PDA

View Full Version : Interesting pool article

Popcorn
06-21-2004, 06:41 PM
This is from a few years ago. It is interesting reading.

http://www.newtimesbpb.com/issues/1999-04-08/feature.html

PQQLK9
06-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Nice article Popcorn,thanks for the post.

Rod
06-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Yes I enjoyed reading it. Danny use to be out here years ago at the Golden Cue I believe. One thing for sure, it's not easy to find a bathroom window to escape anymore.

rod, use to know some outs

Popcorn
06-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I was in a place one night and ended up leaving my cue there. I was playing a real nut case and this was not going to end well for me. While he was racking the balls I put my cue on the table and said I will be right back. Once out the door I ran to my car and took off. It was a pretty nice Palmer cue.

Chris Cass
06-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks Popcorn,

That was really good reading.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Once out the door I ran to my car and took off. <hr /></blockquote>

All too common, I'm afraid.

I was playing by myself in the 777 club Saturday afternoon. It's more of a dart bar, with only 6 pool tables. A couple dozen patrons, but no pool players (amazing since pool is free on Saturdays), so I was just shooting balls around.

A guy that looked "sort of familiar" walked up and asked me to play. We shot about 2 or 3 games and he started asking to play for 5 a rack. Normally I don't gamble because it seems to bring out the worst in personalities, something I'd rather not deal with when I'm out trying to enjoy myself.

Anyway, I let him talk me into it. He played pretty good 8-ball, and won the first game, though I did notice a tendency to cheat. He kicked at a ball, made it, and hooked himself, then claimed he was playing a safe. I let it slide, with a mental promise to interrupt him for a call before any similar shots.

So I reached into my pocket to pay him and he looked all around like he was concerned who was watching, put a penny under the rail, and said "Let's just mark the games, I have one". I agreed, but added "We'll pay up at 4 ahead, that's $20".

I beat him the next 5 games. As I shot the ball before my last 8, he walked over to the bar, out of my immediate line of sight. When I looked up, all I saw of him was a cue leaning on the bar. He must have squatted down and duck-walked around the bar to the doors on the other side!

One of the regulars told me that this guy is just a two-bit hustler who sporadically visits several local bars to rob the casual players, but never spends a nickel. Just reinforces my thoughts about gambling, I suppose.

Anyway, if you're in Dallas and play a little short black bastard named "JoJo", make him pay every game.

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
06-22-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
Anyway, if you're in Dallas and play a little short black bastard named "JoJo", make him pay every game.
SpiderMan[/quote

That is TOO funny...thanks for the heads up /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

06-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I really enjoyed that, Popcorn; thanks very much. Danny D's been one of my favorites for years. His accomplishments are quite remarkable: he's played four sports professionally (how often do you hear that claim?), won major titles in each of pool's four major disciplines IN FOUR SEPARATE DECADES, and also fathered four children in four separate decades. (The last, if not the last two, are almost certainly records.) I was just about the only one who went to bat for him when he was accused of being part of the late Greg Hatch's cocaine-running ring, and I was right. GF

dooziexx
06-22-2004, 12:09 PM
That was great reading...Eventhough I'd like to excel in this game one day but I wouldnt want to trade my life for his. Not knowing when the next payday is coming must be real tough especially with a family to feed.

Popcorn
06-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I wasn't refering to running out owning money. I had to get out of the place before I got stabbed or something. I had a guy run out on me one time in a bowling ally. I was beating him on the wire and he said he was going up front to the bar and asked if I wanted anything. I said I would have a coke and gave him a $10.00 and said it was on me. He never came back I got stiffed for the money and lost $10.00. I actually had to laugh after I realized what had happened. Good hustler I am.

Pelican
06-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Thank you Brother Popcorn. Excellent link. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
06-22-2004, 06:29 PM
ha ha, you got conned, I know the feeling. I never left owing either, bad things can happen, it's time to scoot. I never left a cue though.

Popcorn
06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
There was no way out of this. I am playing a guy that won't quit and is getting madder and madder. It a point he was not even trying, just slamming the balls telling me he didn't care about the money, acting really nuts. My only real fear is crazy people, there is no way to reason with them. When you are playing in bars you have no control who will challenge the table. Leaving the cue giving the impression I was coming back was just a quick decision.

Rod
06-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I've run across guys like that, it is scary. I've even had the occasion to boot a couple out of my room, with some backup of course. It helps to have a tush hog, big friends, or a stun gun.

I played a guy similar once, I swear his mouth was foaming. This guy had to be loaded on speed or something. After I gave some games back, I told him, I had to go but we would play again. That must have helped his ego, hell he probably thought he was a winner. A room owner might step in but if your unknown maybe not. What ever it takes to slide out of the place. I'm talking about the past, usually room owners today take care of business.

