PDA

View Full Version : Maryland State Nine Ball Championship

Rich R.
05-06-2002, 04:40 AM
The Women's Maryland State Championship was held this weekend.
1st place went to Linda Haywood-Shea. She defeated Kim Shaw in the finals, after sending Kim to the one-loss side earlier in the day.
3rd place went to Liz Schwartzreich.

As usual, Three Cat Productions conducted an excellent tournament, with everything running very smoothly.

I'm not sure of the finishing place, either 5th or 7th, but fellow CCB'er Carol NYC had a strong finish, tied with WPBA player, Line Kjoersvik.
Dr. D. also had a strong performance. I believe she finished in 9th place, her highest finish so far. In her final match, she went to hill-hill with Carol NYC.
CCB'er Karla-in-IA also came into town for the tournament. She is a very strong player and her early defeat is only an indication of the strong competition. I also caught a glimse of the Blackheart cue that she uses and it was absolutely beautiful. I hope Karla enjoyed her weekend in Maryland and makes a return visit soon.
Over the weekend, I also had the priveledge of meeting CCB'ers Whitewolf and Mike M. A couple of very nice people, as are all the CCB'ers I have met.

I also made a promise to Carol NYC, that I must keep.
In one of her matches, Carol had the distinction of missing, not one, not two, but three nine ball shots.
Now don't think these were your typical, long, ninety degree cut or three rail bank nine ball shots.
All three were relatively short and straight in shots. LOL.
I hope all CCB'ers at the upcoming BCA tournaments in Las Vegas, remind Carol of these shots. LMAO. You will help her considerably.
Carol, I have kept my promise. LMFAO.

In all fairness to Carol, she still won the match and moved on.

Hope everybody had a good time at the tournament and my congratulations to Three Cat Poductions and the Chesapeake Area Tour for a fine event.
Rich R.

CarolNYC
05-06-2002, 04:46 AM
Rich,
I am LMAO-it was the damn shoe!ha ha ha ha-I know-STOP and put shoe back on!ha ha ha-did we have fun or what? Still got a bruise from falling in bathtub!Thanks Cathy for cutting me off! Love you both!
Have a wonderful day!Oh, it was a pleasure to meet Mike M-Hi Mike!
Carol~no more bacardi for me!ha ha ha

Rich R.
05-06-2002, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Rich,
I am LMAO-it was the damn shoe!ha ha ha ha-I know-STOP and put shoe back on!ha ha ha-did we have fun or what? Still got a bruise from falling in bathtub!Thanks Cathy for cutting me off! Love you both!
Have a wonderful day!Oh, it was a pleasure to meet Mike M-Hi Mike!
Carol~no more bacardi for me!ha ha ha <hr></blockquote>
I don't want to hear about the damn shoe.
Three straight in 9-balls. Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must be taking lessons from me. LMFAO.

We did have fun!

No more Bacardi for you!!!

Rich R.

Doctor_D
05-06-2002, 05:19 AM
Good morning Rich:

In hindsight, you might want to take into consideration the fact that Carol needed the Baccardi ( teaspoon's worth ) prior to and not after those matches!

Now, with all that having been said, she gave me one hell of a time on the table Saturday afternoon. Carol is one tough ( as all New Yorkers are ) cookie !!!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-06-2002, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning Rich:

In hindsight, you might want to take into consideration the fact that Carol needed the Baccardi ( teaspoon's worth ) prior to and not after those matches!

Now, with all that having been said, she gave me one hell of a time on the table Saturday afternoon. Carol is one tough ( as all New Yorkers are ) cookie !!!

Dr. D. <hr></blockquote>
If not the Bacardi, we certainly need something to keep Carol from bouncing off the walls. LOL.
After not drinking anything for the last four years, Jim said she is, at least, a cheap date. LMAO.

I agree that Carol, all the other New Yorkers and all the ladies of C.A.T. are tough cookies on the pool tables. The week end was loaded with great competition.
Next time, I do expect that you will be FORCED to stay for the Sunday rounds. Keep practicing. It is paying off.
Rich R.

