PDA

View Full Version : Fair Taxes

mred477
06-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Check this out.

Fairtax (http://www.fairtax.org)

Just food for thought. I haven't had a chance to read the entire page yet, but I figured I'd point it out to anyone who hadn't seen it.

Will

bluewolf
06-22-2004, 04:51 AM
I do think that this is a good concept, but then I am closest to libertarian, if I have to call myself anything.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
06-22-2004, 06:46 AM
interesting concept, impossible to implement.

dramatic changes in the tax system will lead to unintended and unforeseen consequences. Just as the tax reform of 1986, while a good thing generally, played a major role in the S & L debacle.

God only knows what the fair tax might bring

Wally~~wet blanket

eg8r
06-22-2004, 08:07 AM
So far, I really like the Fair Tax.

eg8r

Qtec
06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Why doesnt that surprise me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

mred477
06-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Wally,

Not sure that unintended consequences aren't worth the trouble of changing the system. Other than putting a bunch of CPAs, tax lawyers, and IRS officials out of business, the downside would be fairly minimal.

I just think it's a fairer way to tax people. People with more money pay more taxes because they buy more stuff. With no taxes on groceries and up to the poverty line, it doesn't take advantage of the poor. Plus, it would get rid of situations where people get a large (over $1k) tax "rebate" who only pay $500 worth of tax in the first place.

Not only that, but I would hope it would lead to more accountability for where the money's going once it gets to the government. Of course, this is just a pipedream of mine /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Seriously though, with all the databases and spreadsheets out there, is there anywhere we can obtain a comprehensive list of where all our government dollars are going? Just curious.

Will

highsea
06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Personally, I don't think it goes far enough. I'm for replacing every tax in America with a flat sales tax. One for Counties, one for States, and one for Federal. No exceptions, everything sold is taxed at the same rate, corporations or individuals, doesn't matter.

If the Fed. or a State gov't needs more money, the Legislature increases the tax rate. Deficit spending would have to be covered by selling Treasury or Municipal bonds, and the budget would have to balance every fiscal year by law. Public services like roads, schools, police, and emergency services are funded from the coffers based on population.

-CM

mred477
06-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Have to be a little bit careful though, just because you could end up having a 70% sales tax if those dolts in Washington (and state and county level too) don't stop spending. This is the real reason that this tax isn't going to be implemented. There's no way to take money from the rich and give to the poor, which means even poor people would want tax cuts.

Will

highsea
06-22-2004, 03:21 PM
If businesses paid the same rate as individuals, there would be a lot of pressure on Legislatures to keep the rates low. A 2/3 supermajority could be required for any increases.

If you were to tax corporations at the same rate as individuals, a 10% Federal sales tax would probably cover the budget as it stands today.

-CM

Qtec
06-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Just one view.

http://www.warresisters.org/images/pieFY05.jpg

highsea
06-23-2004, 02:02 AM
I don't see any pepperoni. WTF kind of pizza is that?

-CM~~~your point???

mred477
06-23-2004, 07:43 AM
The liberal looks at that chart and says we spend too much on our military. The conservative looks at it and says, "No wonder our government is screwed up....it's 33% HR." /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif None of which has anything to do with the fair tax or its merits.

Will ~ experience has made me a Dilbert fan

TomBrooklyn
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Why does a slight tax increase cost you $1,500 and a substantial tax cut save you fifty bucks?