PDA

View Full Version : Kerry camp wants Bush to resign during campaign?

highsea
06-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Kerry has come under fire for missing 87% of the Senate votes this year, one of which cost his state 75 Mil. in Federal unemployment aid.

The Governor of Massachusetts has called for Kerry to resign his senate seat so that someone else can be appointed to do the job.

A spokesman from Kerry's campaign responded that if Bush won't resign, then neither will Kerry. LOL, I've never heard of a President resigning so he could run for President.

Also, the democratic party in Massachusetts is trying to rewrite election law for political gain once again. If Kerry defeats Bush in November, the law requires the Governor of Mass. to appoint a replacement for the remainder of Kerry's term. This would mean that a Republican appointee would serve for the remaining 2 years in Kerry's place.

So what are the Dems in Mass. doing? They want to rewrite the law so that a special election is held for Kerry's seat, removing the Governor's appointment powers.

This is just one more example of how the Dems are willing to play politics with election laws. We all know that if Mass. had a Democrat Governor that this would not be happening.

-CM

1a2b3c
06-19-2004, 04:10 PM
the only thing worse than a democrat is a republican. The reason Mass has the republican governor instead of democrats is cause the democrats were gun ban nazi's and the gop and nra hit that state hard in 2002. Yet another loss for the democrats because they try and babysit their voters.

eg8r
06-19-2004, 04:31 PM
That is a bit ridiculous. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh well, point well taken. I just hope the dems of Mass show their appreciation for Kerry when he runs for reelection for the Senate and they tell him, No Thank you.

eg8r

highsea
06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1a2b3c:</font><hr> the only thing worse than a democrat is a republican. The reason Mass has the republican governor instead of democrats is cause the democrats were gun ban nazi's and the gop and nra hit that state hard in 2002.
<font color="blue">I take it you're saying that Republicans are worse than gun ban nazis. </font color>

Yet another loss for the democrats because they try and babysit their voters. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here that relates to the OP. I was simply pointing out that Kerry has done an abysmal job as a senator this year. The President can make decisions wherever he is, and he has a staff to make sh*t happen. It doesn't matter if he is in Crawford or Walla Walla or shooting pool in the basement of the White House.

A senator has to be there while the Senate is in session to cast his votes. Kerry has put his senate job on the back burner while he runs his campaign. Contrast this against Bob Dole, who resigned his senate seat when he ran against Clinton. Dole was arguably the most powerful Senator in America, but he wanted to devote his energies to his campaign without making his constituents pay the price.

My second point was about the Dems in Mass. trying to rewrite election law. There have been 174 instances of governors appointing interim senators since the Senate was created by Constitutional Amendment. Some go on to re-election, but the majority have not. Now why would the Dems want to create a special election system that effectively rewrites the Constitution? Hint: Because it gives them a short term benefit.

1a2b3c, I appreciate your views, but an opinion that relates to the OP topic will be better received.

-CM

1a2b3c
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1a2b3c:</font><hr> the only thing worse than a democrat is a republican. The reason Mass has the republican governor instead of democrats is cause the democrats were gun ban nazi's and the gop and nra hit that state hard in 2002.
<font color="blue">I take it you're saying that Republicans are worse than gun ban nazis. </font color>

Yet another loss for the democrats because they try and babysit their voters. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here that relates to the OP. I was simply pointing out that Kerry has done an abysmal job as a senator this year. The President can make decisions wherever he is, and he has a staff to make sh*t happen. It doesn't matter if he is in Crawford or Walla Walla or shooting pool in the basement of the White House.

A senator has to be there while the Senate is in session to cast his votes. Kerry has put his senate job on the back burner while he runs his campaign. Contrast this against Bob Dole, who resigned his senate seat when he ran against Clinton. Dole was arguably the most powerful Senator in America, but he wanted to devote his energies to his campaign without making his constituents pay the price.

My second point was about the Dems in Mass. trying to rewrite election law. There have been 174 instances of governors appointing interim senators since the Senate was created by Constitutional Amendment. Some go on to re-election, but the majority have not. Now why would the Dems want to create a special election system that effectively rewrites the Constitution? Hint: Because it gives them a short term benefit.

1a2b3c, I appreciate your views, but an opinion that relates to the OP topic will be better received.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Too Funny, you said Walla Walla. Hey i didnt mean to piss you off by getting off topic, though i dont think i was too far off, i did try and explain why there is a republican governor in a liberal democratic state. I just couldnt pass up the chance to bash republicans and democrats at the same time.

You should be use to political parties on both sides trying to rewrite election laws for benefits. You and i both know its not just the democrats doing it and anyone who says it is is either mentally challenged or staight out dishonest and blinded by some sort of party loyalty.

