PDA

View Full Version : True or false?????????????

cueball1950
06-18-2004, 10:55 PM
i was just rewatching a video of a U.S.Open straight pool match a friend from on here sent me. it was of a match that involved Jim Rempe. During the match 1 of the announcers mentioned that Jim Rempe has never won a "MAJOR" tournament. So i checked the book we have at our local pool hall. The Only thing i can find is that he twice finished 2nd to Mike Sigal(however you spell his name)in the U.S. open 14.1. Could this be true???? could he be our Phil Mickelson(golfer)as the best player to have never won a Major????? By the way. what constitutes a major. i only know of maybe 3 we have. The open, the bca, and the world championships in cardiff... am i right, is this true... wandering minds want to know...lol.....mike

cueball1950
06-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Forgot. mickelson won the masters... please do not take this as a knock against Jim Rempe. Have always been a fan of his. I just find it hard to believe he has never won one... just want to get the facts straight........mike

Popcorn
06-18-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't know what would be considered a major tournaments. He won a tournament billed as the "World all around Tournament" around 1984 or 85. I am almost certain it was put on by Grady in Tampa. I remember him winning because I played in it. I think Rempy won the straight pool division and then the all around. He has also won a bunch of European tournaments. He has won a bunch of tournaments in general. I don't think the guys comment made much sense. Rempy is a super-du per player. He has been a threat to win any tournament he plays in for over thirty years. Not that many players have had that kind of longevity. He was one of those great kid players. He busted Squirrel when Squirrel was on the road. I remember it like it was yesterday, Squirrel's backer came into the pool room telling us about this kid that busted them, the backer said "the kid plays so good", talking about Rempy" it will make you throw up".

cueball1950
06-18-2004, 11:52 PM
POPCORN. i agree with his playing ability, longevity and all that. i just cannot figure out what the announcer was talking about, or what he figures is a major. i will watch it again and find out who the announcer was. it was at the last 14.1 in nyc that blatt put on a few years ago.....mike

Popcorn
06-18-2004, 11:59 PM
I just pulled this off the BCA HOF section

JIM REMPE was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania and began to play billiards at age six. “My goal, ever since I was a small child, was to be the best pool player in the world,” he once remarked. At age 13, he renewed his interest in billiards, playing up to 10 hours a day. To further his skill, he frequently went to New York to watch the top pros. After high school, he traveled across the country for three years, improving his game by playing all the best players. He turned professional at age 22. He played so much better than anyone else, he became known by his nickname, “King James”. From 1972 until 1978, he won more championships than any other player in the world. In total, he has won nearly 100 major championships and 11 world titles. Included on his long list of top finishes are the World One-Pocket Championship, the World 9-Ball Championship, the World Straight Pool Championship, All-Around Champion of the World and the Mizerak Senior Tour . Also known as “The Ambassador of Pool”, he has traveled the world sharing his secrets on billiards. An international star and the first major player to bring modern pool to Europe and the Orient, Mr. Rempe has loyal subjects on every continent.

HOME | INDUSTRY | PLAY | PRODUCTS | MARKETING | ABOUT US

Fred Agnir
06-19-2004, 05:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> i was just rewatching a video of a U.S.Open straight pool match a friend from on here sent me. it was of a match that involved Jim Rempe. During the match 1 of the announcers mentioned that Jim Rempe has never won a "MAJOR" tournament. So i checked the book we have at our local pool hall. The Only thing i can find is that he twice finished 2nd to Mike Sigal(however you spell his name)in the U.S. open 14.1. Could this be true???? could he be our Phil Mickelson(golfer)as the best player to have never won a Major????? By the way. what constitutes a major. i only know of maybe 3 we have. The open, the bca, and the world championships in cardiff... am i right, is this true... wandering minds want to know...lol.....mike <hr /></blockquote>Other than oddly billed "World Titles," he's never won the U.S. Open 9-ball, U.S. Open 14.1, or any BCA recognized World 14.1 Championship. I suppose that's what they mean.

Of course, they didn't have these tournaments every year either. I am surprised that he isn't a US OPen 9-ball winner.

Fred

Ralph S.
06-19-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than oddly billed "World Titles," he's never won the U.S. Open 9-ball, U.S. Open 14.1, or any BCA recognized World 14.1 Championship. I suppose that's what they mean.
<hr /></blockquote>

Reguardless of wether or not they are recognized championship events, if I were to put together an all-star type team, "King James" would be on my short list and probably be my second or third pick.

Jimmy B
06-20-2004, 03:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> if I were to put together an all-star type team, "King James" would be on my short list and probably be my second or third pick. <hr /></blockquote>

Really?? 2nd or 3rd pick?? Is this list for all around or just a certain game? I'm sure I could come up with at least 5 names I'd pick before King James and I like him. Would this list be right now or are we talking in their prime??

JB

Fred Agnir
06-20-2004, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> if I were to put together an all-star type team, "King James" would be on my short list and probably be my second or third pick. <hr /></blockquote>

Really?? 2nd or 3rd pick?? Is this list for all around or just a certain game? I'm sure I could come up with at least 5 names I'd pick before King James and I like him. Would this list be right now or are we talking in their prime??

JB <hr /></blockquote>If we said prime, he'd be on my top 5 also.

Fred &lt;~~~ course, there's 10 people in my top 5

Frank_Glenn
06-20-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we said prime, he'd be on my top 5 also.

Fred &lt;~~~ course, there's 10 people in my top 5 <hr /></blockquote>

There is nothing wrong with his knowledge, just because he is past his "prime", what ever that is. Several Pro players improved their game by comming to stay with Jim Rempe for 6 months and studying/working with him. Want names, how about Mika and Ralph. Rempe would help your (that's not aimed at anyone in particular) game a bunch, I would imagine. He would definately be in my top 5, maybe my top 3.

Ralph S.
06-20-2004, 11:18 PM
I would say top 5 just because of over-all knowledge and not to mention he plays all games very respectably well.

Jimmy B
06-21-2004, 02:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>There is nothing wrong with his knowledge, just because he is past his "prime", what ever that is. He would definately be in my top 5, maybe my top 3.
<hr /></blockquote>
Hey Frank I never doubted his mind, I would love to spend just 1 or 2 hours with him, I love the King. But I thought our all-star team was going to play the games and not just talk them over. If we were playing pool jeopardy or talking strategy he'd make my top 3 also, but if we are playing next week, I may pick some others in front of him. I might pick 4 Filipinos before I thought about him. Not a knock in his day Jim would have been my second pick.

JB