Doctor_D
05-06-2002, 06:23 AM
Good morning Rich:

I am definitely looking forward to the first time I am competing on a Sunday !!! I have come close twice, finishing 9th in this and one previous NEWT 9 Ball tournament, but close, as my father would say, only counts in Horse shoes and Hand Grenades!

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Holly
05-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Hey Rich,

Once again as I am off for a second, I got waylaid last night and missed getting the info. from you and your wife that we talked about before you had to leave yesterday. Please accept my appology and could you send me how to contact you so next time I'm in your neck of the woods, maybe we can meet for dinner? : ) I'm a big fan of diners and I know one of the best is in your town!

Take care,
Holly

cheesemouse
05-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Hi Doc,
Way to go on playing good. I think a lot of people would like to take Carol to the hill(Blueberry) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif In my mind you are becoming the poster girls of the ccb for setting your goals and then doing what is needed to get there. We all love the game and would love to be winners in the deep waters but you appear to be a busy woman who uses her time like clockwork and to good effect, as they say "it is just a matter of time" and in your case it seems hard work. All my little friends are impressed /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
05-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Good morning:

Thank-you so very much. I have never envisioned myself as a "Poster Girl" however, when it comes to my extended family here on the BD CCB, I am honored that you have bestowed that honor upon me.

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
05-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Hey there cheesemouse,
as long as you have Jarlsberg ,we'll have THRILLS ON BLUEBERRY HILL!
love,
Carol

cheesemouse
05-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Carol,
I have an old girl friend and 'our' song is Blueberry Hill. While walking up a hill in the rainforest on the coast of Oregon we came upon a little hand made sign that read "this is blueberry hill" with a smiley face and an arrow pointing up a little path......it was a warm rainy day and the bed of ferns at the top of the path made a good.........well I'll spare you the details. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Carol, what is Jarlsberg?????

Rich R.
05-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Holly, I'm sorry it took me so long, but I have responded to you via personal message. Rich R.

CarolNYC
05-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Cheesemouse,
A hill in the rainforest in oregon sounds absolutely wonderful-I hope you had your thrills and "christened" that hill-as for Jarlsberg-its a cheese!ha ha ha-And my song,when Im silly is-High upon a daffodil,I couldnt hardly reacher,i stumbled down like jack-n-jill and skinned my little breacher-oh Miss crabtree!LMAO
But honestly, my songs are "Strangers in the night" and 'My Way"
Stay very well!
Carol

cheesemouse
05-06-2002, 02:26 PM
Carol,
A cheese huh? U'da thunk I'd a known that but then I'm a provincial mouse...we baptized her twice, and later she dubbed me 'ole mud face with flies galore' and I dubbed her 'fern butt who laughs alot'. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-07-2002, 04:38 PM
I had a great time in Laurel, and have the utmost respect for the CAT coordinators and players! It was so fun to meet all of the CCBers as well as the other girls that I read so much about. This was one tough event, and Carol and Dr. D must be very proud of their strong finishes!

My own performance wasn't much to speak of, but then again I played some of the top amateur (soon to be pro!) players and it was really fun! First match: Jeannie Seaver beat me 7-3 (I was SO intimidated by her!). Second match: Sueyen Rhee (intimidated again, but shook it off and won 7-5). Third match: Coleen Miller, who played well until the 7 or 8 ball, then couldn't finish it off. The score (7-2) did NOT reflect her ability. Fourth match: Liz Schwartzreich, who has been aptly nicknamed the "Giant Killer" by Big John Shea (Linda's husband). Liz is a little thing with a powerful game, and it was all I could do to get to the hill with her. My last 8ball shot will haunt me for at least several weeks, probably longer.

Carol is one of the sweetest people, as those of you who haven't met her yet have probably guessed. But she can't hold her liquor. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Dr. D was so kind as to offer me transportation if I needed it, and should be greatly admired for her dedication to this sport. It was announced at this tournament that she is now also a sponsor of the CAT tour, and I know that her support and generosity are greatly appreciated! Rich and his wife are also great supporters - I was told that they are spotted at just about every women's event in the east! We need more people like them to build things up.

