PDA

View Full Version : Regional behavioral differences

SPetty
06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
We recently had a horrible tragic drowning of four visiting Chicagoans at the Fort Worth Water Gardens (made famous by the blockbuster movie Logan's Run), three of them children.

Apparently, the out-of-towners got hot, so decided to take a dip in the nine foot deep water. One by one, they got in trouble and drowned.

Is it relatively normal for folks up north (Chicago is north of here, even though it is in the midwest, or is that the mideast) to take a dip in public water features when it's hot?

I've never heard of anyone swimming in the Fort Worth Water Gardens before, and it's not something that anyone else was doing, so I was wondering if they thought it was a perfectly normal thing to do...

Very very sad story.

Barbara
06-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Spetty,

Here in Philly there are four parks that mark the boundaries of the heart of the town and some parks have a water fountain. It's common to see people "cooling their heels", so to speak, but it's a no-no to go swimming. As if you could - they're only 2 feet deep.

However, at the Art Museum the waterfalls alongside the famous steps drain into 4 foot deep holding areas and it's been known for kids to "take a dip" once in a while.

I read about that tragedy and remember the scene in Logan's Run with the Water Park. I guess now fountains will not be allowed to be as deep anymore. What a shame.

Barbara

CarolNYC
06-18-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it relatively normal for folks up north (Chicago is north of here, even though it is in the midwest, or is that the mideast) to take a dip in public water features when it's hot?

<hr /></blockquote>

I've never heard of this-what a tragedy!

Carol

PQQLK9
06-18-2004, 03:12 PM
That was a sad story and you share my views. I remember in Washington,DC when
kids would play in the huge water fountain in front of Union Station which is literally across the street from the Capitol.
http://www.nationalmathtrail.org/institutes/washington_dc_math_trail_pictures/image018.jpg

PQQLK9
06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey Carol...here is the link.

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl drowned and three people, including her father and brother, died while trying to rescue her from a decorative pool where "No swimming" signs were posted.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/06/17/downtown.drownings.ap/

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2004, 07:27 AM
A pump at the bottom of the pool that pulls water to a waterfall apparently created a suction that made rescues difficult, Fire Department spokesman Lt. Kent Worley said.

.........there are no barriers around the area and that steps lead down to the swirling pool. "As a child, when you see a waterfall, you think you can go play and swim there," he said.

<font color="blue">This sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen. A wide open pool of death. What if a kid accidentally fell in? I guess we now know the answer to that. </font color>

Qtec
06-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Tragic.You would think there would be an emergency stop button in plain view for such an emergency.
I think they can expect a lawsuit.You would think they would consider saftey when they build these things.

'Think' being the operative word.

Q

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Nick,
That is just unbelievable!
Carol