PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations

catscradle
06-22-2004, 06:09 AM
I was just perusing Amazon to look for books for my morning and evening commuter train rides. There recommendations tend to be books by authors I just bought. Big help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I'm looking for fiction recommendations, no love stories thank you very kindly. I read a lot so I expect a lot of repeats, but I figure I should be able to glean something.
TIA, let 'em fly.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-22-2004, 06:41 AM
books (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=109833&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1)

Wally_in_Cincy
06-22-2004, 06:42 AM
more books (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=107919&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1)

Leviathan
06-22-2004, 07:11 AM
If you're not crazy about the current crop of books, you might enjoy reading or re-reading some older stuff: Red Harvest (early Hammett), Youth and Typhoon (both by Conrad), King Solomon's Mines (Haggard), Polar Star (Smith), Funeral in Berlin (Deighton), Atlantic Fury (Inness), Valdez Is Coming and The Bounty Hunters (both by Leonard)...

AS

Qtec
06-22-2004, 07:20 AM
My all time favourite book is Catch 22.If you like humour you should try Ben Elton.

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-22-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm a horror buff so anything by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Bentley Little do it for me. Some of my fav recommendations respectively are The Shining and Salem's Lot, The Taking and Whispers, and last but not least, The Store and The House. Hope these help!

Oh, and of course, any of the Tales from the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, and The Haunt of Fear comic books. They're oldies, but they're definitely goodies!

highsea
06-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Anything by Vonnegut that you haven't read.
Deadeye Dick
Breakfast of Champions
Welcome to the Monkey House

Science fiction;
Downbelow Station ~C.J. Cherryh
The Mote in God's Eye ~Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Heechee Series ~Fred Pohl

Mainstream fiction;
The Shipping News ~Allie Proulx

Speculative Fiction;
Any short story collections by Harlan Ellison, Connie Willis, Gene Wolff, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Theodore Sturgeon, or Kurt Vonnegut.

-CM

Leviathan
06-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Meant to mention Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn mysteries: I like A Thief of Time, Dancehall of the Dead, and Skinwalkers best.

AS

Mr Ingrate
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Almost anything by Dick Francis (http://members.aol.com/dfbooks/books.html) and absolutely everything by Thomas Perry (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/thomasperry/home.html) .

WaltVA
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I'd recommend any of Robert B. Parker's books; they are tightly structured and he tells so much of his story in dialogue that they are incredibly fast reads. Most of the older Spenser series is available in paperback and would be the ideal commuter read.

Also, any of Michael Connely's novels featuring L.A. homicide detective Harry Bosch. The most current is The Narrows , but you might want to start with Lost Light or City of Bones and work forward or backwards through the series from there.

If you want to go back in time, any of the old John D. MacDonald books are good light stuff and may still be available in paperback, new or used.

It's neat to see how a prolific "series" author like these changes and develops, along with his characters, over the years, IMHO.

Walt in VA

catscradle
06-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions I am sure they will prove useful. I will continue to monitor this thread for late entries.
BTW, is there a way on CCB to identify a thread for automatic monitoring so you get a pm or something when a message is added to it?

My suggestions:
One of my all time favs "Lucifer's Hammer" by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven.
As another post said anything by Vonnegut (hence my handle).
"Cold Mountain" - Haven't seen the movie yet it will almost surely be disappointing.
"The Black Flower: A Novel of The Civil War" by Howard Bahr, can't recommend this one enough.
Given the current "Lord of the Rings" craze, try "Bored of The Rings" by the National Lampoon with the irresistable characters Frito, Dildo, Goodgulf, and the Ballhog.
"Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance"
Ken Kesey

I could go on, but my aging mind is failing me again, thereby making this work, don't wanna work, not at this anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-23-2004, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>...anything by Vonnegut (hence my handle)....
<hr /></blockquote>

Here's wishing all CCBer's a light-gravity day /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
06-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Minor point: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is Robert Pirsig, not Kesey, although it has a Keseyian flavor to it. Great book.