I am guessing that youre a hard core republican supporter, am i right? I just signed up here and dont want to get in any pissing matches over politics, i can go to FReeperville or the DishonestUnderground for that. I was only wanting to explain to any democrats reading this that the babysitting type laws they pass (or try to) are enfringing on our rights and should be illegal. And those very babysitting laws, like seat belt laws, no smoking at the bar laws, not being able to buy a handgun laws, and all the other laws that the democrats seem to know whats best for you are pissing people off and losing seats in congress. Really did a flip flop in 2002 didnt we?

I cant say the world is better off with the GOP in control but im not gonna get in an argument about how good/bad the GOP is.

Nice to meet you, my name is Wes.

highsea
06-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Aww shucks Wes, you didn't piss me off! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't say I'm a hard core Rep supporter, but I am pretty conservative in my views. I am probably more Libertarian than anytining else, and there are a few Dems that I like, such as Joe Leiberman, who I think is a very dedicated and honest guy.

I do prefer the Reps over the Dems on National Security and taxation policies, but I can't stand the gung-ho bible thumping bit.

But I really can't stand Kerry because I think he is a two faced mega-rich lying a$$hole.

Welcome to the board. Didn't mean to slam you on the OT bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM

bluewolf
06-20-2004, 06:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
I do prefer the Reps over the Dems on National Security and taxation policies, but I can't stand the gung-ho bible thumping bit]

There are things I do not like about both parties. But I did not realize that kerry missed this many votes. I guess it seems that when a person runs as president they are a senator or governor or something. Do they usually resign their political office, as Dole did? I do not think that Bush resigned as governor, nor Gore as VP, but what is typical?

Laura

dg-in-centralpa
06-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Is Kerry's position as Senator up for re-election? Just wondering if he'll do as Lieberman did- run for Senator as well as VP. Just in case he loses the presidency, he still has a job.

DG - just wonderin'

highsea
06-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Kerry's term expires in 2006. That's why they are pushing for a special election law, so if he beats GW, they can block the Governor of Mass. from appointing a Rep. replacement.

-CM

highsea
06-20-2004, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Do they usually resign their political office, as Dole did? I do not think that Bush resigned as governor, nor Gore as VP, but what is typical?<hr /></blockquote>
Laura, I really don't know what is the historical norm for a senator making a presidential bid. I think Dole did the right thing, he realized that the demands of the campaign would conflict with his job as a senator, so he stepped aside and let someone else to the job.

A governor or a VP is in a different position. The only time a VP votes in the senate is to break a tie. Governors don't vote in legislatures at all. Both jobs can still be done when the candidate is on the campaign trail, and a Governor has a Lt. Governor at home minding the store. A senator has to be in DC when the Senate is in session, or he isn't representing his constituents.

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1a2b3c:</font><hr> ....You should be use to political parties on both sides trying to rewrite election laws for benefits......<hr /></blockquote>

You're right. They both do it. The Republican-controlled OH legislature recently gerrymandered a Democrat out of a job by completely eliminating his district /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Kerry has come under fire for missing 87% of the Senate votes this year, one of which cost his state 75 Mil. in Federal unemployment aid....<hr /></blockquote>

According to my recent copy of "Guns and Ammo" Kerry missed the unemployment vote but made sure he was there to vote for gun-control legislation /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
06-21-2004, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

According to my recent copy of "Guns and Ammo" Kerry missed the unemployment vote but made sure he was there to vote for gun-control legislation /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That is one thing that I do NOT like about those who typically run as democrats.

Laura

highsea
06-21-2004, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>According to my recent copy of "Guns and Ammo" Kerry missed the unemployment vote but made sure he was there to vote for gun-control legislation /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I guess he doesn't care if you're broke, as long as you don't have a gun!
-CM

1a2b3c
06-22-2004, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Aww shucks Wes, you didn't piss me off! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't say I'm a hard core Rep supporter, but I am pretty conservative in my views. I am probably more Libertarian than anytining else, and there are a few Dems that I like, such as Joe Leiberman, who I think is a very dedicated and honest guy.

I do prefer the Reps over the Dems on National Security and taxation policies, but I can't stand the gung-ho bible thumping bit.

But I really can't stand Kerry because I think he is a two faced mega-rich lying a$$hole.

Welcome to the board. Didn't mean to slam you on the OT bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

I dont like Kerry either, for the exact same reason. I dont really like Holy Joe either. I myself think democrats might be the lesser of the 2 evils but not by much. I would put myself somewhere around a Green/Libertarian. I once had a person on www.DemocraticUnderground.com (http://www.DemocraticUnderground.com) call me a compassionate libertarian, whatever that is.

highsea
06-23-2004, 02:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1a2b3c:</font><hr> I would put myself somewhere around a Green Libertarian. <hr /></blockquote>
You're freaking me out, dude.

-CM /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif