PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - Longoni Cases - Read This If You Use One

SpiderMan
06-21-2004, 11:27 AM
If you use a Longoni hard case, here is a situation which, though perhaps unlikely, can cause great damage to your cues. I found out the hard way, with my new case which I received in 'Vegas last month.

The Longoni cases resemble a hinged clamshell case of the type used for takedown shotguns. Molded interior liners are fitted inside the top and bottom halves of the clamshell case. Butts and shafts are held in place by slotted foam blocks, similar to the method used to retain arrows in archery cases.

Also molded into the lower liner of the case are two accessory compartments. When the case is closed, a flat portion of the upper liner covers the compartments to keep your trinkets from spilling out into the case interior.

The closure fits well enough that large stuff like chalk cubes will remain trapped, but such is not the case for thinner items.

I had placed a half-roll of quarters in one accessory compartment, with the paper twisted on the end. It spent the weekend being moved from one vehicle to another, maybe with some bouncing around behind the seat of my pickup truck, but it wasn't opened again until Sunday night. When I opened the case I found that the quarters had spilled in the accessory compartment (not a big problem) AND about half of them had found their way into the main compartment (very big problem).

With enough random bouncing and movement, it appears that several of them must have gotten wedged edgewise between shafts and compartment walls. A couple of pristine shafts now have enough "quarter dents" to keep me busy for several evenings of repair work.

Careful inspection by closing the case on different objects seems to suggest that the "cover" to these accesory compartments only closes to within about 1/8". Coins, keys, and other thin objects CAN spill out into your case and MAY damage your cues.

It would have been very easy to design a corresponding plateau on the molded upper liner, which would slightly enter and effectively seal this opening, but such is not the "case".

SpiderMan

Rich R.
06-21-2004, 11:41 AM
May I suggest getting one of the plastic tubes, with screw on lid, used by coin collectors, for your quarters. That should solve the coin problem. Sorry, but you are on your own, with other thin objects.

Chopstick
06-21-2004, 12:50 PM
I called Hector Rosas, the Longoni Distributor and told about the problem. I suggested that a foam pad above the compartment could fix it. He said there used to be a top for those compartments. He's a good guy and I wanted to give him a chance to respond.

woody_968
06-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem, I would hate to open my case and find something like that.

Have you notified the company so that they may want to look at their design?

SpiderMan
06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I suggested that a foam pad above the compartment could fix it. He said there used to be a top for those compartments. <hr /></blockquote>

I may glue something to the upper liner above my compartments, in addition to being very careful about what goes into them.

SpiderMan

Rip
06-21-2004, 08:12 PM
That's too bad about your shafts Spidey! I almost bought the suede/leathery looking Longoni case but the guts of the case definitely lacked what I thought was ample protection. So I bought a Jack Justis and a Ron Thomas instead /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Regards,
Rip

SpiderMan
06-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I'm just thankful I didn't have anyone else's shafts in my case at the time!

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Heu Spidey...check this out...

http://www.moneymachines.com/coinchanger.jpg
McGill four barrel high speed belt changer. Features bumper guard, lightweight and compact and include side hooks for attachment to belts. This McGill belt coin changer has 1 quarter barrel, 1 dime barrel, 1 nickel barrel and 1 penny barrel.
McGill Four Barrel High Speed Changer
Price $34.95
(thare's always a wise guy in the croud /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

glokz
06-26-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your accident man. I couldn't imagine something like that happening to me, I'd be pissed but yet again you should of thought twice about putting those quarters in there...stroke of a genius man. Consider getting a quarter holder or something. I have 2 hard cases which I purchased a year ago and let me tell you, I would not choose any other case than the Longoni one. For one they are extremely durable and not to mention lighter then some of the other cases out there when fully loaded with stuff. I have the 2x5 which I use local pool room visits and a 3x6 which I use for traveling. I have traveled with this case about 7 times there and back. This case can really take a beating, I can vouch for that. I would suggest putting a towel in between the cues though when traveling just in case. Only once did a shaft come loose on me, thank god it didn't endure any damage though. I'll tell you those damn airline workers don't give a damn about anyones luggage no matter if it looks like its contains expensive content. Overall, I would recommend a Longoni case over any other case out there for many reasons. You can purchase them from Hector in Los Angeles (818)400-7960 , he is the U.S. distributor, great guy not to mention. He gave me 10%off show discount when I purchased mine.