PDA

View Full Version : Things I like

Popcorn
06-21-2004, 10:27 AM
To contrast the thread, "Things I hate", here are a few things I like.
I like going to the pool room, usually before it gets busy, get on my favorite table and practice by myself for a few hours. Maybe 14-1, 9-ball, one pocket, or nothing in particular it doesn't really matter. Maybe I will fantasize the big match I'm playing, even feeling the imagined pressure as I try to play my best game. I like the excitement of a new cue and the confidence of an old one. I like the sounds and smells of the pool room, the feel of cloth against my hand and the coolness of the table. I like the reduction of the outside world to the few square yards that are the soul object of my attention. For that brief time, nothing else really matters. It has always been where I found myself, even during family tragedies and at the worst times in my life. I think some family members in the past may have thought me to be disrespectful, but they could never really understand the piece and comfort I get from just knocking balls around a pool table. Competing is great and I compete often, but the time by myself at the game is for me the best part.

landshark77
06-21-2004, 10:35 AM
To contest what some of the folks on the Things I hate tread were saying....I LOVE loud music.

Sorry for throwing your game off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
when a rack of 14.1 opens up nicely, kinda like a flower blooming /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviddjmp
06-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Making that four ball combination-throw-kiss shot out of the pack and my opponent wondering how the heck I saw it-

woody_968
06-21-2004, 10:48 AM
The sound of a ball going into the pocket.

crawdaddio
06-21-2004, 11:02 AM
I love seeing those four, five, six rail shots, caroms, tough kicks, or any kind of difficult or unseen shot--no matter who is hittin' 'em. The 'click' of a well earned billiard. Perfect shape. Like Popcorn said, the feel of a new cue, those first few racks, is priceless. I even like the disapointment in myself when I'm playing badly--it usually means I'm trying to improve. I love the look on my dog's face when I get home, always the same big grin no matter what hour.

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2004, 11:29 AM
The unmistakeable sound of the break.
Soap in the restrooms.

pooltchr
06-21-2004, 11:29 AM
The sounds of pool ball collisions on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A sexy woman who can't keep her hands off of me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(Not necessarily in that order....oh well, I admit it...yes, in that order!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> The sound of a ball going into the pocket. <hr /></blockquote>

I like the sound of the ball rolling down the table. Sometimes I don't even turn the stereo on just so I can hear it /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Things I like,
In no particular order:

- pool websites CCB, AZ Billiards, RSB, Onepocket.org
- pool stories, ones that can only be told at a pool hall
- the US Open, the Derby City Classic
- 9BallGirl
- Chris Cass' family
- All the ladies of the NorthEast that contribute to making pool a more beatiful place.
- All the Texas Ladies that also make pool beautiful.
- Tournament rooms in a pool hall. Q-Masters has one of the best.
- Good touranent directors (Ever been to the Wendy City Classic?)
- The break and run (8 or 9 ball)
- Besting your longest run in 14.1
- defeating that one opponent that has been giving you so much trouble for the last 5 years
- Walking into a new pool hall and being recognized.
- Introducing a friend to pool and getting him 'hooked'
- Reading pool related books, magazines or internet stories.
- Sunday mornings when no one is around and practicing until you know you are 'ready'
- Having someone tell me that "you run a good tournament" and replying "Thanks, but it's easy when there are so many good players"

just to mention a few, I am sure there are many more...

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2004, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> - Good touranent directors (Ever been to the Wendy City Classic?)<hr /></blockquote>What exactly is that? LOL I know you meant the Windy City Classic!

Wendy&lt;---raising an eyebrow.../ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
06-21-2004, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The unmistakeable sound of the break.
Soap in the restrooms. <hr /></blockquote>

Hearing "Congratulations, good game!"

Paper towels in the restroom (as opposed to those hot air dryers).

woody_968
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
Paper towels in the restroom (as opposed to those hot air dryers).
<hr /></blockquote>

I second that!

Rod
06-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I am very similar, that is my own little world if I choose.

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2004, 01:21 PM
I forgot to mention and it might not make sense, but I like the sound of silence.

Cane
06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Things I like and miss.... Respect. Respect for the other players, for the room's equipment and for a players own equipment. Also like quiet. 9-BallGirl is dead on. The only thing I like to hear in a pool room is NOTHING!

Ya know one thing I really miss. When I was young and a player made a great shot, you'd hear the subtle "Thump Thump Thump" of the other players tapping the butt of their cue on the floor. Now you hear loud acclamations of "Great Shot" or "Jam Up" (whatever the hell that means! *S*).

Respect, silence and tradition... that's what I like...

Later,
Bob
Breakers Billiard Academy (http://members.clnk.com/caneman/academy.htm)

Sid_Vicious
06-21-2004, 02:51 PM
I've done three cold boots on the PC and written 3 "silence answers replys" lengthy replys...lightining outside washed out every one in sequence before my actual posting on each one, killing the house power and losing a non backed up piece of well authored text. I did hate that, the lightening zaps and the loss of the text, and then I figured "Well it's damn good that I didn't get lightening struck instead! Matter or perceptive, right?

Silence in a pool hall, especially back when the floors had no carpeting nor any juke boxes, a solo patronage(by one's self) finding the place early-opening-up, it's just gonna be the bartender or room owner and yourself lossening up on the table, for an hour or more, of absolute silence, no matter if it's a PH or out in the forest, all alone with only nature's music, sometimes only the wind in the trees as all of the sound. Being quiet that long and really listening to things you always seem generally to overlook, will disolve into your pool game. Think about it, whether it was the actual silence, or if it was your zoning and not hearing anything but soothing sounds, isn't the silence the one thing that you can reproduce, reliably to an extent?

