PDA

View Full Version : Just curious????????

cueball1950
06-18-2004, 12:05 AM
I know there have been post on what player dead or alive that you would like to play or have played. well this question is a little different. What Player or Players, DEAD OR ALIVE, would you like to teach you a certain game. Myself. i would have loved to play and learn 3 cushion from Mr Hoppe. 9 ball.easy, wimpy lassiter, 14.1 maybe Joe canton, ####leonards mentor. Although i knew Joe and he knew me by name also but we never had the pleasure of shooting together. and for me, that was a shame. it owuld have been great just watching him run balls............mike

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 06:18 AM
I would like Steve Lipsky to teach me how to play straight pool, New York style /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi Mike,

I wish I had a mentor. The closest I came to one was learning One Pocket about 3 yrs ago. He was a 2 bit hustler and often took my money. Thank God it was only $5. at a time. I think he's up about $600. for that yr. Then, the other stuff happened and it's been another yr gone by. I've only played it for a yr with only him mostly. With one yr under my belt and now, nobody to play.

I finally have a mentor now after all these yrs and it's #### Leonard. We've never met and he can only tell me some stuff. It's tough when all you can learn is from the written word. I think you have to be there in person. However, he has done wonders for me already.

Regards,

C.C.~~I would like to try some 3 Cushion with you Mike. I've only played it once at Chris' Billiards but I do know the rails pretty good. Maybe, at the Open? I sure would like it and I'll spring for the coffee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daviddjmp
06-18-2004, 09:19 AM
I would give anything to take 14.1 lessons from Willie Mosconi or Jim Rempe. Knowing what to do is one thing, executing it 99% of the time is another. In my opinion, that is what separates the good from the great players-

Frank_Glenn
06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I would give anything to take 14.1 lessons from Willie Mosconi or Jim Rempe. Knowing what to do is one thing, executing it 99% of the time is another. In my opinion, that is what separates the good from the great players- <hr /></blockquote>

Contact Rempe, you may get your wish.

dg-in-centralpa
06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Mike, I would love to play Allen Hopkins. Even take lessons from him. With him being a former straight pool champ, plus his many other accomplishments on the table, it would be a pleasure to tap his brain. I almost played him in the PA state 8 ball tournament several years ago. I needed to win another match but didn't make it. As it turned out, he lost as well. I did watch some his matches and he was awesome. Especially on bar boxes.

DG - always willing to learn

Barbara
06-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Mike,

I wish I had spent more time with Jimmy Caras. He taught me a lot of great shots.

Barbara

#### leonard
06-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Mike this is Troy history, famed Troy Lawyer Sheldon Smith of the law firm Smith, Pattison, defeated every 3 cushion Champion that he played exhibitions with. He beat Johnny Lawton, then Worlds Champion 50 to 20 and Layton took off his Worlds Championship ring and gave it to Smith telling him he was the Worlds Champion. Willie Hoppe didn't fare much better.

He played Andy Bakerian 13 to 3. Andy said the games went 7/6, 8/5 never more than 2 innings. When Andy got better the games went to 13 to 5. According to the players of that time Smith was a true Gentleman.

When he died in South Carolina, his obituary took up a full page in the Troy Record with all his accomplishments. He won US senior tennis tourneys,squash tourneys etc but it never mentioned that he played billiards. ####