PDA

View Full Version : Air Travelers for US Open

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't know how many of you fly down (or up) to Virginia for the US Open in September but if you want to save some cash on your flight ticket, you can always fly Independence Airlines (http://www.flyi.com/).

I'm flying down on 9/6 and returning on 9/13 for a whopping $150. My ex flies for this airline and he's never steered me wrong when it comes to flying and what have you. Oh, and their planes are all jets--no props.

Anyway, thought I'd share it with you.

Wendy~~~77 days 'til the madness starts.../ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PQQLK9
06-21-2004, 10:12 AM
your ex???
I would not trust the judgement of someone who let you get away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

landshark77
06-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Hey Wendy, where are you located? Recently I looked at prices on this airline, and their prices are very comparable to South West and Travelocity/ Expedia. Just wondering how far you were traveling...as I was not impressed by the prices I got for shorter trips..

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm coming in from New York with 1 connection each way which is the usual for me when I fly down to VA. Total trip time is about 2.25 hours. I usually fly United to go to Norfolk but they wanted something between $250-$340.

landshark77
06-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, United is one of the more expensive airlines. Glad you got a deal. I know it is a ways away, but I'd be interested in your experience with this airline, as I will not have an opertunity to fly it before you.

Candyman
06-21-2004, 01:03 PM
You might try Northwest Airlines. They might give you a special deal! Then again, you may end up a Chesapeake Naval Air Station. See related story:Landing incident prompts investigations
By Bill Harlan, Journal Staff Writer

ELLSWORTH AFB -- Two federal investigations have begun, the airline is investigating and 117 passengers now have free airfare tickets to anywhere in the continental United States after a Northwest Airlines plane landed by mistake Saturday at Ellsworth Air Force Base.

"We certainly apologize to all of those customers for the inconvenience," Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said Sunday.

Northwest's Customer Recovery Program will provide free airline tickets to all the passengers on board to compensate for a delay that lasted nearly four hours.

Northwest Flight 1152 - an Airbus A-319 jet - was supposed to land at Rapid City Regional Airport shortly after noon on Saturday. Instead, it landed at Ellsworth, about 7 miles to the north-northwest.

Both runways run southeast to northwest, but their headings differ by about 11 degrees.

The names of the pilot and co-pilot have not been released, but news of their wrong-runway landing was reported throughout the nation on Sunday.

"They thought they were pulling into Rapid City Regional," Ellsworth spokesman Lt. Christine Millette said. "Right before they landed, they realized, 'Oh no, we're in the wrong spot.'"

It was too late to abort the landing, Millette said.

Saturday was partly cloudy, but Millette said she didn't know what role visibility might have played in the apparent error.

After the landing, Millette said, the Airbus was directed to a spot on a runway apron near the base operations center, far from any of the two dozen or so B-1B bombers at Ellsworth. Air Force security police "secured and monitored" the aircraft, Millette said, and passengers were told to pull down the shades on their windows. They were not allowed off the plane.

One of the passengers later e-mailed the Rapid City Journal and wrote that he did not see Air Force security personnel until 10 minutes after the landing, but Millette said base security responded as soon as the tower realized the plane was landing at the base.

Ellsworth officials questioned the two pilots. Three flight attendants also were on board.

Civilian aircraft routinely fly near Ellsworth AFB, and the Ellsworth tower supervises all air traffic within 40 miles, including civilian traffic to and from Rapid City Regional. The Northwest aircraft had not entered restricted airspace, but the Ellsworth runway is off limits except for emergencies. (An American Airlines aircraft having mechanical problems landed there in March.)

The Federal Aviation Administration already is gathering data on the incident. "The FAA is investigating, as we do any unusual event, and this certainly qualifies," FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said Sunday. "It's highly unusual."

The investigation will take "days or weeks," she said. Investigators will interview the pilots and review their medical records, flight logs and training records, as well as maintenance records for the aircraft.

The Air Force will conduct its own investigation, and Cory said the FAA will get information from Ellsworth officials.

Ebenhoch said Northwest also will conduct an investigation, but he said no additional information was available Sunday.

While the Airbus sat on the apron at Ellsworth, Northwest scrambled to find new pilots to fly the short hop to Rapid City Regional. Getting a new crew was "the airline's call," Millette said.

Passenger Robert Morrell, a doctor from Raleigh, N.C., used the delay at Ellsworth to make a cell phone call to the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Minnesota.

He told the paper the pilots made no immediate announcement after the landing. Then a pilot "hemmed and hawed" and announced, "We have landed at an Air Force base a few miles from the Rapid City airport, and now we are going to figure out how we're going to get from here to there."

Morrell said most passengers assumed the pilots had made a mistake, but Ebenhoch said Northwest had not yet determined the incident was caused by pilot error.

Northwest Flight 1152 arrived at Rapid City Regional Airport three hours and 42 minutes late.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 01:07 PM
oops LOL

Fortunately there was a happy, not tragic, ending.

Bet those pilots were a mite embarassed.

Candyman
06-21-2004, 01:27 PM
This actually happened to a buddy of mine who was flight engineer on a 727. The were going to Cancun in the early days and landed on a deserted air field. He kept telling the pilot and co-pilot they were headed to the wrong field, but they didn't listen. My buddy was the only one not suspended. He was still rather embarressed.

Chris Cass
06-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi Wendy,

I need to leave Moline, Il to Va. The round trip that's if I did use them would be $216. total. I don't know if tax is included but I'd still have to drive 3 hrs and pay parking and leave my car for ever there. I found a round trip without tax for $213. from Priceline and they fly out of Moline and I don't have to leave the car.

Thanks for the info,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I forgot to mention that you get $25 off your first roundtrip fare if you join their flyer mileage club. Doh!