JM2C sid~~~yea, silence

Jimmy B
06-21-2004, 03:06 PM
To prove I am not just negative I will add to this thread (against my better judgment:-))

Cues, I love Cues fancy ones, simple ones, strange ones, old ones and New ones, I love cues.

The sound of someone else's money hitting the rail after they lost the set to you ($50's &amp; $100's sound best)

People in a bidding war when your name comes up in a calcutta (respect is always nice)

Someone saying "That match was a pleasure to play, you shoot well, thanks for the game" Win or lose after a tournament match (again respect is nice)

Running out when I should.

A well played Safety (even if itís against me)

Getting out of a well played Safety (only when itís me)

People who can read, and ďget itĒ.

And last but not least CUES.

JB

Barbara
06-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Paper towels in the bathrooms.

Clean bathrooms.

Sitting and sweating a match with knowledgeable pool people like Steve Lipsky or Nostroke and just about all of the top JPNEWT players and listening to the comments on the this and that/why and why not of the match.

Hitting a shot center ball into the center of the pocket and hearing that "Thunk". (GC I only)

Hitting a ball with my cue and hearing that "Tunk".

Barbara

tateuts
06-21-2004, 05:31 PM
I too like the Twilight Zone effect. When you walk through the doors, you escape into world that is unreal. The characters, adventures, joking around, emotions, loneliness, winning and losing. You are stripped down to the money in your pocket, your game, and your brain. In the room, not much else matters.

At the same time, how many people escape only to never return?

Chris

Popcorn
06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
It's like anything one does, it has to be kept in perspective. As benign as fishing may be, it would be a bad idea to be sitting on a bank with a fishing pole as your bills go unpaid and kids are failing in school. On the other hand, we all need something we can do at times where you can lose yourself from the daily problems. I think a lot while I play by myself, I like it and after an hour of two I'm ready to get back to business. For me it is an entirely different aspect of the game, no winning or losing just an exercise of the senses. I highly recommend it for anyone that is becoming frustrated with playing or pressured by leagues. Head to the pool room or if you have a table, set aside some time when you just enjoy playing the game for it's own sake.

Karatemom
06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
I also like getting to the pool hall when there's hardly anybody around, getting a 9' table and playing 14.1 with Chris. (We've been playing that quite a bit and have noticed a jump in my game). I like it when friends from out of town come in and we get to play for fun for a while. Playing for fun around here is pretty scarce and it's very relaxing when we can do it. I like walking in and maybe grabbing a beer and watching Chris play, it's better if it's a heated match. It might add a few gray hairs to my head, but it sure is fun to watch.

Heide

dg-in-centralpa
06-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Valley Forge- you have the first match of the tourney and you hear 100 plus tables breaking at the same time. Being at the Belmont with 100K screaming fanatics all cheering for the same horse. Sitting in a boat fishing and not worrying about your job, your house, etc.

DG - probably could think of more if I had the time

Rod
06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Popcorn, I see people view and post to about twice as much to the hate thread. What does that tell you? lol People have to much going on, slow down and smell the roses! All those things that distract you take away from your game. Or add to it in a negative sense.

stickman
06-21-2004, 11:26 PM
I like a freshly vacuumed and cleaned table. I like cleaned and polished balls. I like a highly polished shaft. I also like to get to the poolhall early, when hardly anyone is around, and the jutebox isn't working. I like to hear the sounds of the balls. I like the waitress to bring me a frozen mug of iced tea. I like repairing pool cues. I like pool and everything that has to do with pool. When I'm shooting pool, the troubles of the world can wait. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ryushen21
06-22-2004, 02:05 AM
playing people who i consider better than i am and winning.
shooting the perfect 3 rail position shot for the game.
seeing the ball and my opponent's jaw drop after pulling off the shot nobody thought i could make.

that last one especially.

Voodoo Daddy
06-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Things I like...hmmmmm. well here goes;

1]The smell of a PH..smoke, beer, the begining of mildew build up under the carpet.
2]Watching top talent...its a shame most of you never saw Toby play, Popcorn knows what I mean!!
3]Making that return kick playing 1-pocket on a better player and the railbirds scream as if you just walked on water.
4]That noise you can only hear when the room is silent, after the ball hits back pocket and it makes its way to the ball box...orgasmic!!!

Voodoo~~~has more but will hold back, LOL!!

Vagabond
06-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Watch the Ladies passing by my table and the feeling is better than potting a ball.Cheers
Vagabond

dooziexx
06-22-2004, 08:24 AM
When my favorite girl walks into the pool room and my jaw drops everytime.... Also I like to talk to people that have good knowledge about cues.

stickman
06-22-2004, 02:11 PM
I liked the movie Stickmen on The Movie Channel Extra last night. I didn't like that I didn't have a blank tape for my VCR. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
06-22-2004, 02:44 PM
According to TVGuide.com it comes on again:

Mon June 28th 1:15am TMCXe Channel #328 (DishNetwork)
Mon June 28th 4:15am TMCXw Channel #330 (DishNetwork)

Now you have enough time to go and get a tape.

stickman
06-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks, we'll tape it this time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
06-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Barbara I had a non player tell me at his fathers wake that he could tell my play by the sound of my hitting the cueball. He didn't have to see me playing he could hear me playing. He said it was an all together different sound.

I would like to hear that sound again.####

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Hi ####,

I too can hear that sound, when it's right. I heard it lastnight when Heide was playing. I quickly stopped he and asked her to remember the sound of her last shot. I told her to remember the feeling she had when she shot it. I then told her didn't you feel that the ball was shot with little effort and that the cue went throught the cb as if it was timed so right? She said, she had noticed it too. I told her that's the sound and feel she should feel everytime and to try to duplicate it on every shot.

I know what your talking about for sure,

C.C.