PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Balls -- Table Top care

Dufferin_noob
06-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Hello to all,

I was researching the purchase of a new set of billiard balls as a gift for a friend. A local dealer, was adamant about the purchase of the brand "Aramith". He stated that the material that these spheres were made of (Phenolic Resin) was condusive to the material of the Table Top.

He stated the cheap, "Made in China" set are made of a plastic resin and was not condusive to the table top and would tear the material up.

Is this a "sales pitch" to sell Aramith?

---------------

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 10:05 AM
I don't know how they would affect the cloth but don't waste your money on cheap balls. The "aramith pro's" and the Brunswick Centennials (manufactured by the same company as the aramiths) are widely regarded as the benchmark in billiard ball quality.

Dufferin_noob
06-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Thank you Wally for the response.. I did order the Aramith Stone Collection set for my friend..as I know he likes "eye candy" and the Marble finish will appeal to his taste.

I would have purchased the Elephant brand ball set, but sinking $180.00 would have pardon the expression.. busted mine.

I see the name Aramith on ESPN on occasion, but buying name brand versus buying quality is a whole new deal. That is why I figured consulting people who live and breath the sport would give me an opinion that may be more trustworthy than say a salesman.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-18-2004, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dufferin_noob:</font><hr> ...I would have purchased the Elephant brand ball set, but sinking $180.00 would have pardon the expression.. busted mine....
<hr /></blockquote>

I would guess the aramith balls are better quality than the elephant balls for less money. I had no idea the EB's were that much. I was going to buy an EB practice ball set once but they were $50 for 2 balls so I didn't.

Chris Cass
06-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Wally,

I've played with them at the ph. We have a set there. I really don't care for the way they play. Kind of like the old clay balls imho. Besides, I'm against the sloughter of Elephants. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do think they suck but, they do look good.

Fred Agnir
06-19-2004, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dufferin_noob:</font><hr> Hello to all,

I was researching the purchase of a new set of billiard balls as a gift for a friend. A local dealer, was adamant about the purchase of the brand "Aramith". He stated that the material that these spheres were made of (Phenolic Resin) was condusive to the material of the Table Top.

He stated the cheap, "Made in China" set are made of a plastic resin and was not condusive to the table top and would tear the material up.

Is this a "sales pitch" to sell Aramith?

--------------- <hr /></blockquote> The "Made in China" pool balls that I have that look like the Aramith balls (even are packed in a green older-style Aramith look-alike box) are indeed made of phenolic resin like the Aramith balls. Their internal design is different, and the two sets I have are clearly of inferior processing. I have four balls that I have broken, and have shown them a few times on the internet. Maybe someone downloaded the pictures and can upload them again.

Phenolic resin *is* a plastic resin.

Fred

Frank_Glenn
06-19-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> The "Made in China" pool balls that I have that look like the Aramith balls (even are packed in a green older-style Aramith look-alike box) are indeed made of phenolic resin like the Aramith balls. Their internal design is different, and the two sets I have are clearly of inferior processing. I have four balls that I have broken, and have shown them a few times on the internet. Maybe someone downloaded the pictures and can upload them again.

Phenolic resin *is* a plastic resin.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I would be happy to put the pictures up if you email them to me. PM me for more info if you want.

Chopstick
06-21-2004, 03:26 PM
What ever brand you decide on the most important thing is getting a set that knows how to play. I mean if they don't know how to go in the pockets what good are they. Why I said this just the other night at the pool hall. "Get me another set of balls. These things don't know how to play"

Dufferin_noob
06-22-2004, 08:16 AM
I am waiting for the Aramith set.. which are on back-order /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifso I missed the 'Father's Day' deadline.

I was really concerned with the ruining of the table material, while using the balls that came with the table. The table is probably the best I have ever played on (be sides the 9' table I played on at Sharky's in Latrobe, Pennsylvania) and I really want to help take care of it.

If the Aramith are more conducive to the material on the table then the table will last forever and so will the fun.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-22-2004, 08:23 AM
I don't think the type of balls will affect the wear of the cloth. But you were wise to select the aramith balls. They will play very well.

If your friend is worried about the wear of the cloth the best thing you could do would be to use a break pad. If he has a scrap piece of the table-top cloth about 6" x 6" you can place the cue ball on it when you break, otherwise you will start seeing white spots on the cloth.

Wally~~doesn't mind the white spots