PDA

View Full Version : Love conquers at WPBA event

PQQLK9
06-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Top-ranked Fisher tops Corr for billiards title at Midwest Classic

June 14, 2004

By MATTHEW FORNOFF

of the Journal Star

EAST PEORIA - Top-ranked Allison Fisher attributed her success in the Women's Professional Billiards Association's Midwest Classic to several items.

"I love Peoria. It must be the air," she said. "When you come into the arena and you get the warm feeling of people applauding, you know where you belong. The fans have been great."

Dominant play in the championship match also helped Fisher. She defeated No. 2-ranked Karen Corr 7-2 for the second straight year and won her third consecutive 9-ball title at the Par-A-Dice Hotel ballroom.

Corr had lost to Fisher 9-8 in the finals of the winner's bracket Saturday night.

"I went out today in an attack mode. I wasn't going to hold back," Fisher said. "I wanted to take care of business. Karen took care of business with me a couple weeks ago."

Fisher took a 5-0 lead, running the table three times.

Corr won the sixth game. In the next game, she fouled to give Fisher the table. Fisher then missed a shot and gave Corr another chance. On a missed shot, Corr scratched and Fisher took the game.

After winning the eighth game to get within 6-2, another scratch by Corr allowed Fisher to win the final game and the match.

Had Corr won, she would have replaced Fisher as top-ranked player. That fact did not drive Fisher during the match, though.

"I don't look at the rankings and I don't think Karen does. We want to go out there and play flawless pool," she said. "And I actually love trophies. Three years in a row they've been beautiful trophies and I love polishing them.

Sixth-ranked Monica Webb posted a career-best third place finish. She admitted not playing her best.

"I'm delighted with my play earlier in the tournament, up until this point," she said. "My play was alright today but I could have done better."

Corr put Webb in a 4-0 hole to start the third-place match. Webb won the next three games. - twice after Corr scratched and once when she sank the 9-ball on the break.

Webb's drive was not enough as she and Corr traded the next five games. Corr won 7-5.

In the final game of her first match against Kim Shaw, Webb scratched after sinking the 9-ball. Upset by the misfortune, she slid the cue ball hard across the table and knocked another ball that was in play into a pocket.

The behavior could have justified a forfeiture, but because Shaw did not immediately complain, tournament director Steve Tipton gave Webb a warning. Webb may still be fined.

"I was just absolutely furious," Webb said. "I made a tough combination into the corner and I was relieved the match was over. Then I scratch. I lost myself. It's a whirlwind of emotion. But I shouldn't have done that."

Shaw was not able to capitalize on the misplay. Webb gained a second chance when Shaw scratched. She won the match 7-4

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Dawg,

There was also a column in the sports section on Sunday in that paper which you alerted us to.

WPBA column from Sunday (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=141348&Foru m=All_Forums&Words=PQQLK9&Match=Username&Searchpag e=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=141348&Search=true# Post141348)

Nice to see the WPBA getting some coverage, if only locally. Thanks for the heads-up.