Some fiction books I've read in the past couple of years and recommend:

The Corrections - Jonathon Franzen
Sick Puppy - Carl Hiassen
The Risk Pool - Richard Russo
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb
The Many Aspects of Mobile Home Living - Martin Clark
White Oleander - Janet Fitch
Moo, Thousand Acres, and a couple others by Jane Smiley
Cold Mountain - Frasier
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijre?
The Man Who Wrote the Book - Erik Tarloff

It is irritating though when a book I like is picked for the Oprah book club, so it becomes a "chick book." Good thing I'm secure in my masculinity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif What can I say -- I am fascinated by people and how they think, what they think, what they do. But I also like mindless mysteries except they make me keep reading too late and then I'm a zombie the next day at work.

catscradle
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Minor point: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is Robert Pirsig, not Kesey, although it has a Keseyian flavor to it. Great book.
<hr /></blockquote>

The list came out wrong, though I couldn't remember who wrote "Zen...", I didn't mean to associate Kesey with it. I meant "Zen..." and anything written by Ken Kesey.
I read better than I write. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato
06-23-2004, 04:54 PM
One of my favorite things in life, reading.

This is a thread I can really sink my teeth into. Hopefully I don't bore too many people with this.

Ready?

Any "Prey" novel by John Sanford
"McNally" books by Lawerance Sanders
Lawerance Sanders in general
Stuart Woods
The "Fletch" books by McDonald are great
Wiltse
Thomas Harris (Red Dragon is still an all time favorite)
Tim Dorsey (Hilarious reads)
Jeffrey Deavers
Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum novels, blame Lorri)
Robert W Walker
Dean Ing
Tom Wilson
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta novels)
Cannell (especially King Con &amp; Riding The Snake)
Clive Barker (Books of Blood is awesome!!!!!)
Very old Stephen King. I'm currently choking my way through "4 Past Midnight" and it's horrible. I'm kind of into the 3rd book though "The Library Police" the rest of it sucks. No wonder "A Secret Window" bombed in the theaters, it's terrible. But "The Shining", "Salem's Lot", "Christine", "Cujo", &amp; "The TommyKnockers" are tough to beat.

Leviathan turned me on to Dan Brown and I'm almost through my 3rd book.

Hillerman didn't do it for me but "Skinwalker's" is definitely well written.

I could go on forever but I better stop.

I've got tons more. PM me and I'll rap with you about them if you're interested. Anything from military to comedy.

Kato~~~600 books and growing /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Leviathan
06-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Hiya, Kato. Good to see you posting now and then. I like P. Cornwell myself--but I don't think I steered you to Dale Brown. Be good--

AS

Kato
06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Sorry Alan, I meant Dan Brown. You did send me DaVinci Code which led me to Digital Fortress which has led me to Deception Point.

Kato~~~thanks Bud, I'm around, just in hiding /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey, I said Dan Brown /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Dale Brown writes military type stuff. I've got a few of his books to, he's good as well.

Kato~~~got tricked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Leviathan
06-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Good grief! Two more books: The Hot Rock and Bank Shot, both by Donald Westlake. Crime stories, very funny.

AS /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Predator314
06-24-2004, 02:02 PM
I really liked this book (https://premieremarketingstore.com/index.cfm?store=hannity)

SPetty
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I really liked this book (https://premieremarketingstore.com/index.cfm?store=hannity)<hr /></blockquote>Well, catscradle was looking for fiction recommendations... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

catscradle
06-25-2004, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I really liked this book (https://premieremarketingstore.com/index.cfm?store=hannity)<hr /></blockquote>Well, catscradle was looking for fiction recommendations... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

When I started this thread I expected 3 maybe 4 people to respond. Since so many have responded the thread has taken on a life of it's own and decided to concern itself with non-fiction as well. I think that is better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross
06-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Catscradle, I think SPetty was making a joke... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif