></blockquote>

wish to heck i could do that.

that's great. funniest, most original and most potentially useful idea/observation i've seen around here in a long time.

you'd have to know the guys in my tuesday league to appreciate how hard i'm laughing just thinking about it.

dan...thanx

MikeM
05-06-2002, 06:05 AM
Yeah, the laughter lightens everybody up. That's not all. This guy also rides his cue like a horsey and whips it when he misses an easy shot. Sledgehammer doesn't begin to describe his breaks. He routinely makes four or five balls, but you never know which table the cue is going to land on. And he usually has two or three hot single women show up to watch him play. All reasons I invite him back every session.

MM

05-06-2002, 10:27 AM
It's a proven fact that laughter makes your heart rate go down. I was involved in an experiment at a sports psychology seminar where we first determined our heart rates, then were shown hysterical scenes from a funny movie, and afterwards measured our heart rates again. Sure enough, all of our heart rates went down substantially.

If it were me, I'd probably save the jig for the bathroom, though. (Not really big on looking foolish in front of everybody).

Fran

Eric.
05-06-2002, 12:31 PM
One thing I do that may or not help- try making the money ball while "playing position for the next ball". I try to get the cueball back to the middle of the part of the table that the money ball is at. Hope it helps.

Eric

05-06-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> To bear down changes my cadience and I sense right away that I'm off balance. <hr></blockquote>
Wait a minute. Are you saying that you're NOT bearing down for the rest of the balls? Just the money ball? Are you saying that bearing down is something you don't usually do, so doing so for the money ball is a change from the norm?

05-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Well yea. When I'm running the best of my ability, I am so unconscious of my play that is is kind of mystical. People will many times compliment me on a shot or progression during a game afterwards, and many times I flat out don't remember it at all. I don't mean to imply that I'm good, just that it all comes together the best for me when I "coast" through without thinking, but the breakdown(and the point of this thread) is that THAT event of realizing I'm on game ball suddenly grabs the success away. Damn shameful when it ends like that and it just keeps on a'happenin...sid

05-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Interesting. It's kinda hard for me to comment then, since I am the exact opposite. I am a slow, deliberate player, and I bear down on every shot. I play Pool one shot at a time, with a complete "break" in action and focus between every shot. I do a lot of walking around and looking between each shot. The shots don't flow from one to the next. Each shot is its own entity to me.

So the last shot is just like any shot in the game. I am bearing down 100%.

Many pros (certainly not all) shoot this way when the stakes are high and there is no shot clock. As I've said on here before, for people that have only seen pros shoot with a 30 second shot clock, they might be surprised as to how slow many of them shoot when there is no shot clock, and the game really means something.

05-06-2002, 05:17 PM
I once heard that in public speaking when you get panic struck that you can look at the audience and imagine them all in their underwear. You're probably like me in that your class of pool players(physique-wise) paints a really wild and funny idea when you put that image in your head,,,add in the dance routine and we might have found the answer on how to revive the billiards industry!!!sid~~~does believe that there's something to anything that puts humor in your head, why not pool

Cuemage
05-06-2002, 05:44 PM
Sidenote to that. If I have a tough moneyball shot, I try to leave the cueball in a difficult position if I miss.

Tha Cuemage

05-06-2002, 05:47 PM
If you were playing a world class pro in some 9-ball, for $500 a set...how would you play? Would you "coast" through? Or would you take your time, bear down, and focus on every shot?

For me, the answer is that I bear down on every shot. Since I know that to miss means I might not see the table again, I don't take any shot for granted.

But then, I shoot much better when I am bearing down on every shot than when I am coasting. Since I know that, I bear down on every shot. When I don't is when I start missing.

I'm fortunate in that I have a pro to practice with every week. And other pro's that I play occasionally. And other pros that I have played in tournaments before. But I am not pro-caliber. So I know what it is like to play 9-ball and have my @$$ handed to me on a platter.

I'm just curious, do you frequently play people that are capable of running 5 racks on you when you miss a shot? If you did, would you still coast? Or would you bear down on every shot?

I'm not saying this in a condescending way, so please don't take it that way. I'm just curious as to other's experiences in the game, and the reasons for why they play the way they do, and the different things they have tried that may or may not have led to further success.

05-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Mike...I have to confess, I am recently transforming into more of an attentative style player. Used to be though that I'd play so effortlessly that it wasn't fun, as strange as it sounds that what it made me feel like at the time. Problem was that I can't keep the gremlins out of the run when it really counts so I've begun to slow down and study everything, even the tiny, tiny speck on the curvature of the tip making contact with the CB. So, you were correct in today's post about bearing down. It just hasn't been that long since "the change" in approach, and I slipped back to my old way of thinking. Thanks for the reply...sid~~~likes the events more when he really studies shots and then performs, instead of free wheeling

05-06-2002, 05:53 PM
I know what you mean about changing things recently, Sid.

Take a look at the picture that is linked from my profile here. See how the cue is in the middle of my chin? (I also think that picture is a good depiction of "bearing down").

Well, my cue doesn't go in the middle of my chin anymore. I am no longer 100% totally absolutely completely ambiocular. I am right-eye dominant. After getting tired of the cueball going to the right of were I wanted it EVERY SINGLE FRICKING TIME, I started making some changes. I moved the cue out to be more under my right eye, and I started shooting straight again.

Only it's not that easy. What IS easy is to let the drift right back to where it comfortably was before, and start missing to the right every time again. But I am making progress. I am much more comfortable with the cue a bit under my right eye now than I was several months ago. But its still a "work in progress".
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
05-06-2002, 06:15 PM
I do that too, but some people will tell you that's negative thinking. I think it's playing smart. I'll never make every game shot. Why give the game away if I miss?

05-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Sid,
The only thing I focus on when I am on the money ball is a nice smooth stroke.Thats the only thing on my mind when I get behind the cb.
Jack

Rod
05-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Sid, I had a feeling this time about your post that you were free wheeling, as Mike mentioned. I have a couple of thoughts. You free wheel until the 8 or 9 and then you put importance on those balls? The same focus and concentration is needed on all shots. Your changing your rhythm of play, probably from fast to slow in the end, and then thinking at the table. Find a pace of play that includes the same preshot routine on every shot. It sounds as if yours varies quite a bit. Just curious, how good of position did you play on that nine ball? Did you have good position on the eight, so you could play good position on the nine? When this happens do you ever notice where it started going wrong? My thought is, if you have good position on the nine, then a miss is not likely to happen. Do tell us more!