PDA

View Full Version : How I discovered rhythmn...

Cuemage
05-05-2002, 04:12 PM
I was on the way to Charlotte to play in one of Tommy Kennedy's SE Tour Tournaments. It was an hour & 1/2 drive, which left plenty of time to think. Rhythmn...never had it...felt awkward trying to replicate others...then a funny thing happened.
It began to rain. At first, it was a slow drizzle...just enough to make you alternate between intermittent wipers & regular speed. After about an hour of thinking about my game and wondering how to improve, it began to rain harder.
Then it hit me. I watched the methodic swish/swosh of the wiper across my windshield & wondered how it would feel for my stroke to have that much rhythmn. When I got to the tourney site, I tried it out warming up & it felt real good.
Needless to say, whenever you try something new under competition conditions, you will most likely fail. I did succeed in running several racks...and looked quite the pro in doing so. However, I only won 1 match. But I came away feeling like my skill has advanced yet again.
And the next time my stroke isn't in rhythmn, I'll remember that drive in the rain...

Tha Cuemage

05-05-2002, 05:06 PM
...windshield wipers clappin time, an Bobby's .........Bobby McGee

Chris Cass
05-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi Cuemage,

Now, if you can look like a pro, act, and think like one before the tourney? Then, you'll shoot like one. If I make one good shot, in one game. Where everything came together. Where it's pure stroke and the feel in my hands is poetry in motion. That's worth the entire day to me. Unless, I'm stuck $150.00 in the tourney. Then, I hate this stupid game.

Regards,

C.C.~~I think, therefore I am.....heard it somewhere? I think it was Rene Descartes, ####, or Kato? know it's somebody famous.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Windshield wipers sound (to me) like they are saying
Dumb guy, Dumb guy, Dumb guy

05-05-2002, 10:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Cuemage,

Now, if you can look like a pro, act, and think like one before the tourney? Then, you'll shoot like one.

C.C.~~I think, therefore I am.....heard it somewhere? I think it was Rene Descartes, ####, or Kato? know it's somebody famous. <hr></blockquote>

actually,that philosophical gem has been updated to add another "i think" at the end.

this is an interesting night of ccb.

i've learned that, if i want to get better (like "no, i really want to get worse."), then i need to get a windsheild wiper-like metronome, learn a really stylish dance step(probably complete with spin/jump?) and dress for success.

i can do this.

dan...might settle for not gettin any worser.

Cuemage
05-06-2002, 05:27 PM
It's not the sound Tom. It's the rhytmn with which they wipe, similar to the rhytmn of a stroke.

Tha Cuemage

heater451
05-06-2002, 05:34 PM
Cuemage,

Looks like you revisited that Volkswagen commercial, in your own way. . . .

Tom_In_Cincy
05-06-2002, 08:05 PM
I ain't got no rythmn.. just a stroke in progress..

05-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Ever notice how the great players, the ones we call naturals, all play with a nice rhythm? My late great coach, Dalton Leong, who hung out with the best, and IMO was one of them himself, used to always say, "Find your rhythm."

Sounds like you're finding yours. Cool.

Fran

Fred Agnir
05-07-2002, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cuemage:</font><hr> It's not the sound Tom. It's the rhytmn <hr></blockquote>

It's the rhythm? All this time, I thought it was the size ...

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't matter

Gayle in MD
05-07-2002, 11:10 AM
Hi Cuemage, funny you would post this just now, I have been using my metronome for several weeks now, and I am getting really great results with it. It also helps to solve the problem of those occasional impetuous shots, and using it in practice has slowed down my game in general which has improved my shot making. I only use it for about the first fifteen minutes, then I find I am in stroke, and turn it off and just put on some music. Between my little experiment with the metronome, and my lessons with Scott, I am seeing very good improvment. You might want to try it!

Gayle in Md

05-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Listening to certain music while playing can transfere rhythmn to my stroke.

Personally, I like "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood.

or some Stevy Ray Vaughn&lt;(not sure of spelling)

The 'muddy waters' sound of some of the old southern blues has excellent pool playing rhythmn.

Bobby

dave
05-07-2002, 01:21 PM
I have often considered practicing with a metronome, such as they use in teaching rhythmn to musicians.

dave
05-07-2002, 01:29 PM
I should have read a little further before posting. Interesting.

#### leonard
05-09-2002, 07:44 AM
I would say this to myself when playing against competiton If I get my Rhythmn you get the Blues. It would work fine.####

05-09-2002, 08:28 AM
I've got rhythm...I've got rhythm..I've got rhythm...Who could ask for anything more? (the Gershwins would love to hear me sing this... LOL)

This is some good info for those of us old players who sometimes forget about the basics of stroking and potting balls...thanks for reminding us...Oh, ya...I won my weekend 9-ball tournament last Saturday (16 players/bar boxes)...

Ron C in SC

Gayle in MD
05-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Hey Ron, way to go, congratulations!
Gayle in Md

JimS
05-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Music helps my rhythm too...Miles Davis, So What.

Ross
05-09-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ballbreaker1:</font><hr> Listening to certain music while playing can transfere rhythmn to my stroke.

Personally, I like "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood.

or some Stevy Ray Vaughn&lt;(not sure of spelling)

The 'muddy waters' sound of some of the old southern blues has excellent pool playing rhythmn.

Bobby <hr></blockquote>
Funny you should pick Stevie Ray. I noticed that every time he came on the juke box I would relax and play better. Soon I started playing several of his songs in a row when I was down in a match - my play improved every time. Love Stevie Ray...