PDA

View Full Version : Ball Zig-Zag on new table?

jdlenner
06-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I just got a new 9' medalist installed last night. If i hit a ball very slowly, (just enough to go one table length and stop) it sort of "zig-zags". The path is straight but the ball will veer off to the left and then the right by let's say 1/8" or so.

It looks to me like the slate is level and the ball doesn't roll the same way every time as far as I can tell.

The technician said that the cloth needs to be "broken in". He also said that the heat may have had something to do with it. It was probably over 80 degrees in the room and humid(Thailand). He told me to turn on the air today, play a lot and see what I think and if there is a problem to give him a call.

The cloth is Brunswick Centennial by the way.

I would greatly appreciate any advice someone knowledgable could offer me. The technician will be leaving Thailand Sunday and after that it will be very difficult to get the table looked at if there is a problem.

Thanks

Rod
06-17-2004, 09:32 PM
It's following the weave in the cloth it will mellow. It sounds ok to me just play on it like he said. Brush it down a couple of times after play. I'm no expert but after having many tables recovered I've seen the same effect.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Hi JD,

It's very possible to have a bad cb too. The cloth does need to settle for sure. When I go to some of the bigger tourney events. It seems the cloth does do some major weird stuff but after the second day they all seem to settle down a bit.

You can always look at the cloth and see the stretch marks. Looking from the head rail to the foot rail. If you look very close you'll be able to see if these marks are somewhat straight. This is not to mean it won't roll straight unless the cloth is way loose but it may be an indicator that the cloth needs stretching tighter in some areas.

The humidity is terrible on the cloth too. It'll appear the cloth wasn't installed right when really it's just moisture. The rails will run faster than the cloth. The cloth will roll as if your playing in sand. The english will grab almost instantly.

You'll notice the difference once the air cond takes the humidity out of the room. Sounds like to me it's just new cloth that needs settling and the humidity. If there was a level problem. Then, the ball would only consistanly roll in one direction. I think your ok though. Push your hands on the cloth and see if it bunches up or wrinkles forward. It might slightly but shouldn't for the most part. That would be the only thing that you'd be worried about. The back and forth stuff you mentioned is, just new cloth.

Regards,

C.C.

jdlenner
06-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll check back here later. I'm off to the pool room! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
06-17-2004, 10:01 PM
What, off to the pool room. What about breaking in the new table. A one day old table then go to the room. It's old hat all ready. lol

Rod

Chris Cass
06-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Laundry day is tomorrow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
06-17-2004, 10:26 PM
that went over my head, zing

highsea
06-18-2004, 12:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> Hi,

I just got a new 9' medalist installed last night. If i hit a ball very slowly, (just enough to go one table length and stop) it sort of "zig-zags". The path is straight but the ball will veer off to the left and then the right by let's say 1/8" or so.
The technician said that the cloth needs to be "broken in". <hr /></blockquote>

So you decided not to go with Simonis? You let'em bully you.....Should've stuck to your guns.

-CM

EDIT: I should think before I post. This cloth is a worsted wool 75/25 with teflon. Sure to be skittish when new. I stand corrected.

But I still would have bought Simonis.

-CM /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 06:26 AM
I don't have an answer to jdlenner's problem but maybe he would be kind enough to give us a review of the new Brunswick Centennial cloth after he plays on it for a time.

as far as the zig-zag thing, he really should not be smoking over the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.entertainmentgalleries.com/images_product/mouse/small/zigzag.jpg

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi Rod,

It's a running joke that some people don't use their home table and use it to stack, their laundry on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~brother of Rod /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jdlenner
06-20-2004, 02:00 AM
I meant off to the pool room in my house!!

jdlenner
06-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks Chris. I played with the air on last night and the table seemed a lot better. I've put in about 8 hours on it so far and have brushed it two or three times.

It preformed a little sluggishly without air. Having the air on made a big difference.

jdlenner
06-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Hi CM,

I was going to insist on Simonis but one of the owners of the pool room where I sometimes play (they have simonis 860 on all tables) said that he'd just played on Centennial in Las Vegas and that, although a little different than Simonis, he thought it played really well.

He said that he didn't think it would make that much of a difference to me. - (I am not very good!)

Anyway, as it turns out, I am quite happy so far with the centennial cloth. I will probably get Simonis when the time comes for a new cloth just because everyone insists that it's the best. - so why not?

Thanks for your response by the way

Chris Cass
06-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi JD,

Your welcome but Rod said it first. I only reinterated on the subject. I do want to tell you something I feel is important that some don't know. If you ever feel the need to vacumm the cloth. Don't use a rotating brush type. That will cause more nap and loosen the cloth. You might know this already but it doesn't hurt to hear it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another idea is try to look up in the archives about cloth care. This will save you money in the long run and keep your table looking just as new as now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care,

C.C.