I could go on and on... Linda Shea and her husband are wonderful people, I was so happy to meet them. And Bill Stephen was so kind to take some time to play with me and give me pointers for improving my game.

I hope to get over to a CAT or NEWT event soon! Thanks for the great time!

Karla

Doctor_D
05-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Good evening Karla:

Thank-you for those kind words. Believe me when I tell you that the pleasure was all mine. I look forward to seeing you again SOON!

Stay Well,,,

Dr. D.

05-08-2002, 08:52 AM
I think Ellie Chang is the Giant killer, knocking off L Shea, Veronique, Gail Boyd and plenty more in recent tournaments

Liz i call the "stone faced killer"- when she plays she wont give you a smile, a "good luck" or a "nice shot". Only thing she will give you is a beating.

Holly
05-08-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi Karla!

What a wonderful letter! It was a pleasure meeting you too this weekend. Everything ran smoothly, which as always has a lot to do with the players. I do want to also give a special mention two our two CATs in training Kiana Clark and Valerie Crabill. They helped Trish run the board like a little paramilitary force! They were amazing and are wonderful to visit with. Great tribute to their parents and family! I feel the CAT and NEWT tours are truly becoming sisters up and down the east coast.

I enjoyed talking with Jeanne Seaver as well, played her one match late Sunday afternoon, away from the tournament. What a wonderful player and nice person.

One thing I missed that I wish I had been there was hanging with you guys Sat.evening. It sounded like a fun time.

Bill is a great person to pick up pointers from - he knows his stuff for sure. I love to watch him play one-pocket when I get the chance.

Hope to see you again soon!

Take care,
Holly

Rich R.
05-08-2002, 10:02 AM
It was great meeting you too Karla. You are a terrific player.

I don't know if my wife and I attend every tournament in the east /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but we get to as many as we can. We really enjoy watching the competition and all the people are wonderful to talk to.

I saw you talking to Bill Stephen on Sunday. I don't know him personally, but I do know he is a very good player. This past January, at the Capital City Classic, I watched him send Jose Parica to the one loss side and, after being defeated by Johnny Archer, Mr Stephen eliminated Earl Strickland from the tournament. Not bad for a weekend. LOL. I hope he gave you a lot of tips.

Next time we meet, I have to take a little time to get a better look at the Blackheart cue you were using. From where I sat, it looked great and by your play, I'm sure that it does more than look good.

I hope you can see your way to coming east again soon.

Rich R.

CarolNYC
05-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi Karla,
It was very nice to see you-Im glad you came and seen what tough competition for a state championship is- as far as my highest finish,that was not it-and as for the bacardis, after 4 years of not having a drink, living in NY and travelling 5 hours in traffic,I think 3 bacardi&amp;cokes was alot of fun and I has a pissa with Line and many others-its knowing when to stop thats the key-at least I am a HAPPY drinker, but I will stick with my coronas and lime in the future!
Have a nice day!
Carol

Doctor_D
05-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Good afternoon Carol:

You are the best my dear. Additionally, thanks for all your support and helping to hold me up on Saturday night. Could not have done so with-out your help,

Dr. D.

05-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Carol,

I hope you know I was teasing with the liquor remark! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I thought you were a blast and you and Line had me giggling for quite awhile Saturday night! I was really impressed by her as well, and man... what a singing voice!

You were all so great, really. I hope I can come back soon.

Karla

Doctor_D
05-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Good afternoon Karla:

From my point of view, you damn well better come back again and soon. If not, it is highly possible that the NYC girls will come to Iowa and drag you kicking and screaming back to NYC with us ...

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
05-09-2002, 02:02 AM
Your always welcome Lady, and we did have a blast-her norwgian "fugheddadoudit" written on my arm did not wash off for days!ha ha ha
Have a great day!
love,
Carol~still sticking to Coronas

CarolNYC
05-09-2002, 02:07 AM
Hello my dear Dr. D,
I think you held me up!What a pissa!
Have a wonderful and great day! If your gong to vegas-safe flight lady! See you in the sun! remember-purple hair!ha ha
Carol