PDA

View Full Version : Attention All VA and DC Pool Players- Big Tourney!

JMD in VA
06-20-2004, 09:32 PM
The Virginia State 9-Ball Championships
Dates: July 24-25, 2004
Tournament Info:$60.00 Entry fee - $50.00 in the prize fund, $10.00- Green fee.
Entries may be reserved by sending a Money Order made payable to The Playing Field with your name on it and the name of the poolroom you frequent.
8 spots paid based on a 64 player field. 64 Players Maximum.
1st Place pays Entry into the 2004 U.S. Open, plus some expenses!
Tournament Format:
Race to 9, Double Elimination, Pro-Express Rules
-Warm up and Registration begins at 9 a.m., Play begins at 10 a.m.
- Must be a resident of the State of Virginia or the District of Columbia to participate. Proof of residency required!
For room availability or if you have any questions, you can call The Playing Field @ 804-755-7700 or you can send a reply over the CCB to my email. I will respond as soon as possible.

The mailing address for tournament fees is:
The Playing Field
7801 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23294

I would like to thank my sponsors for all of their support:
The Playing Field, Richmond,VA
Todd's Cue and Pro Shop, Richmond,VA

At the time of this posting I have about 1/2 the field filled up so do not wait to send in your entry fees. I will update here on how many spot are still open.

Thank you for your interest and hope to see you there!
Joshua M. Dickerson
Tournament Director/ Promoter

Doctor_D
06-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Post deleted by Doctor_D

RailbirdJAM
06-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, I, for one, am glad to see the District of Columbia included in the Virginia tournament. Being a native Washingtonian, D.C. seems to get left out of a lot of things, to include representation in the Federal Government, although we D.C. citizens do pay our fair share of Federal income tax.

I met the tournament director of this Virginia State tournament, Joshua Dickerson, a very nice fellow, and nobody has stepped up to the plate to hold a State tournament for Virginia for quite some time. So this is a good thing (IMO). Some Maryland players did seem to be disappointed that they would not be eligible.

If there is a full field of 64 players, the first place winner will receive $1,400, $500 towards free entry into the 2004 U.S. Open and $900 for spending cash.

I ran the Maryland State tournament in 1986 at Champions in Silver Spring, Maryland, and also restricted entry into the tournament to Maryland residents only. I was taken aback when I got a call from a fellow who said he was a Towson, Maryland, resident, who ended up winning the event, none other than Mike Sigel in his prime, the same year "The Color of Money" was released. Cigar Tom Hanover came in second, and Teddy Wilson came in third.

I've been attending quite a few tournaments in the last several years, and it is ALWAYS great to see a local champion make it to the winner's circle. Virginia has its fair share of good players: APA champ Jim "Shorty" Henson, Pookie, tall-guy John Newton, Tommy Kay, Jimmy Mack, Billy Stephens (owner of The Playing Field), and a whole slew of guys from the Norfolk area. The only pool players I know of who live in D.C. currently are UPA Touring Pro and Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour spnosor Jack McGinnis and ex-Californian native Keith McCready.

They just had the New York State 9-Ball Championship this past weekend. It would be GREAT to see a Maryland State tournament, but I haven't heard of anyone taking on this endeavor. Maryland definitely has a healthy share of great pool players: newly arrived veteran players Jerry Slivka, Tom-Tom Wirth, and Ryan McCreesh; '03 UPA Rookie of the Year Mike Davis, Shaun "The Shirt" Wilke, Certified BCA Instructor and Planet Pool 9-Ball spnosor Doug Sharp, Jimmy Parks, Planet Pool 9-Ball sponsor and Great Slates room owner John Moody, Jr., Aaron Nickodemus, and MANY others. The Planet Pool 9-Ball Tour is keeping pool alive and well in this region!

Bravo to Joshua Dickerson for creating this Virginia State championship tourney! BTW, Joshua and I were discussing sweaty palms, a malady that affects some players, especially when it comes down to tournament play. He had an outpatient surgery called "thorasic sympathectomy" where they operated on his sympathetic nerve, and he now does not experience this sweaty palm syndrome anymore. He said there's a lot of information on the website of http://www.sweatypalms.com

RailbirdJAM

bluewolf
06-21-2004, 08:52 AM
How do you prove residency? By driver's license?

Laura

JMD in VA
06-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Proof of residency is by 1 of 2 things:

1)Preferred- a piece of mail with your home address on it. Something official like a phone bill.

2) Valid State Drivers Liscence

Thanks for the post.

Also, by me limiting the field to VA and DC residents, it is in no way belittling the ability of other players in other states. It was just my feeling that the state champion should live in the state. I included DC b/c as one of my fellow CCB'ers posted earlier, DC is always left out. So, I said come on DC, the more the merrier!

Joshua M. Dickerson