Ralph S.
06-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks for posting the link popcorn. I always enjoy a good story like this one. Do you have any more?

Voodoo Daddy
06-23-2004, 06:18 AM
From that article;

"People just don't [censored] get out and play like they used to," says Toby Sweet, who once owned Gold Crown and says he's played pool in "a thousand small towns and most of the major cities."

Voodoo~~~gotta love "OLD SCHOOL"

Chris Cass
06-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi Rod,

I was 17 and got into an arguement with my girlfriend at the time. She broke up with me because I wasn't spending any time with her. I was playing pool and worked with my Dad and I really didn't see her maybe once every 2 weeks. I was a frustrated young man and didn't care anyway.

I went to a truck depot where they off loaded trailers for Bekins. I was offered the opportunity on standby to go on the road with a trucker long distance as a loader-helper. I took the job. Was only suppose to go to Co. and be back in 1 mths time.

Turns out I was gone 3 mths. I got paid, $15. a day and got $30. for a room when we stopped for the nite. I also had the choice to keep the $30. and sleep in the trailer with the furniture. If we loaded or unloaded the furniture then, for working I got what ever that particular state paid min wage. Florida was so low on the pay scale at the time.

We stopped in this truck stop to spend the nite. I walked in and found a bar box, about 3am. I started playing and seen one guy playing. I walked over and asked if he wanted to play some for $5. a game. I beat him out of $20. and his 2 friends walk in.

Big guys with 10 gallon hats and truckers of course. The guy I was beating was so kind to mention to them, I was hustling him. These guys were really big. They put their quarters up and said they wanted to play partners.

I seen where this was going quick. I looked for the door besides the one I walked in for a quick getaway. There was only one. The door I came in. The one big guy blocking it and I was about to $hit a green brick. Came time to play they insisted on partners.

I quickly said, "Well, I'll go get mine. He's right out there, pointing to the restaurant." I had nobody and the trucker I drove for was in the truck sleeping. They told me, that was no problem. I have to pick one of them. They said we'll play for $10. a head.

Now, my mind is racing and I can feel the adrenline ruch through my body. I said, "Naa, I would but I really have to go." They told me I wasn't going anywhere." Now, not knowing what to do I grabbed the cb and wipped it at this glass frame picture on the wall. They all stopped and looked as the glass shattered and I hit the one blocking the doorway in the groin with my cue and as he bent over I ran out the place.

It was the only time I ever got into a fight over a pool game. Once outside I was stuck there the entire night by the truck. I was hoping that I wouldn't see them the next morning. The good part was there where so many trucks there, they wouldn't find me.

I too left my cheap two piece SP. Ended up after 3 mths in Fla. Spent, 3 days at Walt Disney world. Came time to unload at this last stop and while off loading the trailer into this new Fla home. It started raining out of nowhere. The trucker I worked for told me to quickly cover the furniture because the rain was really coming down.

I guess, I wasn't fast enough for him and he was yelling at me calling me stupid. We'll, I told him he was stupid and to off load the damm truck himself. I walked off the job and hitch-hiked to Tampa and called home for a plane ticket. My parents asked where I was and didn't really have the money but wired it to me after 2 hrs wait. The first time I ever flown.

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
06-23-2004, 08:23 AM
There is a real different mind set I think now, it does cost a lot more also. I use to have a VW Karman Ghia I ran around in and gas was 35 or 40 cents a gallon. You could stay in a Ramada Inn for $11.00 a night, some places for $6.00 and the funny thing is, you usually played for around what people are playing for now. I could easily win $50. to a couple $100. a night with a daily nut of like $15.00. To be honest, it was a good paying job. Everybody I knew was on the road and many of them far from champions. The bar table made the difference though. Every town now had dozens of places to play and hundreds of people to play with, many of them new to the game. It would be hard to go on the road now, even if your only goal was to hopefully break even and have a little adventure and get some experience, not to mention how many good players there are now. Unless you are a champion, it would be tough to go in a place today and ask if they have anyone around who wants to play. Some guy you never heard of will show up who never misses, I'm not kidding, these kids all play good. There is not much excuse for not playing localy though, whether in small tournaments or matching up a little. Pool players should be playing pool, not sitting on the sidelines.

Leviathan
06-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Good stuff, Popcorn. I'm gonna print it out and give it to a road player I know. Some of these guys seem to value the folklore of the life.

AS

SpiderMan
06-24-2004, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
SpiderMan[/quote

That is TOO funny...thanks for the heads up /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, make him post up before you begin! He's bald also, hard to mistake.

SpiderMan