PDA

View Full Version : My Old Fan

Rod
06-20-2004, 06:40 PM
I have a GE Electric fan that was produced in 1918 -1919 era. It is unique as this fan was only made for two years 1918 and 1919. It is all original with Pullman green as the color. Dark green and I assume it came from the pullman coach company of railroad fame. It was later lightened and called Coach green. I think it was handed down from my great grandfather/grandmother. Not all that many people could afford such a luxury at the time, but they could. I know it came from my grandfather to my dad which was in the 50's.

This old relic just keeps on ticking, it weighs at least 15 pounds. Screw in oiler caps with a wick to lubricate the bushings that have little wear. Brass fan blades with a lever that changes three speeds, and they all work. I've always been fond of this old fan and I'm going to take it apart one day for a complete cleaning with new bushings, electrical cord and Bakelite plug. I found an enthusiast that does repair or sells simple parts, so it won't be hard.

This old fan has provided years of comfort to it's owners, I've had it for 10 years. It's time for me to show my appreciation and give it life for many years to come. Did I mention, it is quiet. Not like the buzz boxes and fans they sell today, not to mention years of faithful service.

Do any of you have a special old electrical unit? I know there are a number of old faithful's out there still in use.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi Rod,

I don't happen to but Heide has this thingamajobber that she's had for thirteen yrs. Thought it was going to die out on her once, but the dumm thing came back. The thing never worked right, but did for her for a good 11 yrs. It's not really in good condition and doesn't always do what she expects of it. I do know that when she turns it on. It runs pretty good for a week or so. One day I asked if it was worth the upkeep? She told me that she couldn't part with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-21-2004, 12:07 AM
A circa 1940 Hunter, made in Memphis TN, oscillating fan. Wall mountable. Catalog number 235 Type C12, Serial Number "S 529546" all of this info is off of the name plate still riveted onto the cast iron (and heavy) base. This fan probably weighs around 15 pounds.

I've had this fan since 1974 and have been using it ever since.

All it takes is a little oil, once a year and is so quite you have to check to see if it on.

Living in the south, I learned to all types of Love fans.

Rod
06-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Umm CC, what is a thingamajobber? Is that like a hair curler or what? lol

SpiderMan
06-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Rod,

Read it again, then you'll know what it is. Lucky CC.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I see, whew went over my head again. That's the problem with "those" things, they don't always have to work! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 12:59 PM
The main north-south route thru Appalachia used to be a winding 2-lane US Route 25. One night in 1948 a truck tipped on the treacherous road and spilled a load of cargo.

Among the things that were salvaged (stolen) from the side of the road was a smoke evacuator fan that somehow ended up in my dad's posession. He and his brothers had been riding around drinking when they came upon the wreck.

Have you ever seen a smoke evacuator the fire dept. uses to clear a house of smoke? This thing is about 24" diam. x 24" thick. It has these big swooping blades and moves probly many thousands of cfm.

The old man rigged it up in the attic on particularly hot days since we had no AC. I guess he invented the attic fan /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We have used it to dry carpet. I loaned it to a friend that used to have dances for teens to suck the cig smoke out. It could clean a 3000 sq. ft. room in about a minute.

It's still around somewhere. I'm sure it still works

Chris Cass
06-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks Marty,

Your the best. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Rod, I'm sorry I'm still in code from my det job. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.