PDA

View Full Version : Baby Starlings!

CarolNYC
06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Anybody have any experience in baby birds?
I found 2 baby Starlings a few days ago-eyes closed,little bit of feathers-I put them in a box and up in a tree hoping the mother would hear them-Nope!
So, I took them in-went under a website and rehydrated them by dunking bread into a mixture of Karo syrup and water-I "puddem in the bathroom"and ran the hot shower to keep the temperature warm-Well, they survived the night and now, Im feeding them a mixture of Science diet dogfood,applesauce and baby cereal-their eyes are open, they're chirping like crazy and being fed every 30 minutes-I guess they're gonna survive!
I called the zoo-they wont take them and I called a bird wildlife and preserve place-they're too full!
My question-Will I be able to release these birds when they fly or should I keep them? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Carol~needs the Birdman of Alcatraz!:):):)

cueball1950
06-18-2004, 08:01 PM
your a sweetheart Carol... we have a place here that i will try to check with. i will let you know asap........mike

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Starlings huh,,,well that's the only bird I'll conscious free pop with my rifle, seeing that Uncle Sam says they are absolutely pop-able. Starlings are like invaders from some attacking country "over there", they have been introduced to this continent wrongly, they envade native birds nests and string young american song birds, to fence lines, and take over the nests.

BUT, I sense that you've grown a maternal seed for these beings. Good luck in raising them, and as a hint, I doubt there will be any kind of government or private(bird people) sanctuaries that's going to take them since they are 1st on the government's kill list in N. America 'cept for Bin Laden.

You picked a problem species Carol. Raise them, release them to fend for themselves, and point'em south toward Texas ;-)) sid~~~nickname for starlings is "pool." Shoot pool

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
conscious free pop with my rifle <hr /></blockquote>
Sid,
Im LMAO-you are too funny-my daughter searched through all these websites to identify them- they LOOK like baby starlings-for all I know, they could be something else /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif(I wouldn't mind having a hawk)
Well, my daughter has accepted responsibility for them because ,frankly, I don't have the time! But I'll help her in whatever way I can and when they grow up, I'll send them your way!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 03:03 AM
Your a sweetheart,Mike! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Email me if you get any info!
Miss ya!
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2004, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Starlings huh,,,well that's the only bird I'll conscious free pop with my rifle, ... <hr /></blockquote>

No sh*t /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I wish I was allowed to fire a weapon within the Hamiltucky city limits.

Starlings are like flying rats /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Did you ever see the flocks they have in Europe? I'm sure Qtec has. Folks have to carry umbrellas.

Carol, whatever they are they should be able to fly in 2 weeks max. Let 'em go in the woods and they'll be fine.

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Starlings are like flying rats <hr /></blockquote>
Oh no, I saved flying rats,ha ha ha!
I call squirrels "treerats!"
Well, one of them looks like he's gonna make it-he's a little maniac-the other, I think, has a broken wing-anyways, my daughter says"Ma, they need to eat insects" so I say, "Well, go clean out the bugzapper and start chewing, cause Im not playing "fear factor"
Thanks Wally-once they start flying, they're FREE!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
06-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Carol,

While you're at it, why don't you have Kiana dig up a bunch of worms and mush them up. Birds need protein.

Tell her I'll throw $10 more into what I owe her.

Okay, I don't like starlings either, but a life is a life.

Barbara~~~thinks squirrels are cute in their own way... until they start messing with my gardens...

Rod
06-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Carol,

Not quite like my hummingbird episode. After a couple of weeks feeding them watered down maple syrup, they took off.
At the time someone at a pet place said the parents were around, I just didn't see them. I don't think so. Out here pigeons are a pest. The woman across the street feeds them, there must be a couple of hundred at any given time. ha ha they dive bomb my car with their droppings, it shows so well on a black car. The cat is always bringing one home. Good luck birdlady! lol

Rod

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Ya know Carol,,,I sat and pondered what I'd do if I was to discover something helpless like your birds, and I'm still wondering, undecided. It seems that as I get older, my "compassion trait" favors lots of things it didn't used to, and who knows,,,raising those starlings to give them one chance might be difficult to avoid, even for me. I actually became a cat owner because of an injured kitten crying at the front door some years back, never would have seen that coming ahead of time, "I DON'T WANT A CAT", the rest is history...sid~~~his cat would probably enjoy meeting Carol's birds

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Rod,
Believe it or not, I've never seen a hummingbird in this area! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
So they stayed with you a few weeks, then took off-sounds good to me-
Oh my goodness-pigeons-I have the same neighbor-one time, my whole roof edge was pigeons! It was like the movie "the Birds!"I had to take the hose and squirt them off-I have two skylights and dont want to look at the sky through bird poop! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks Rod!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the offer,Barb,but she freaks if she sees an ant! ha ha ha
Carol-pictures the squirrel with no tail- treerat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
06-19-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as I get older <hr /></blockquote>

Cm'on now Sid,
21 isnt THAT old! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I actually became a cat owner <hr /></blockquote>

Then your a loving man-every man I know who owns a cat, is gentle and kind!
It must be the "cuddling and purring" thing going on there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sid~~~his cat would probably enjoy meeting Carol's birds

<hr /></blockquote> Your cat has to get passed my "attack pug"-let me know ahead of time-I'll have to wake him,ha ha ha
Stay well!
Carol ~also has a cat!

Rod
06-19-2004, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Rod,
Believe it or not, I've never seen a hummingbird in this area! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
So they stayed with you a few weeks, then took off-sounds good to me-
Oh my goodness-pigeons-I have the same neighbor-one time, my whole roof edge was pigeons! It was like the movie "the Birds!"I had to take the hose and squirt them off-I have two skylights and dont want to look at the sky through bird poop! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks Rod!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think it gets to cold back there and I'm not sure how far they travel. Besides yorkers talk with a funny accient! lol Yep they were around for a little over two weeks. I scared them once and they flopped out of the nest. The nest was in a small tree. I put out my finger and they hopped aboard, back to the nest they went. Places that are suppose to take the little critters, don't. I have one now that visits me in the evening. It hovers sometimes less than 3 feet from my face.

Pigeons don't hang out at the house because of the cat I guess and the neighbor has 4 big trees. I did that a few times, hosed em down at another house. They like the palm trees. If that one wing is broken better support it or tape it down.

~~rod, has a feeling Carol might have birds for a while

highsea
06-19-2004, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I called a bird wildlife and preserve place-they're too full!<hr /></blockquote>
Option #1
Put them in a cardboard box with a container of nightcrawlers and a little makeshift nest. Place it in front of the bird sanctuary's door right at opening time, ring the bell, and run like hell! (This is a time honored tradition, and my personal favorite here)
Option #2
Make up a fantastic story about rescuing them from a mine cave-in, or some sort of industrial disaster. Call PETA, tell them you work for the New York Times, and you need to turn the care of these poor tweetys over to the professionals. Emphasize how the birds are only victims of the giant uncaring industrial concerns in America. (You will need a victim company here, US Steel, Standard Oil, DOW Chemical, are all good ones, but try to pick someone local.)Imply that you are in the middle of a piece about the difficulties for animals in coping with urban habitats, but your editor won't publish the story until there is some resolution to the tweety bird's fate.
Option #3
Right before they can fly really good, take them up to the roof and launch them with a wristrocket. If they learn to fly before they hit the ground, they probably won't be back.
Option #4
Learn to be a bird mommy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM

cueball1950
06-19-2004, 09:53 PM
My mother also used to feed the pigeons when i was growing up. She was probably the neighbor everybody dreads..lol... She once said to me you see me feed the pigeons everyday, yet you will never see a baby pigeon. Confused i asked why, she stated that they don't leave the nest until they are full grown. i thought about it awhile and you know what. Although i had lived in the city for 25 years or so, she was right. I have never seen a baby pigeon. So my question to you is this... Have you ever seen one. Think about it long and hard...........................mike

Rod
06-19-2004, 10:35 PM
That's easy, I've never seen one except dead, fell out of a nest. I think however most birds are mature before they leave the nest. How do you tell how young a bird is, size? I know those hummingbirds was near or over to 3/4 size by the time they left the nest.

~~~rod, didn't have a weight scale. Or was it I couldn't hold a full grown one still long enough? lol

CarolNYC
06-20-2004, 03:05 AM
No Mike,
Your Moms right! I've never seen a baby pigeon /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
they don't leave the nest until they are full grown. <hr /></blockquote>

Kinda like our own children?

My oldest daughter got her own apartment recently-TWO BLOCKS AWAY! ha ha ha-not too far from the nest,huh?

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
06-20-2004, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rescuing them from a mine cave-in <hr /></blockquote>

Now thats funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
06-20-2004, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put out my finger and they hopped aboard, back to the nest they went. Places that are suppose to take the little critters, don't. I have one now that visits me in the evening. It hovers sometimes less than 3 feet from my face.
<hr /></blockquote>

Now THIS is very cool!I would love to see that!

On the website my daughter found, it said starlings can talk-maybe if I keep them long enough, I'll teach them some words WITH the accent,ha ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for sharing the story ,Rod!

Carol~keeping an eye open for hummingbirds and will think of Rod! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Rod, we have hummingbirds. I have at least one that comes to our feeder about dusk each night. You hear him before you see him. Sometimes in the daytime he will feed on the butterfly bush.

I think you're right they like it where it's warm. You see a lot of them in KY. I was at a historical village in KY once and they had a huge trumpet vine on a stone wall. There were at least 20 hummingbirds feeding on it. It was quite a sight.

Rod
06-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Wally,

I watched some animal program that showed which animal ate the most. That is amount for body weight. I was supprised to see the hummingbird come in third. A whale come in first. Go figure.

Rod

CarolNYC
06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Wally,
We have alot of finches -a friend gave me a finch feeder and told me put thistle in it-I thought she was crazy, but, lo and behold, at least 20/day feed and they eat upside down,ha ha ha!
Everytime I look at these two baby birds, I think of the poem 'Self-Pity" by D.H.Lawrence:
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry "
Carol~knows failure is NOT an option! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

highsea
06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>I watched some animal program that showed which animal ate the most. That is amount for body weight. I was supprised to see the hummingbird come in third. A whale come in first. Go figure.<hr /></blockquote>
That surprises me about the whale being first.

Where did shrews come in? They should be up there pretty high, a critter with a heartbeat of 2000/min. that never sleeps has to have a metabolism that is way up there.

-CM

Rod
06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I missed second place and don't have an answer. Whales just cruse around and filter small organisms. After a day it really adds up. I remember they showed a picture, comparing it to burgers or human consumption. It was a huge pile.